ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
No plan yet. For the Cascade Route, it primarily depends on when Apple Jam is available. I have limited weekends available for a long trip, so if the Cascade Route doesn't work out, I'll likely be looking at one of the other OBDR routes that I can do in 3 days or so. Or possibly tagging along with one of the other inmates who are offering it up as an alternative...

Not sure yet if my wife will be going. Not likely though. Either way...given the ride report AJ listed for his Cascade Route, I expect that I would be doing a one way trip on those tracks. I would then either ride home or have a rig waiting in Sisters to trailer the bike home.

I haven't seen the tracks you mentioned from AJ. I'm game for starting wherever he thinks is best. He rides a hell of a lot more often than I do! :) I'm hoping to get a lot of riding in before this trip so I don't slow folks down too much! I'm beginning to look at gear for the bike and am considering whether or not to leave my home made ammo can panniers behind on this trip in favor of some soft ones...
I like the idea of riding from Portland down to Sisters via dirt. That would be sweet. I am thinking that I may extend it after that and do a week or longer.

Another inmate I know that I've ridden with a few times bought some tracks and maps that I may be getting from him. I'd like to have a few options.

I still don't know if I want to ride with a bunch of people I don't know so I'm still on the fence about that. I'm much faster off road that on and tend to get left behind on pavement. But that was on my 250, 650 may flip that and I may be slow off road also now.

Yeah, it may be better to get soft luggage. I'm planning on getting the Giantloop Coyote bag. That and a duffle bag should be all I want or need.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
I like the idea of riding from Portland down to Sisters via dirt. That would be sweet. I am thinking that I may extend it after that and do a week or longer.

Another inmate I know that I've ridden with a few times bought some tracks and maps that I may be getting from him. I'd like to have a few options.

I still don't know if I want to ride with a bunch of people I don't know so I'm still on the fence about that. I'm much faster off road that on and tend to get left behind on pavement. But that was on my 250, 650 may flip that and I may be slow off road also now.

Yeah, it may be better to get soft luggage. I'm planning on getting the Giantloop Coyote bag. That and a duffle bag should be all I want or need.

I plan on spending up to 5 or 6 days, depending on what else I have going on and who is in/out for the trip. It's a little awkward at first with a group you don't know, but that's how you grow the circle of friends! :) That's how I met Apple Jam and a bunch of other guys...my buddy and I tagged along with them on their Barlow Road trip last May.

Yep...I think soft luggage may be the way to go too. My ammo cans are heavy and really add some width to the bike. Might get hairy on some of the roads AJ has described...might not be great for deep ruts either. I have a large dry bag I bought for the Barlow Rd trip, but my buddy picked up a dry duffle on Craigslist that I think is a much better option. Much easier to get to everything.
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I've been watching this thread from the beginning and would really like to ride along depending on the dates and if I can get the time off.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #19
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The more the merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baroquenride View Post
I've been watching this thread from the beginning and would really like to ride along depending on the dates and if I can get the time off.

The more the merrier! I have proposed starting off on Wednesday, August 27th and going into Labor Day weekend. The Cascade Route that has been proposed depends (for me) on the ability of Apple Jam to be the fearless leader as the route is his baby. Fingers crossed on everyone being game for that weekend! :) Welcome aboard!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Crap, I just realized this was over Labor Day weekend. I usually go on a long distance street ride with a close friend. Hmmm, any chance a guy on a VStrom could do this?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Vstrom

Quote:
Crap, I just realized this was over Labor Day weekend. I usually go on a long distance street ride with a close friend. Hmmm, any chance a guy on a VStrom could do this?

Well...I suppose that depends mostly on the rider and the tires, but have you looked at Apple Jams ride report for the Cascade Discovery route? That might give you a good feel for what we're hoping to be up against.

That being said...Labor Day is the weekend I've proposed for the trip so far. That is what will work best for me, but I haven't heard if it will work for Apple Jam. At least one other has said that Labor Day works for him, but I know it is a busy weekend for folks. I'm hoping that with this much notice, we can get people on board for a big adventure! :)
Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #22
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
People do it on big GS1200's, I would imagine a VStrom could do it also. I did a ride last year with some ADVer's here on Mt. Hood and was quite surprised at how well one guy did on his VStrom. I was on a 250 so it was cake for me, but he got through some touch sections that I just knew was going to destroy him and his bike. I don't think the OBDR has any real bad sections. Worst case, he can go around them.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #23
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Sorry, I haven't checked in here all week.
Labor Day Weekend is bad for me, I have Sound Rider's 'Rally in the Gorge' to attend at Hood River County Fairgrounds. It's dates are listed as the August 28th - Sept 1. My wife and I have 2+ weeks off mid-August for a big trip. I need to check those dates again.

