lord_oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #47
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_oblivion View Post
Nice bikes, more pics for left one ?
I do have a few, but I have to call it a night, I'm afraid- work comes all too early tomorrow...

I will PM you when I scan them in after work if you like, and to keep from hijacking Azazel's thread any more.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #48
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Of course !
I sold mine CB400N back in august and can't get over that. It was work in progres to DS her...

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #49
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Who says? Sure they can.

I didn't have a lick of carb problems with Uni's or K&N's on my 1980 400 or my '82 450. Can't remember perfectly so don't quote me, but I think I went up one washer thickness on the needles and to 130 main jets. Again, this was nearly 30 years ago I'm thinking back...

Raced in BOTT (Unlimited Twins) just fine and held my own with many bigger bikes.
Hmm, consensus over on DOT and HondaTwins was that the engine couldn't be made to perform properly without the airbox, I'll have to do some more research. And those are some sick rides!

I'm sorry to hear about your bike, Oblivion, it's been a source of inspiration for me.
Azazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #50
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel View Post
Hmm, consensus over on DOT and HondaTwins was that the engine couldn't be made to perform properly without the airbox, I'll have to do some more research. And those are some sick rides!
Thanks

Honestly, I couldn't have asked for better fueling with no airbox and pod filters. To me it had what I would consider "perfect" carburation ( aside from running out of gas on the last lap one time within sight of the finish line, 'cause it gulped more fuel than I estimated it would, lol )

The only thing I discovered I had to deal with was to help support the carbs hanging on the manifolds with some zap straps/safety wire to keep the weight from prematurely cracking the rubber parts of the intakes.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #51
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear about your bike, Oblivion, it's been a source of inspiration for me.
Don't be, because I allready am... But, budget was not enough for all my ideas because I lost my job back then. Now I work again and allready planning another bike
This time, probably KLE500, for his enduro like suspension characteristics and cheap and plentiful engine parts here in Serbia.

Here is some more inspirational ideas I done before selling her

LEDilising gauges :

Turn signal beeper :

Rebuilding original seat :

XT600 3TB '81 pegs (shaved about 1-1.5 kilo of weight ) :

20mm handlebar risers made of MZ251 gauge carriers, not quite finished in the moment of selling her :

I hope you get some ideas for your project !

www.jawaklubsrbije.org

lord_oblivion screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 03:07 AM
Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #52
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Now, new moments for my next bike
The current owner of my former CB400N (one on the pics above) offers me to buy her back at the same price as I sold her last year to him

This could happen in the spring this year. But...

Now again I have a stable job (meaning less time for driving and travel), and I know what I'd worked on modding her into decent DS contraption.
More or less I am satisfied with the characteristics of this motorcycle except cons down the text.

CB400N
pros - classic and rare, eyecatching, macadam and fire-roads capable, inexpensive registration and tax fees, modest petrol consumption 4-5L/100Km, allready was my bike for 2 1/2 years and I am familiar with her ​​condition, cheap to buy now
cons - relatively complicated and costly acquiring of any new parts (oders from UK, DE, AT + expensive shipping), specific mounting points for rear suspension (no easy substitution), short rear suspension travel (after all this is road bike),this bike is VERY hard to sell here, so she would remain with me for a long time

KLE500
pros - easier to find parts, long-travel enduro suspension, same registration and tax fees, younger, likes slightly more petrol 5-6L/100, easier to sell later
cons - 3 times more expensive, means one (at least, never know...) year without a bike...

In both cases, surely awaits me investing more money in personal modifications. I'm never satisfied with the factory state and solutions

My dilema is - to repurchase her back for small money and live/ride with these circumstances

or

do not buy her and be without a motorcycle until winter (minimum) and collect money for kle500 ?

Sorry for hijacking tread for a second time but I prommse to open her thread if I buy her back !

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #53
Azazel OP
Adventurer

No worries LO! I can certainly agree with the cons part, I'm lucky that I'm running a CM450 engine on this thing but even there the parts are getting damn hard to source outside of having luck on Ebay.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #54
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Finally, some progress!

Two weeks ago:

Funny thing while tearing those apart for cleaning: there was no spring in the accelerator pump. Didn't have any stumbling issues this summer so that was a weird discovery.

Yesterday:

Mmmm, OEM parts.

And all of today:

New engine on left, old on bike:

Apparently the guy who put this on the bike originally didn't believe in engine gaskets. How was this still charging the battery.

The chain has apparently been eating my left interior swingarm collar cap. Problematic.

Underneath the above. That crap was nearly an inch thick.

5 hours of blood, sweat, and tears from my back later and the new block is muscled into position with the bolts all in place awaiting locktite blue and the torque wrench.

Next weekend is my anniversary, but I'm on track to get this back on the road well before mid-march. Once the spring for the accelerator pump arrives it's just a matter of putting everything back the way I found it and making sure the valves are tuned properly!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #55
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking good !

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #56
Azazel OP
Adventurer

After a brief bout of snow, the return of warm weather brings progress:

It's done up to the very top, fighting with the cam chain tensioner to get the damn cam reassembled drained me and I took no pictures once I was done. Looking forward to firing it up this weekend if all goes according to plan!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #57
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Nice progress
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #58
JackHinds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Doing almost the exact same thing to the exact same bike! Thanks for posting all of this, I'm brand new to it and you're giving me a lot to work off of.

Possibly ignorant question: what'd you do to get your pistons and cylinder heads clean? Just go at it with a brush?
JackHinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #59
Azazel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHinds View Post
Doing almost the exact same thing to the exact same bike! Thanks for posting all of this, I'm brand new to it and you're giving me a lot to work off of.

Possibly ignorant question: what'd you do to get your pistons and cylinder heads clean? Just go at it with a brush?
Pistons were NOS off Ebay, really lucked out there as the ones I had been running had basically worn the crown off over the years and the one of the spare engine pistons had a hairline crack on the edge. Cylinder head went into a shop for a total rebuild, minus new valves since they don't exist.

Tip for re-assembly: Put a zip-tie around the top of the cam tensioner once it's in the cylinders, thread it through the cylinder head, and then use a coat hanger to put as much tension as possible on it and wrap the hanger around the bike frame. You'll have just barely enough slack to get the cam chain back on the sprocket & cam, and save 2 hours worth of cursing and thinking you made a boo-boo somewhere.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #60
JackHinds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Pistons were NOS off Ebay, really lucked out there as the ones I had been running had basically worn the crown off over the years and the one of the spare engine pistons had a hairline crack on the edge. Cylinder head went into a shop for a total rebuild, minus new valves since they don't exist.

Tip for re-assembly: Put a zip-tie around the top of the cam tensioner once it's in the cylinders, thread it through the cylinder head, and then use a coat hanger to put as much tension as possible on it and wrap the hanger around the bike frame. You'll have just barely enough slack to get the cam chain back on the sprocket & cam, and save 2 hours worth of cursing and thinking you made a boo-boo somewhere.
Awesome, thanks! I'm going to make do with what I've got by way of pistons, they seem to be pretty good. Getting an actual shop to take a look at the cylinder heads is a good idea, though.

Getting the chain and sprocket off was something else, so I can imagine getting it back on would be even more interesting. Let the games begin
JackHinds is offline   Reply With Quote