Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #16
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
You guys mind posting the OTD price you paid?
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 321
I am in the same boat. I had an FJR and I am concerned about the lost of power, finish and comfort but I think I am going to pull the trigger.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
V35A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
You guys mind posting the OTD price you paid?
The cheapest price that I found in the NC/SC/GA region was around $7500 out the door for a standard (non-ADV) 2013 DL650 ABS. This price included tax, tags, dealer prep, fees, etc. I did not engage in any hard-core bargaining, so I suspect that even better deals are out there.
V35A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #19
Gadget Man
Out in the Garage...

Oddometer: 76
Alan.
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. I know you will love it because also have a 2013 ADV model. It's identical to yours.
You should add the fork brace, yes it works. Then add a little piece of rubber gasket in between the front crash bar joint, it will take away any vibration at higher revs.
Where did you find the matching rear trunk?

Gadget Man

Current bike.
2013 V-Strom 650 Adventure
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
irishal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I was able to get mine OTD for $9200 with hand guards, skid plate, center stand, OEM top case and 5 year warranty all included. They're not moving much right now and were willing to deal.....they also wanted my Connie badly too.
The top case is the matching one that is Suzuki branded.
I rode the Connie over and the V-strom home.....the ride is one of "I will take you anywhere you want to go....on or off-road". The engine has that workhorse sound to it that I love. The other interesting thing is because its soooo light compared to the Connie there's not that "oh shit one wrong move and I'm dead" feeling, but a more relaxed in control ride.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #21
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,731
I too now own a 2013 adv wee,nice upgrade from my KLR,I bought it because to me it is the do all reliable bike for my purposes,it's my 2 wheeled Toyota Corolla,for me it's so smooth and quiet I need to really watch my speed,I have a skid plate coming and my KLR moose footpegs will probably end up on the wee,looking forward to many good trips,trying to make it to Alaska soon and the Wee will probably be the machine I'll do it on,let the KLR end to the local off road stuff.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #22
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,567
I stop by the local dealer to drool on their blue standard at least once a week. It just feels right. The GSXF1250FA down the row feels good too but lacks something in comparison, not torque I'm sure.

$7800-$8K before silly add-ons here, not sure how much wiggle room is built into the the freight/setup fees. It's been many years since I've bought a new bike.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #23
8lives
Oops I fell again

I probably paid to much,my wife was there signing with me and I just thought I've never bought anything new before and this bike should bring many smiles,so no matter what I'm gonna keep it for many years and always have a used beater bike to compliment the Wee,damn I like my Wee.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
$9600 out the door in Lynchburg VA for my 2012 Adv. Probably could have found it lower but TBH it was a spur of the moment decision. Also at the beginning of riding season so who knows how low it was at the time.
deejmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #25
TOzman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Just got a quote of 8980 out the door for a 2013 from Ultimate Cycle in Midlothian VA.
TOzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #26
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
My standard 2012 was $7300 OTD $8200 considering my local tax. Rode almost daily for the last riding season and really consider this bike to be well balanced. The aftermarket support is almost overwhelming, but adding bits is one of the joys of ownership. If you shop a little, there are some good deals on bits for the bike to make it yours. I consider the V-strom to be the cheap bastards GS. No they are not that comparable but the Strom is really hard to beat for the quality you buy. Here are a few pics of my heavily farkled V-strom.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 AM   #27
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
Two cents:

I used to uncrate and assemble the adventure and non-adventure 650 Stroms.

Sweet bikes. Fun to put together and test drive. They just get it done.

Oddly, none ever returned for, well, ANYTHING.

Maybe an oil change. But never for wrench work. Don't tell anyone....

Great deals in the fall typically, as they don't want to hold them over.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #28
Traumat1x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Good to know.
I'm also loving my 2012. The more I ride the more I love it. Sure there may be more..... I dunno.... Better looking bikes, although I think it looks good esp dark led it can look great. I surely looks better in the flesh than on pics, but it's a difficult motorcycle to beat in terms of the package you get esp considering that sweet engine and easy riding. I often just go to the garage and walk around it, giving it a feel here and there ;)

Comparing the Vstrom to the likes of the Stelvios, BMW and triumphs etc. Someone said something that stuck with me when I was considering the Strom. It ticed all the boxes that was important to me except I preferred the look of another bike.
"I'd rather be riding an plain bike than pushing a exotic bike"
Traumat1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #29
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
The Wee keeps sounding better all the time, I still would prefer shaft drive but I can deal with a chain, always have before.....
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #30
8lives
Oops I fell again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
The Wee keeps sounding better all the time, I still would prefer shaft drive but I can deal with a chain, always have before.....
2 weeks on my new 650 and all I can say is get 1 you won't regret it,I don't!Oh about shaft drives,we can change gearing and replace chains a lot easier than the shaft guys,shafts are cool no doubt but chains are no problem for me.