The CDR route actually leaves from Hood River, but PDXers can easily come towards the Hood on Abbott Road, leaving out of Estacada. It's a great Wilderness-edge ride to start the trip. You can pick up the CDR there, or head towards Hood River for the best parts of the CDR, including Barlow Rd. If I get to go with you or not, I'll give you tracks as soon as I organize them.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #24
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
As far as which bike is suitable...that's up to the rider. Sections that are tough for bigger bikes are hard because they are difficult to ride slowly on these bikes. They don't 'tractor' slowly up hills like many 250s, they must storm through sections to carry enough momentum to make it. All bikes would make all sections with a committed rider.

It's easy to ride with others that are not in hurry to get somewhere, it's harder when someone has too much 'schedule'. I tend not to overplan or schedule, and let each day fold itself out as it may. I ride fast, but I'm never in a hurry. I'm on vacation when I ride, so no stress is allowed.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #25
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,211
So, early happy 40th B/D Rick K. I have done the whole thang, it can be a real sweet ride if the weather cooperates.

Some things to consider: AJ's advice on sched, speed and so-on is gold. We have both learned it the hard way, you don't have to. We took a week to do it, the layover day in the Blues was worth it.

I did it with a support vehicle that took all food, BBQ, campo gear, beer and gas to a fwd campground. That was totally worth my fraction of the RV gas to do so because I got to ride an unladen bike, just water, power bars and spare tube. Which is another important point:

If you ride an unladen bike, not only is it way more fun/safer, but your risk of pinch flats goes way way down. Pinch flats are probably the #1 ride-killer for large groups of laden bikes going places they haven't been before, wastes a lot of time, unless you are careful to pick scenic spots to have a flat. In my experience, that happens only one out of five.

Ride it south to north, sun will be behind you, way easier to see.

The southern end and northern end are really good, don't blow those off.

Southern end has a section that goes to 2nd highest road in the state, just east of Lakeview.

The northern end has a section in the middle Walla Walla River canyon that is so narrow, exposed and scary I will not do it again; you have to ride that!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #26
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well...I figured Labor Day might be tough. We're still in the early stages of planning though and now is the time to throw out some dates that work for folks.

I think I can work any of the first three weekends in September. I still vote for leaving on Wednesday morning and taking our time to do either the Cascade route (likely a one way trip for us noobs so we aren't in a hurry), or some combination of OBDR routes that we could make a casual 3-5 days out of.

If it turns out my wife can't (or doesn't want to) go, then I could likely do mid August as well, but I can't plan on that just yet.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #27
KillerD
BoozeMagician

Oddometer: 137
taking five days off is a pretty tall order for me...but... I'm potentially in for this. Would be my first OBCDR trip but I'm decently confident off road and I have a 3 gallon draft system that mounts to my KLR so that's got to count for some thing. I'll keep an eye on the thread but august would definitely work the best for me.
KillerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #28
PBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
This sounds fun. I am keeping a close eye on your selected dates. I really w any to het out this summer to do part of the OBCDR.
PBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #29
Righty65
Lebanon, OR

Oddometer: 43
Want to go

I will not pick vacation time at work until March. Then I'll know if I can go.

I ride at a medium speed on my KLR 250 and I have Anakee 3 tires (80/20) so I am not going to keep up with the orange KTM beasts :)

Any riders who want a more relaxed pace and who know the route please pm me.

Righty
Righty65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #30
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome!

Welcome to all those who are considering it! Woot!!! I'm hoping to make this a big, relaxed, just plain old good time! What better way to celebrate another year older?! ;)

I don't plan on being a speed demon either. I'm game for pushing my skills and adding some thrills, but all in all...I'm in it for being outside and enjoying the views.

I'm still open to most of September, but as mentioned...the days going into Labor Day weekend are my first choice. That may mean one of the standard OBDR routes though as it sounds like Apple Jam can't make that weekend happen for leading a trip on the Cascade route...