User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
scesnick OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Noob buying a S10. Need some advice.

Hey Fellas, My first post here but I have been lurking for about two years and I am totally hooked.
I owned a street bike way back when in H.S. in the late 80's but since then I have been hitting the dirt hard and racing GNCC's and local hare scrambles since the early 90's and raced local moto before that.

However, I am starting to hear the bones creek and this whole adventure sport thing just looks way too fun to pass up. I have researched Adv bikes for a while now and I am ready to lay down some cash on a 2013 White S10 with factory Yamaha Bags and top case. I can pick this bike up with the cases, taxes etc.. out the door for $14,600.

I do have a few questions for you guys here that are much more experienced than I am.
1. I have scoured web looking for a real answer about the 2014 S10 and if it is coming t the states or not. Any definite info out there that I missed?

2. would the 2014 be worth waiting for if it actually is coming to or shores?

3.Are the Yamaha factory side and top cases worth the money or are there others out there that are better for the same price.

4. Riding 2 up? We all know if wifey is not comfortable it will be a short ride. Are there any mandatory mods that make it more comfortable? Or is it pretty comfy as is?

Thanks in advance fellas,

scesnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Welcome to the forum!

I will just answer my opinion on question #2 & 4.

I would wait for the 2014 as it has a lot of stuff that would enhance this bike.

Seat is super comfy for both rider & pillion (my opinion).
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by scesnick View Post
Hey Fellas, My first post here but I have been lurking for about two years and I am totally hooked.
I owned a street bike way back when in H.S. in the late 80's but since then I have been hitting the dirt hard and racing GNCC's and local hare scrambles since the early 90's and raced local moto before that.

However, I am starting to hear the bones creek and this whole adventure sport thing just looks way too fun to pass up. I have researched Adv bikes for a while now and I am ready to lay down some cash on a 2013 White S10 with factory Yamaha Bags and top case. I can pick this bike up with the cases, taxes etc.. out the door for $14,600.

I do have a few questions for you guys here that are much more experienced than I am.
1. I have scoured web looking for a real answer about the 2014 S10 and if it is coming t the states or not. Any definite info out there that I missed?

3.Are the Yamaha factory side and top cases worth the money or are there others out there that are better for the same price.

4. Riding 2 up? We all know if wifey is not comfortable it will be a short ride. Are there any mandatory mods that make it more comfortable? Or is it pretty comfy as is?

1) No.
2) Depends on what the price is and what you want? I'd take the "basic" one if I was in the market, but plenty would go for the "E" version. Assuming both are available that is.
3) Some people think they are OK, as long as your are careful getting the locks installed properly.
4) Not bade for Wifeys.Many Wifeys like it.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
RoverDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Love my S10

I own a 2012 S10 and love it. I use it for my twice a month commute from NC to D.C...technical single tracks in the Blue Ridge...and as a daily year round bike.

I have the factory luggage and like them. At first, I thought I would use them until I destroy them, then buy 'real' luggage...well, several drops/spills/and boo boos later, they are still working great.

GrahamD is right about the locks. The first thing you need to do is open the case, and using a jewelers screw driver, carefully remove the lock screws and loctite those things. The vibes will work them loose, and then you are up a creek...and they never fall out at a convenient time.

I don't know anything about the 2014, but if it is an improvement, it has to be amazing, because the S10 I own makes me very happy.

Cheers.
Harbinger Of Fate: In the roads we travel, our destination is always a tiny speck on the horizon where it meets the greeting dawn. Many of the roads we travel down a harbinger of fate waits for us there to change our destiny from the one we have chosen... - David Harris
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by scesnick View Post

I don't know how to pull quotes from other threads. So go to the link post #434 and you
can decide it the difference is important to you.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...931828&page=29
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
RoverDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Listen to Pluric...

If Pluric says something about the S10, you better listen!!
Harbinger Of Fate: In the roads we travel, our destination is always a tiny speck on the horizon where it meets the greeting dawn. Many of the roads we travel down a harbinger of fate waits for us there to change our destiny from the one we have chosen... - David Harris
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDan View Post

Thank you, but if you really look close so many others have way better specific information
and have been very kind about sharing it.

I tend to be focused on the everyday function ability and what can be modified to personalize
the bike for riders needs. I've tried hard to break mine and have found some weak spots.

I'm not complaining at all. With what this bike has been through I can only be more
impressed with its durability every ride.

Sure there are other brands that may do a specific area of riding better, but for a do all
motorcycle it's awfully impressive.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDan View Post
Sure, listen to Ric. But be very careful. Also, he only gets flat tires when he's not wheelstanding his S10.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:02 AM   #9
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I don't know how to pull quotes from other threads. So go to the link post #434 and you
can decide it the difference is important to you.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...931828&page=29

Differences between the 2013 XT1200Z and the 2014 XT1200Z and ZE (Europe), according to YAMAHA

2014 XT1200Z
Refined engine with 112PS (82.4kW) @ 7,250rpm and 117 Nm
•Enhanced D-MODE switchable mapping characteristics:
•More relaxed and easy feeling in “T” mode
•More exhilarating and exciting sport riding in “S” mode
•Enhanced driveability from mid to high speed range
•More enjoyable feeling during acceleration and at higher rpm
•Smoother shifting up and down between 2nd and 3rd gear
•New: Manually-adjustable 4-position screen with GPS holder
•New: Cruise Control for more relaxed long distance touring
•Enlarged intake and exhaust ports
•Lighter camshaft assembly
•Redesigned piston rings
•New exhausts
•Enhanced shaft drive damper assembly
•New rubber clutch damper adopted
•Reduced weight
•New: LCD instruments with multi-function display
•New: Gear Position Indicator
•New: Compact LED flashers
•New: Extra protection cover under headlights
•New: Tapered aluminium handlebars
•New: Handlebar crown and bar holder
•New: Enhanced more upright riding position
•New: Redesigned 2-tone stitchless low-profile dual seat
•New: Tail cover
•New: Small muffler protector
•New: Redesigned forged aluminium sidestand

In addition the 2014 XT1200ZE has..

•Electronically adjustable front and rear suspension
•Total of 84 potential suspension settings
•Grip warmers fitted as original equipment
•Top case base
•Assist grip
•Main stand (Centre Stand)

'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxstdawg View Post
Sure, listen to Ric. But be very careful. Also, he only gets flat tires when he's not wheelstanding his S10.
Really? You had to use the Graham modified photo???

I think everyone here is aware that due to the massive size and weight of the Tenere
any type of hooligan or off road use is very limited. Or so I've heard.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
jwhuls
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Love 'em

I have had all kinds of bikes over the years.

There are two XT1200's in my stable. I should really sell the 'old' one.

but I can't let it go.
jwhuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Get the 2014!

Just came back from the Calgary Bike Show and will be getting the 2014 S10. Got to sell my 2012 first. What a nice bike. Fixed a lot of the small things on the new bike and added a bunch of nice touches. Definitely a nicer bike over all than the one it replaces. I love my 2012 but love the 14 better. Go for the 2014!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
When you climb up on your own Super Tenere and take off to do what this bike is actually designed to do, venturing down roads you've never ridden, discovering places that you've never known, climbing out of your tent to a cup of coffee and a mountain sunrise......

it won't matter if it's a 2012 or 2014. Won't matter if it's White, Grey, Blue, or Black.

You'll look over at it sitting there equipped to haul you to your next destination and smile.

No reason to fret.

I like the new one. Looks great. But I haven't seen one yet that doesn't.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #14
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
When you climb up on your own Super Tenere and take off to do what this bike is actually designed to do, venturing down roads you've never ridden, discovering places that you've never known, climbing out of your tent to a cup of coffee and a mountain sunrise......

it won't matter if it's a 2012 or 2014. Won't matter if it's White, Grey, Blue, or Black.

You'll look over at it sitting there equipped to haul you to your next destination and smile.

No reason to fret.

I like the new one. Looks great. But I haven't seen one yet that doesn't.
Well said!
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,461
Lots of responses about the 2013 vs 2014 so I'll just go to the wife part. My partner likes the rear seat more than anything else she's been on. To perfect it for her, we've done 2 things

1. I made a plastic spacer that goes under the front of the seat, raising it about 3/8". She likes having the flatter seat.

2. For longer rides, she has done 10 hour days on the stock saddle. However, she prefers either an Airhawk or sheepskin. I have a Seat Concepts replacement foam & cover kit ($156) that the weather has prevented us testing. It will be interesting to see which she likes more.