Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #3481
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Yep... the Canyongate/clusterf5%& is far from over I'd say.

But again... what will the ASO or are they prepared to do... It's a real case of shut the gate, the goats are already out of the pen.
They could give them store credit.

Joking aside, because of the Marathon stage, it's too late to put them back in the race in any meaningful way.
They would also need to airlift 15-20 bikes to the start of tomorrows stage witch isn't a small task.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #3482
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Yep... the Canyongate/clusterf5%& is far from over I'd say.

But again... what will the ASO or are they prepared to do... It's a real case of shut the gate, the goats are already out of the pen.
What would placate you if you were in that situation? An apology and reinstatement would be about the only thing I can think of but as Troy already pointed out that's unlikely to happen. Financial compo wouldn't bring back your Dakar dream in any meaningful way.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #3483
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I wonder if the 'problems' with live tracking isn't partially (or wholly!) on purpose?

It's been speculated before, but with the advent of smart phones (particularly with GPS etc), it wouldn't be beyond the capabilities of the top teams to use and live tracking info to inform their drivers/riders of progress further up the field - either of their own team mates, or more likely, of their competitors - and relay a message to their own driver/rider to adjust their campaign accordingly...

For example, if it can been seen that one of the competing team riders/drivers seems to have a delay/problem, the chasing rider/driver could then back off/speed up as directed by someone watching back at the bivvy on wifi or on the service assistance route via cell data?

I think this is particularly likely with the car teams, as not only do they have a navigator who could more easily relay the message to the driver, but the cars are much more susceptible to delays in general - through punctures for example.

For a competitor to be able to back off just a little using 'realtime' information would certainly help to preserve their vehicle, and/or make up positions - and make a mockery of the 'adventure' element of the race?

Jx
To know where your competitor is you have to know the his position as well no?
It could be done but I think they are doing it either in the check points by having people there getting the times or in the refueling where they can get more info to the riders.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #3484
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
For his own personal safety, you would imagine he has changed his t-shirt, is wearing dark glasses and is now on a plane to an undisclosed location to be entered into a witness protection scheme?
No mustache?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #3485
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
For his own personal safety, you would imagine he has changed his t-shirt, is wearing dark glasses and is now on a plane to an undisclosed location to be entered into a witness protection scheme?
A fake mustache might help significantly also.

Edit: Great minds think alike, Armageddon.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #3486
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,385
Quote:
I wonder if the 'problems' with live tracking isn't partially (or wholly!) on purpose?

It's been speculated before, but with the advent of smart phones (particularly with GPS etc), it wouldn't be beyond the capabilities of the top teams to use and live tracking info to inform their drivers/riders of progress further up the field - either of their own team mates, or more likely, of their competitors - and relay a message to their own driver/rider to adjust their campaign accordingly...

For example, if it can been seen that one of the competing team riders/drivers seems to have a delay/problem, the chasing rider/driver could then back off/speed up as directed by someone watching back at the bivvy on wifi or on the service assistance route via cell data?

I think this is particularly likely with the car teams, as not only do they have a navigator who could more easily relay the message to the driver, but the cars are much more susceptible to delays in general - through punctures for example.

For a competitor to be able to back off just a little using 'realtime' information would certainly help to preserve their vehicle, and/or make up positions - and make a mockery of the 'adventure' element of the race?

Jx
+1

I'm almost 100% certain this is why the ASO have abandonned "irritrack map overlay" tracking on the dakar.com site, and - as you say - the live tracking get's "hazy" on a semi regular basis these last couple of years.

There is a lot of intel out there if a team is set up to exploit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #3487
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:

Jx
Interesting. Imagine when Google Glass tech trickles down, Google Goggles anyone?
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #3488
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Attached Images

Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #3489
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
What would placate you if you were in that situation? An apology and reinstatement would be about the only thing I can think of but as Troy already pointed out that's unlikely to happen. Financial compo wouldn't bring back your Dakar dream in any meaningful way.
Full refund of entry fees, free entry into next year's rally, and, say, $100K for the insult would go a long way.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #3490
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
No mustache?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
A fake mustache might help significantly also.

Edit: Great minds think alike, Armageddon.
my bad.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #3491
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Update from FRR

Hi everyone. David here, I just want to say a special thanks to all of you out there, my extremely supportive family, friends and sponsors for you outstanding support. Unfortunately, my 2014 Dakar has come to an end. I dislocated my knee in a crash today which tore my ACL ligaments which means I am unable to continue riding. This is devastating as this is now my second go at completing the Dakar. They don't call it the world's toughest race for no reason. Again, thanks so much for all the support you have shown on this page, It means a lot to the team and I. Cheers David.

Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #3492
Screamingeagle3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
Maybe slot in the next dakar for some "symbolic" amout of money (sort of not whole entry fee)??
Screamingeagle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #3493
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
+1

There is a lot of intel out there if a team is set up to exploit it.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #3494
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Hang about? Does anyone know what Manny was up to yesterday?!

Just a thought ;o)

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #3495
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

It adds up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Full refund of entry fees, free entry into next year's rally, and, say, $100K for the insult would go a long way.
x 20...!?

Wow! You've just torpedoed Etienne's holiday budget plans in Bora Bora next summer!

If ASO get's wind of this... the airlifting /night transfer of 20 bikes and riders to tonights bivouac might just not seem too extreme after all.

But in all seriousness, as per Thomas second report from the 20 "survivors" at the marathon biv. Has the ASO made an official comment/standpoint on what happened yet... seems there were no jury/CRO contact personell AT the marathon bivouac... So any action/decision that could have been taken is delayed until this evening.

24 hours pass fast on a caravan that moves forwards every day.

Quote:

Quote: