Old 10-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #451
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Givi

Quote:
Originally Posted by strommin View Post
Givi E36 side cases because they're as fugly looking as the Strom:

ain't that the truth ! .... my 2009 DL650A came with them and it is exactly what I was wanting .... rather than fugly, I think of these bags as RUGGED .... they look just as rugged as the V-Strom does !
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #452
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Couple of recent pics of my 2012. Considering adding the E36 Givi bags for longer touring, but the E21s are great for local stuff. The E45 top case is perfect to store my helmet for local riding, otherwise I can cram a lot of camping supplies in (lighter stuff).

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #453
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by sect8dr View Post

Muffin Top industries 39l boxes on Happy Trails SU racks using the Happy Trails mounting kit. Seem to be pretty strong, and hold a lot of stuff. Great price for the boxes, check them out at www.muffintopind.com Great to deal with and fast shipping. Powder coating is holding up well considering that I strap all kinds of stuff on the boxes.
The muffin tops look like outstanding boxes..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #454
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=oldNbold;22317130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredDisaster View Post
Long time, but some guy spotted my rig today and seeing this page I thought I'd throw in my photos.

All you guys with pelicans and other massive cases and trunks. . . I respect you. I really do. But none of you are in my league.

Mk II case system.
The cases will not touch down unless the bike is on its side. The front cases are mounted on to the crash bars via U bolts. The rear cases are all mounted to a custom built rack.

And a few showing the Mk I case system
Used this for a bit, but the cases (1440 top loaders) were too small inside and I mounted them too low. The good part was that I could unhook them and then wheel them around stores and what not.

I like this idea. The two forward cases should help keep the weight more evenly distributed and help keep it low. Of course you could just end up hauling entirely too much stuff. None of the cases would have to be as big if you have 4 mounted. Gonna have to think about this. I don't really like having all the added weight behind me.
Post these photo's on the KLR Photo's page and you will become and instant Hero...
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #455
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

I love the look of the Trax bags but guess I don't understand why the one on the right has to be smaller than the one on the left? Just doesn't look right to me... I figure it's because of the exhaust but I have seen the same setup on some Vee's... Enlighten me..
Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #456
Boismj03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
2012 Glee homemade boxes

I cut the 1" and 3/4" angle aluminum with a band saw and then had the frames tig welded. I had the sheet aluminum cut at a local shop. I used the dimensions of the HT Cascade panniers 18"x18"x 7.5" wide. After the frames were welded I
drilled holes through the frames and sheet and used the same rivets that go in Airstream trailers to put them together. I then painted them with a bed liner. Same for the lids. They turned out pretty good! $211.00 invested. And about 2 full days work.
Mounted with the happy trails mounts.

Boismj03 screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 09:02 PM
Boismj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #457
SouthernCruizer
Just Ride!!

Oddometer: 53
My 2004 Wee
Givi V46 top case

SouthernCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #458
frichtie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Rear rack set-up...from Ukraine...

I just bought a 2006 DL650 with only 8000mi on the clock. And then, fell in love with this rear rack set-up. Is anyone using it? It looks very rugged and ''Pelican boxes friendly''. I'll probably be busy this winter making something similar.
-Eric

http://www.mmotoparts.com/product/wh...-dl650-v-strom
frichtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #459
Motardhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Anyone have any good pics of the Giant Loop Great Basin or Coyote mounted on the 'strom? I am considering getting one and wonder how well they work on our bikes.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #460
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,659
Wolfman Expedition Dry Bags on GIVI racks:

Wolman's link to the product: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index....&product_id=96

-37" wide as shown on the GIVI racks (handlebars are 36" wide)
-Rated at 19-21 L apiece. Roll top closure and compression straps means there is some adjustability built into them
-7" wide each +/-
-13" long each +/-
-13" tall each +/- (with aforementioned adjustability in the number of downward rolls you make)
-cheapest I found was $202.00 shipped at sporttour.com, around $210-$220 at other vendors

Pros: high visibility, totally waterproof, look pretty boss, room to lash other shit onto them, very well built, easy to see into them due to yellow color (black would not be as easy), mount solidly, fairly narrow profile and soft so they won't bugger up your leg like a hard bag might when you go over.

Cons: internal stiffener is a total piece of shit (but it is removable, and other options exist, like Bigdog's plastic trash can mod), strap system is fairly technical and makes accessing the contents quickly a pain, requires straps over the passenger seat which can be bothersome with a pillion, depending on the rack you have certain components are required to be removed (on the GIVI you have to remove the two nubs at the bottom of the rack and the triangular locking wedge, effectively meaning you can't use a GIVI bag on the rack without reinstalling those items), no reflective piping, straps are stupidly long (can't believe I am bitching about that) and they flap around a lot (more strap keepers would be nice, you only get 4 per bag).

I'll probably think of other pros and cons as I use them but that's what I got for now.

The biggest potential issue I see with these, for other people: I tend to only use hard bags (or in this case soft bags) when I am camping, and for general day trips and commuting I do not leave the bags on. As such, when I use bags, I tend to pack them, and then forget them until I arrive at my destination and access them. I am not constantly dipping into them on the side of the road. If you like to access your stuff frequently, these may not be the best bags, because the strap system seems a little over the top. There is a compression strap up top, two compression straps on the sides, and two compression straps on the front that also double as the straps that hold the bags to the racks. You also need to burp the bag and roll the lid down a couple times to get the ideal compression of the contents and get everything snugged up. If you do this once a day, when you are packing your shit in the morning, no big deal. If you do this every time you stop, it will be a giant PITA. A hard bag with a simple latch or lock would be a lot easier for that sort of thing.

These are shown filled with my dirty laundry for the week, plus my Thermarest folded in half and rolled tight. There is still more room in them. Based on my testing with various camping items and clothing earlier today, I can carry everything I might need for a 3 day camping trip except the tent in these with room to spare. The tent would be lashed on the luggage rack, or carried in the small Wolfman duffel I also just bought. With the duffel factored into it I am certain I could lug around whatever I might need for a 2 week tour - bearing in mind I'm a fairly light traveler.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #461
fsiul17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
New bags...

I had the givi e21, but wanted something bigger.....so I went with the kappa Garda 33, they work with the givi monokey rack.....

fsiul17 screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 02:02 PM
fsiul17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #462
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 447
I have been riding with a Touratech Zega Pro 38L for the last year.

Top quality product, but on longer rides I could use a bit more lockable storage space.

I have now replaced it with a Kappa Garda KGR 52.

It's similar to Givi Trekker TRK 52, but with a different look (less aluminum panels).
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #463
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
^^^^ Jesus CHRIST man, I didn't even know they MADE top boxes that big

I've got a fairly big (or so I thought, until I saw your pictures) Pelican wannabe on my Wee, and I thought IT was awkward and cumbersome!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #464
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 150
Happy Trail racks and Soloboxes with DIY mounting pieces.

blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 AM   #465
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
^^^^ Jesus CHRIST man, I didn't even know they MADE top boxes that big

I've got a fairly big (or so I thought, until I saw your pictures) Pelican wannabe on my Wee, and I thought IT was awkward and cumbersome!
A 52 liters case is big and a top case never looks good on a bike, but it's not as cumbersome as the perspective makes it appear in the pictures.

Here's a better picture of the similar sized Givi Trekker:
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote