Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #1711
wtmklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
It was three years ago the Trans Lab had not been open all the way thru for very long.
I did it in 2012, ride report in my signature. Most all is paved now
"I Survived the TLH"

Ride Report
wtmklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #1712
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmklr View Post
Does anyone have a link to look up part numbers online?
(2008 Varadero xl1000) For example, I'm missing one of the rubber stops under my seat and I'd like to look up the part number. I'd rather have the part number before I go to the dealership. Sometimes its painful trying to explain the part I need when I'm at the counter.
Late answer but www.lingshondaparts.com is the absolute best price for checking parts, OEM numbers and prices.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #1713
sleepyhead65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Squily,
I can't comment on the quality of the bracket but that skidplate certainly did it's job and sacrificed itself to save your bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post
I did not confront 'the Germans', but our local supplier in Perth where I purchased it. I was told I was 'the only one with these issues' and 'this has never happened before', to which my reply was- check the internet forums. 1st time round, they replaced the pannier frames free of charge. which sounds ok, but that just meant I had to pay to fix the 'new frames' after they broke the first time out.
This is the bracket that bolts onto the subframe under the seat.

New one for comparison:

1st pannier frame set after 1st repair:

Another broken weld after the repair on the 1st set

Another broken weld before repair

DL bashplate after hitting a rock- see how the rivets tear out and the bashplate fall apart? As indicated before, we have since welded up all the pieces and it's now a much stronger unit, although it doesn't look as flash

Now in comparison, look at the SWM pannier frames on the 800GS:

They obviously know something is wrong with their design and have started to strengthen them, but that doesn't help me much.

Also- my mate's panniers have started to separate where the mounting bracket is riveted to the main box. I've never had this issue, but then I strap mine onto the frame when I go off-road to remove the stress on these as I foresaw this area as a possible weak point.

And as somebody has already indicated, the problem with the centrestand is the 'bent-in' right leg, as this causes the bike to fall-over onto it's right side when you try get it up on the centrestand on any surface other than bitumen/concrete.
sleepyhead65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #1714
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead65 View Post
Squily,
I can't comment on the quality of the bracket but that skidplate certainly did it's job and sacrificed itself to save your bike!

It took one hit and disintegrated. I think there's a reason why everybody else WELDS skid plates and not pop-rivet them. I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. When you install a bash-plate, it's not a 'use once only' item, but you expect it to take a punishment, then be ready to be paneled back into shape, refitted and redo the exercise. Or am I wrong?

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #1715
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xE7...e_gdata_player

Took the biggie for a short offroad ride.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #1716
wtmklr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post

DL bashplate after hitting a rock- see how the rivets tear out and the bashplate fall apart? As indicated before, we have since welded up all the pieces and it's now a much stronger unit, although it doesn't look as flash
Thanks for the pic. I have a SW Motech skidplate on order for my Varadero. I work in the aerospace industry so I'm going to get all those rivets removed and replaced with high quality aircraft worthy rivets installed by the guys in our sheet metal shop.
"I Survived the TLH"

Ride Report
Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #1717
Ghostbrother
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
First year with the big Honda

Would like to thank you all for all the report declares, images, comments, and all questions, all the help and all the tips as greatly enriched ADV this year Thanks! You all are amazing people that make it worth Living!

Have a great

Below is a short report of the year with Super Offroad Honda.

First part: The construction and testing is already documented here on the forum and on my website.

Second part: Do you find the short here!

Three "big" rallies have Honda in participated in this year!

Adventure Day Sweden, 4 days, 670 riders 774 km, an amazing adventure.

Månkarbo Sweden (your own small Rally) 1 day 8 riders 389 km and a tough bike test.

Masrallyt Sweden 2 days 832 km Road Book, special tests and podium.

AVD day From left Jimmy, Tony, Dennis, Honda driver Lucas.... And Anders from the organizers

Jimmy and beast. at the start of one of the 'black pistes' 285 km with much smaller and lighter bikes

The bike worked fantastically well in all contexts, even though this was the big "test" ...... The springs and the oil in the fork was DISPARAGE, An inexpensive battery stopped to work out and a bad weld (myself) to the rear suspension broke. Battery and welding was quickly fixed, the fork I built on to the next adventure.

