Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Am I the only one who thinks "poseur" when I see track tires like that on a streetbike? They're nearly always race take-offs bought on the cheap and then slapped on a streetbike to make it Look like the owner has a clue how to ride. Both the front and rear look worn flat down the middle in the photos.
You call it poseur, I call it economics:

I ran them for many years, it was 20.00 mounted for a set and I got about 2-3,000 miles out of them. It was by far the cheapest way to get tires other than steeling them. Not everyone can afford 350.00+ for a set of tires every year, but 20.00 every two or three months is doable.

Every track day I have ever done was on tires like those. I am by far no expert and my bike is a street bike, not a sport bike... therefore I don't wear my tires in the same manner on the track. The sections that others wear out, my bike never touches. My track day cost less in tires than my lunch and gas.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Well I got this instead. 84 gpz 1100 with 24000 kms in very nice shape. I already know it will be fun. Took it for a spin and im shocked how much more power its got compared to my f800r.

zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,101
Much better buy - looks great!
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,512
I noticed the airboxes on both bikes are gone, replaced by what look like filters, but actually don't do anything. Isn't the '84 GPZ1100 fuel injected? If so the beer can filters will really mess it up. Aside from messing up the way a bike runs, filters like that will cut the engines lifespan by about 3/4ths, due to the amount of dirt they allow to get through. That became a big thing on a bike specific forum I belong to, everybody going with those crappy K&N type filters. Now the ones who did it first are finding their engines are wearing out after less than 20,000 miles, and they should be 100,000+ mile engines. I have 83,000 miles on mine, with the stock intake and exhaust.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Isn't the '84 GPZ1100 fuel injected?
Is an '84 anything fuel injected? Looks like very obvious carbs to me. Doesn't matter if it's FI or Carb'd, it all needs to be tweaked when major intake or exhaust changes are made.

Quote:
If so the beer can filters will really mess it up.
Or maybe it's been dyno'd and runs great.

Quote:
Aside from messing up the way a bike runs, filters like that will cut the engines lifespan by about 3/4ths, due to the amount of dirt they allow to get through.
Scientific citation needed - not some "well on some forum people say it's no good" BS.

Also, pods make a very nice intake noise at WOT.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Is an '84 anything fuel injected?
You Really need to do a quick google before posting things like that...

http://bit.ly/1chYVsD

It's fuel injected BTW..

Quote:
Scientific citation needed - not some "well on some forum people say it's no good" BS.
I don't have scientific citation, but this is in the realm of what I *thought* was common sense these days. I remember learning about it in the mid 1990's from a member of the VFR list. He just happened to be the facilities manager for a not-insubstantial mining operating in NM. They were looking for cost-cutting measures and paper air filters were one area they tested. Engines with oiled foam or gauze filters required rebuilds at 1/2~2/3rds the lifespan of those that used OEM paper filters. And those engine rebuilds were more expensive due to more damage done by particles, it was a major loss in money for the mine and they moved everything to OEM paper filters.

I don't care if you don't believe it because it's your stuff, not mine. But *I* sure as hell won't run that crap on any street vehicle, and my credentials include 14 years as a factory trained/certified MC mech and certified dyno operator (those filters Don't increase power in any measurable way ~ I've wasted more hours than you could imagine testing this for customers).

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oh, OK, those must be fake carbs that you see in the pic. Possible, I guess - the Thruxton has fake carbs - but that's for another reason. Ok, my initial smartass question was stupid, but you can't let google answer all of your questions, especially when you're looking at what is obviously a very custom bike.

Also, you gauze filter story about mining equipment is cute, but most people don't ride around in the conditions of a mine.

Common sense? Doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
You Really need to do a quick google before posting things like that...

http://bit.ly/1chYVsD

It's fuel injected BTW..

I don't have scientific citation, but this is in the realm of what I *thought* was common sense these days. I remember learning about it in the mid 1990's from a member of the VFR list. He just happened to be the facilities manager for a not-insubstantial mining operating in NM. They were looking for cost-cutting measures and paper air filters were one area they tested. Engines with oiled foam or gauze filters required rebuilds at 1/2~2/3rds the lifespan of those that used OEM paper filters. And those engine rebuilds were more expensive due to more damage done by particles, it was a major loss in money for the mine and they moved everything to OEM paper filters.

I don't care if you don't believe it because it's your stuff, not mine. But *I* sure as hell won't run that crap on any street vehicle, and my credentials include 14 years as a factory trained/certified MC mech and certified dyno operator (those filters Don't increase power in any measurable way ~ I've wasted more hours than you could imagine testing this for customers).
Old 09-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Is an '84 anything fuel injected?
Lots of vehicles were fuel injected in '84, including several motorcycles. Fuel injection dates back to 1883.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Lots of vehicles were fuel injected in '84, including several motorcycles. Fuel injection dates back to 1883.
Yeah, my bad. Obviously not that common until recently though. I def would use the word "lots" when it comes to 80's motorcycles.

My point was more that THAT one, doesn't really look like it to me.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Yeah, my bad. Obviously not that common until recently though. I def would use the word "lots" when it comes to 80's motorcycles.

My point was more that THAT one, doesn't really look like it to me.
Ya. That particular machine looks like it has been converted to carburettors. The EFI system that Kawasaki used was very reliable, but it (as with anything) can fail. Finding a stock replacement is difficult, so switching to carbs is the least-hassle alternative (in the era before microsquirt).
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
CruisingRam
Frankenbike builder

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Ya. That particular machine looks like it has been converted to carburettors. The EFI system that Kawasaki used was very reliable, but it (as with anything) can fail. Finding a stock replacement is difficult, so switching to carbs is the least-hassle alternative (in the era before microsquirt).
Lots of folks now just replace the old brain box with the MSEFI set up (megasquirt). The Throttle bodies off the 83gpz 1100 are actually sought after because they bolt up to the KZ series bikes. I know, I got one for my Z1 LOL
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
I'm kinda keeping an eye out for a GSXR 750 to tuen into a naked bike, seen one that modded that way and I have been lusting after one since
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote