Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #256
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I'm perfectly willing to help a guy out, but we won't be holding hands.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #257
drtyrrel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Nice job ! What do you do with the left over verseys chassis ?
drtyrrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #258
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Left over chassis

I part out the leftovers. I sell a lot of the pieces on the kawasakiversys.com forum, some on ebay and some to ADV folks. Most parts sell pretty well because I've always bought extremely low mileage Versys' and the parts are like new. Others don't move so well. I have a lot of brake calipers left over, three wheels, a green fuel tank, all items that I would have expected to be gone by now. Still have one frame left.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #259
drtyrrel
Adventurer

I was thinking you could pick up a wrecked ninja motor and put it in the verseys chassis but you would also need a wiring harness.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #260
CruisingRam
Frankenbike builder

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
I part out the leftovers. I sell a lot of the pieces on the kawasakiversys.com forum, some on ebay and some to ADV folks. Most parts sell pretty well because I've always bought extremely low mileage Versys' and the parts are like new. Others don't move so well. I have a lot of brake calipers left over, three wheels, a green fuel tank, all items that I would have expected to be gone by now. Still have one frame left.
I will go over there too- try keep me in mind next time though, I need Versys stuffs!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #261
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,746
Versys Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingRam View Post
I will go over there too- try keep me in mind next time though, I need Versys stuffs!

Not to submarine KLRsys' thread here, or his sale of parts...

What Versys items do you need? I have some Versys accessories left over from when I sold my girlfriend's Versys to KLRsys. They're all literally brand new, and I had actually kind of forgotten all about them since they are simply sitting in storage.

And speaking of that... KLRsys, do you have any interest in the brand-new, late generation with all the final improvements, in-the-box "Big Gun" exhaust with spark arrestor I keep forgetting to get with you on? It's just sitting on the shelf, too, gathering dust.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #262
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtyrrel View Post
I was thinking you could pick up a wrecked ninja motor and put it in the verseys chassis but you would also need a wiring harness.
I would need a lot more than a motor and wiring harness. I'd need all this...

Old 12-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #263
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingRam View Post
I don't have much listed anywhere at the moment. I need to take some time and find what I have left and post it up somewhere. But this is a busy time of year for me and I probably won't get to it until January.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #264
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

And speaking of that... KLRsys, do you have any interest in the brand-new, late generation with all the final improvements, in-the-box "Big Gun" exhaust with spark arrestor I keep forgetting to get with you on? It's just sitting on the shelf, too, gathering dust.

Dallara

~
Yes, still interested. I'm rebuilding the '05 bike after it's accident on the AK trip and I've decided to try to shed some weight off it if I can so that Big Gun may help a lot.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #265
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One other bit of news. I've decided I'm not going to build bikes to order or for sale. Once again my priorities have been refocused by my MS. I had a relapse on Nov 2, it probably started while I was at the Role the Bones rally because I really felt off my game and didn't feel comfortable riding in a group so I didn't participate much. The following Saturday it hit harder, lots of double vision, couldn't even drive a car. But my medical team came to my rescue and I got the proper treatment in short order and I'm recovering nicely. I haven't ridden since the rally other than riding my XT250 around the block just to see if I could do it, no problems with balance, that's a relief. I figure I'll be riding again soon the way things are progressing. Anyway, I decided that riding and building these bikes are my hobby and trying to turn it into a business was sapping all the fun out of it. I already have a business to run, I don't need another. I do need a hobby and enjoy the challenge of the builds, keeps the mind exercised.

In the meantime I'm going to work on rebuilding the '05 KLR, it got a little bent up when it went down in Colorado. I've been reading the forum a lot, following jdrock's new build is getting me anxious to get back in the shop. And seeing Beezer's modified KLR fuel tank the in the "Modify a stock gas tank?" thread got me thinking about splitting one down the middle and making it about two inches wider. It would clear the right cylinder head better, give a little more room for wiring and fuel line along the main frame backbone, little more fuel capacity, allow using the wider Versys radiator and what I really want - maybe I can find enough room to tank mount the pump. Hope to get to it soon, but December's always hectic for me.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #266
drtyrrel
Adventurer

Sorry to here about your MS. Turning a hobby into a part time business rarely works out well and is a good way to ruin something that you enjoy doing to relieve stress. Continue building what you want for yourself and sell your old ones if you need the income to enjoy your hobby .

Looks like for another $7000 worth of parts you could get that Verseys chassis back on the road
Old 12-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #267
SuperRio
KLRE650 PILOT

Oddometer: 13
KLRsys,

Well my friend wishing you good health and many happy miles of riding in the new year.

As the year winds down and I look at it in review. Your visit was truly a highlight.

In this life its the connections with people like yourself that make living such a blessing.

Much hugs and best wishes.
SuperRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #268
the_doc
Street Convert

Oddometer: 217
Thumb

Found this thread on a whim.

Just wanted to say you do very nice work. The KLRsys looks like the perfect update to the antiquated KLR!
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #269
dohcfox
meh

Oddometer: 138
Congrats to the OP on the fabrication skills! Wonderful work! May I ask, what kinds of benders did you use to bend up parts for your headers and frame components? Thank you! JT
Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #270
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Every time I finish up a good thread around here, I stumble on an even better thread!!! Beautiful work, job extremely well done!! Man just when I thought I did some cool fab work......