A new GoPro Hero 2 Got a stone chip on the protector case on and off button, nothing is more visible than the tiny, tiny mark ..... The camera button remained impression for several hours so the camera stopped to work out ..... ANYONE who can have compassion to fix it?

For the next test, she was properly updated!

On this day, we drove most, get pictures and some movie sorry!

Masrallyt with Swedish and Norwegian talented skaters. Real "Dakar" bikes, Specialty exams, 800 + Km road book reading in groups of two riders.
Ex. Marc Comas winning Dakar bike from 2011 was in place and was run by Marc's mechanic "Red bull" guy, etc. etc.

Several Dakar bikes were present, newer and older.

The first day there was a real mud holes to pass and the recommendation was to not run that matter if it rained :) .... But it's something I remember, it is this route ......... It cost me time and a wishbone ;)

Day two .... A picture says more than a thousand words!

The Honda surprises everyone at this rally ..... Here in the picture so we arrive for lunch in good time, lunch, the team has not quite figured with such a fast bike and have not even begun with the food. The track opens guy had no tydilg conductor jacket on him so we drove past few mil then = many negative points and when I passed Lunch team on the wrong side and on the side of the road ... Offroad, so to say I was the deathblow of minus points ... But hell huh fun I had and what grumpy many others were.

The Honda is a great bike with an incredible potensial. Thanks to all who contributed and to all the organizers in 2013

Tanks!! Mvh Lucas, alias LuckyLuke and Gosthbrother

45 minutes later. (not 45 seconds :)

Old 01-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #1718
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
PS: Don't buy the Original side bags as showen on the bike above... I had them on my '04 ABS, but they are crap. Go for the Hebco % Becker alu ones, they are just perfect!
RE: The factory bags are the same bags the VFR 800 had...they were superb on my VFR. They never leaked, were rock solid, never broke, and had a lot of capacity. Now in an off road setting during a nap I'd say they wouldn't be very durable...but they are good bags.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 AM   #1719
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post
RE: The factory bags are the same bags the VFR 800 had...they were superb on my VFR. They never leaked, were rock solid, never broke, and had a lot of capacity. Now in an off road setting during a nap I'd say they wouldn't be very durable...but they are good bags.
On the VFR800i they are if you do < 3.000 miles per year on tarmac smooth like a Baby's behind. But on a big trail / adventure bike doing > 5.000 miles per year under all kinds of road- and weather conditions they are CRAP.

And because (you have written it correctly above) they are originally designed for a Sportstourer, the difference in alignment on the Varadero makes them utterly useless.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #1720
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
[/QUOTE]

Hi all..

I am selling Corbin seat and crashbar.
The corbin seat had slight torn at the rider's left side,but have been wrapped over nicely with an anti slipped wrap.
Didnt know the brand of the crashbars..
Corbin usd$200 plus shipping
Crashbar Usd$100 plus shipping.
Items from Singapore.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #1721
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Only a few weeks remaining to secure YOUR participation to the 1th Honda Varadero International Meeting, early June, in Geiranger, Norway!

Check the VCIM16 topic for details at thé international Varadero & Crosstourer forum at www.vci-forum.com!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #1722
wtmklr
Adventurer

Does anyone here have a pic of a Varadero with a pelican case as a top box? I have a GIVI one and a Pelican 1550, but would like use something smaller for my commute to and from work. Anybody using a 1400 or 1450?

Here's mine below:

[URL=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/84toy/media/Toybox3_zps4aedae20.jpg.html][/URL
"I Survived the TLH"

Ride Report
Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #1723
Tatos
n00b

Oddometer: 2
New user of the ADVrider forum

Hi everybody,

First I want to apologize if this is not the place where I should post on my first time.
I´m from Spain and I have an Honda Varadero 1000. My wife also has an Honda CBR 600F. We love motorbikes. I met this forum some months ago and I think it´s great so thanks to all the people here. I enjoy a lot reading all your posts. I´ll be learning from all of you and posting as much as I can.
greetings

Tatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #1724
jolly green giant
biggles

Oddometer: 84
Last Sunday, photo taken with my son's ipod

jolly green giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #1725
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tatos: welcome here... what kind / brand are the lights mounted on your crashbars?

Check in at the International Varadero Forum too: www.vci-forum.com