User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
porkandcorn
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
Not quite solved

i'm riding south america right now on some really terrible, dusty roads. the issue is not resolved and it is the stepper motor that is the culprit. i hear a good cleaning and lubing of the swing arm is the field solution. i unfortunately only found this out after i had a new stepper motor fedex'd from oregon to bolivia.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
porkandcorn
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

that said, i still love this bike and would not buy anything else!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
aarlint
noob rider

Oddometer: 53
Findings

I just finished up on a 12000 mile trip from Utah to Argentina and my tiger 800 xc started to have the stalling issue in central america. I was able to continue the trip with minimal stalling because I found a trick to help the stepper motor. If you turn off the bike with the key and wait for the "FAX" sound... or the sound of the stepper motor and during that sound you open and let snap close the throttle it seems to bump the stepper motor into place... or allow it to move freely. At any rate the bike is able to start and idle the next start. However if you miss the fax sound and start the bike without this procedure it gets worse and worse and ends up stalling out again.

I got home cleaned off the stepper motor and throttle bodies with some lubricant and I havent had the issue reappear yet.
aarlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarlint View Post
I just finished up on a 12000 mile trip from Utah to Argentina and my tiger 800 xc started to have the stalling issue in central america. I was able to continue the trip with minimal stalling because I found a trick to help the stepper motor. If you turn off the bike with the key and wait for the "FAX" sound... or the sound of the stepper motor and during that sound you open and let snap close the throttle it seems to bump the stepper motor into place... or allow it to move freely. At any rate the bike is able to start and idle the next start. However if you miss the fax sound and start the bike without this procedure it gets worse and worse and ends up stalling out again.

I got home cleaned off the stepper motor and throttle bodies with some lubricant and I havent had the issue reappear yet.
Thanks, nice of you to post that info. Did you do any sort of ride report on your trip?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
aarlint
noob rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Thanks, nice of you to post that info. Did you do any sort of ride report on your trip?
Yeah. Utah2argentina.blogspot.com my wife did most of the writing.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
porkandcorn
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

i just completed 20,000 KM in south america, and i am still having issues with the idle. i likely need to get a decent tank of fuel, and have the throttle bodies adjusted. then we'll see where we are at. the verdict is still out.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #22
aarlint
noob rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkandcorn View Post
i just completed 20,000 KM in south america, and i am still having issues with the idle. i likely need to get a decent tank of fuel, and have the throttle bodies adjusted. then we'll see where we are at. the verdict is still out.
Did you try opening up and closing rapidly the throttle when the Fax sound is being made aprox 30 seconds after you turn it off..?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
porkandcorn
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarlint View Post
Did you try opening up and closing rapidly the throttle when the Fax sound is being made aprox 30 seconds after you turn it off..?

no, i haven't. what is that intended to accomplish. i wanted to get a service first to insure the throttle bodies are still in sync. lot's of bad gas in SA.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkandcorn View Post
no, i haven't. what is that intended to accomplish. .

Did you read his previous post?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #25
Edalbesor
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Stalling Tigers

Hi all,
New member and new owner of a Tiger XC. She's registered July 2012 and has only 1,600mi on the clock.
I experienced an engine cut-out last week. I want to call it cut-out rather than stall as the latter implies operator error. It was not.
I was travelling at speed when the engine cut out. I have been following the threads here but I have no idea what "mapping" is. I imagine that, if Triumph got to the bottom of the problem around Jan/Feb 1012, my bike should have been covered.
Any help at all would be much appreciated.
Edalbesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #26
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edalbesor View Post
Hi all,
New member and new owner of a Tiger XC. She's registered July 2012 and has only 1,600mi on the clock.
I experienced an engine cut-out last week. I want to call it cut-out rather than stall as the latter implies operator error. It was not.
I was travelling at speed when the engine cut out. I have been following the threads here but I have no idea what "mapping" is. I imagine that, if Triumph got to the bottom of the problem around Jan/Feb 1012, my bike should have been covered.
"Mapping" is the software that controls the fuel injection system. As your bike is still under warranty, take it to the dealer....tell them your issue....and have them "up-load" the latest software map to your motorcycle. I won't take long. That should solve your problem.

If not, then you probably have a dirty "stepper motor". Do a search on this site and it is explained in detail. But this is probably not your issue.....unless the bike has been ridden off-road in dusty conditions.

Hope this helps.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #27
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
The stepper motor arm & throttle roller need lubrication. If they are bone dry, then it acts like its dirty & causes stalling & no idle. "Traveling at speed & the engine cuts out" sounds like a loose battery terminal. Check the easy stuff & take it to the dealer.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #28
Edalbesor
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks both for your help.
There's a dealer near me here so I'll get her looked over. I noticed today that she didn't want to start a couple of times too!
If it's a warranty issue I expect the re-mapping would be free?
Edalbesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #29
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edalbesor View Post
Hi all,
Clarification:
A cut-out, while the bike's motor is under load is a different problem than the stall problem, WHICH WAS NOT RIDER ERROR. The stalling problem happened when you would start twisting the throttle, irrespective of having the bike in gear or not (bike not in gear, no room for rider error). The stall problem had two main sources: 1) fueling map, and 2) stepper motor. Let me rephrase that, both were related to the stepper motor actuation. One of them was a software issue, the other a mechanical issue.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #30
Blitz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
dust issues with stepper motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
Ahh yes, the software fix for a mechanical issue....didn't fix the stalling issue for Tigers ridden in dusty conditions like here in Oz.

Google stepper motor and you should find some good graphics (tiger800.co.uk from memory).

Anyway, solution seems to be some goop on the stepper motor actuator arm and the issue is resolved.

A buddy has 10k km on his since the goop and I've done 2k km of very dusty riding one mine since goop with no stalling.
My XC also wouldn't idle after a very dusty 3000km ride in Namibia. Will definitely lube my stepper motor! Thanks
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote