ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #21271
Space Traveler
explorer

Oddometer: 156
Wicked

Well, to get back on the bike topic... I decided to shoot myself in a different environment to see what it could be to have a real custom.

http://www.derysdiary.com/post/72786...-strength-moto

Space Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #21272
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Traveler View Post
Well, to get back on the bike topic... I decided to shoot myself in a different environment to see what it could be to have a real custom.

http://www.derysdiary.com/post/72786...-strength-moto

NIce Pics.

You look like you've been on a diet.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #21273
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Hate it when you tell the truth.

My Tenere lost 40 lbs!

And it lost it on TOP.
Outstanding.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #21274
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
For the last year or so, I have been thinking about the S10 and have been following this thread with interest. I`ve been enjoying the conversation found here. I finally made the "mistake" of test riding one at my dealer last week, and now am looking forward to picking up a new S10 this weekend. I have been under the impression that the bike is to big and heavy for adventure riding but found the low COG to make it feel much lighter than the specs indicate. As time has gone by, I have found that I most enjoy long distance rides, touring and exploring back roads. The S10 looks like a good match for this. Reliability in a bike is a major factor for me, I`d rather ride than wrench, and past experience with Yamaha has been great. I`m planning to trade my 919 in, and expand my horizons a bit.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #21275
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,581
I put 14,000 miles on my 2011 Ninja 1000, which was a fantastic motorcycle! But I learned that for the distances I needed to cover in a day (570 miles) at 80 mph and above, that I was arriving at my destination fairly tired. Plus, the buzzy nature of the four cylinder motor tended to wear on me as well.

Also, when I sought out roads like this, I was always worried about dumping the bike in the dirt and breaking all that expensive body work. Plus I had to slow down significantly when riding the Ninja in the dirt.

Once a friend convinced me to not spend any money on the Ninja to make it more touring oriented, I knew I needed a big adventure bike to get me places in more comfort and to be able to enjoy some dirt roads with some peace of mind. It was a revelation to step off the Super Tenere after a 570 mile day and feel like it was a 200 mile ride.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #21276
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
I put 14,000 miles on my 2011 Ninja 1000, which was a fantastic motorcycle! But I learned that for the distances I needed to cover in a day (570 miles) at 80 mph and above, that I was arriving at my destination fairly tired. Plus, the buzzy nature of the four cylinder motor tended to wear on me as well.

Also, when I sought out roads like this, I was always worried about dumping the bike in the dirt and breaking all that expensive body work. Plus I had to slow down significantly when riding the Ninja in the dirt.

Once a friend convinced me to not spend any money on the Ninja to make it more touring oriented, I knew I needed a big adventure bike to get me places in more comfort and to be able to enjoy some dirt roads with some peace of mind. It was a revelation to step off the Super Tenere after a 570 mile day and feel like it was a 200 mile ride.
Beautiful pictures! I considered trading the 919 for the Ninja 1000, to have better wind protection and to have ABS. The lure of any road travel made me decide on the S10 though. It is good to have some room to stretch too; my 6'2" frame is a little cramped on most sportbikes.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #21277
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by de Vaca View Post
For the last year or so, I have been thinking about the S10 and have been following this thread with interest. I`ve been enjoying the conversation found here. I finally made the "mistake" of test riding one at my dealer last week, and now am looking forward to picking up a new S10 this weekend. I have been under the impression that the bike is to big and heavy for adventure riding but found the low COG to make it feel much lighter than the specs indicate. As time has gone by, I have found that I most enjoy long distance rides, touring and exploring back roads. The S10 looks like a good match for this. Reliability in a bike is a major factor for me, I`d rather ride than wrench, and past experience with Yamaha has been great. I`m planning to trade my 919 in, and expand my horizons a bit.
Yep sounds like your ready for a Tenere. You may enjoy the flashed ECU too really wakes the motor and money well spent. I really appreciate the bike the longer I have it. 2 years and 20,000 miles and I'm still infatuated.Congratulations!!!

true grip screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 05:59 AM
true grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #21278
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,930
I got to run the new KTM 1190R some more today. I was laughing most of the time.
Figured out how to turn the TC off and sport mode. Just pure shits and giggles.

I found an empty freeway on ramp with a subtle incline. I tried to just run it
hard through a few gears. Almost came over in first, backed off and rolled it
hard in second same thing. What a performance animal!

Vibes are very minimal and the shifting is one of the smoothest I can remember.

With my 32 inch inseam it's too tall for me. I was almost tippy toed at stop lights.
Loaded or with a passenger I would really have to pay attention not to have an
off balance tip over.

It doesn't look it but I think the knee to tank ratio is wider than the Tenere.

Overall I have to give it big WOW! They still have a ways to go to earn
my trust but that sure is a damn fun bike.

My wheel better be back soon. I'm starting to forget what the Tenere is like.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #21279
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
XT1200=no regrets. I am crazy for the 1190, MTS, 950SM, RSV...but, the Tenere> works for me! Would not trade it now, at first...not so sure. A real good bike!
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #21280
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Thanks Pluric, now I have to test ride the 1190 since you said the vibes are minimal!
Thank you very much :-I $$$$ :-(
Believe the seat is worse for pillions and it does have a chain :-(
Power is fun but not really needed but smoothness is!
I was going to test ride one before the ST but $8000 more and I love Yamaha bikes made me decide to get the ST, but if I known about the jackhammer vibes it transmit through handlebars and to some extent through pegs I would certainly think twice. Otherwise I love my ST and believe the 2014 model could be an improvement, big improvement at least for me :-?
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #21281
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Read the posts over in the KTM 1190 threads and several guys complain of "vibes" there too, but most say the same as the Tenere and they are a throbbing low frequency thing that is not all that painful. $350 or so for the first 600 mile service on the KTM and this is not even doing a valve check. I love that KTM, but think the Yamaha is by far the better choice for the everyday rider that uses a motorcycle like a truck. That's what I do. The KTM is a whole different animal.
Guys that want a race bike, enjoy that kind of thing, KTM is the way to go. I want both.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #21282
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

All of you that have posted positive reviews of the S10 are right. I'm not sure I need the other bikes in the garage. I found a new old stock (2012 Raven) at the local dealer at a great price and thanks to good weather for a change, have been able to put about 300 miles on it since yesterday. I am still breaking it in, but am impressed. It has wind protection and comfort on road similar to the FJR, low and mid range torque reminiscent of the 1250 GSX, and surprisingly, feels about as nimble on dirt and gravel and in low speed maneuvering as the wee strom. I suspect that I'll like it more as miles accumulate and I am able to start opening the throttle a little more.

de Vaca screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 07:45 PM
Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #21283
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I got to run the new KTM 1190R some more today. I was laughing most of the time.

With my 32 inch inseam it's too tall for me. I was almost tippy toed at stop lights.
off balance tip over.

AGREE!!! what a stunning bike. If KTM can offer an improve relliability this is THE BIKE!

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #21284
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

off balance tip over.

Just curious, but did they solve that nasty heat issue (from the 950/990 E/SM) from the back cylinder onto your right leg?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #21285
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,251
fwiw

I gleaned this from the 1190 thread.

Quote is inmate llamapacker's opinion.
Quote:
Let's see, that is a tough question, they all are good bikes. The KTM 1190 fits me almost exactly like the Super Tenere, and feels similar until you romp on it, the HP difference is noticeable. The weight I don't notice so much, but it is like 60 lbs lighter than the Super Tenere both bare bikes. Transmission on the KTM is very smooth and slick, up and down. Electronic suspension is very very good and I change it while riding, like it a lot!

Have not tested the ABS or TC offroad, the Super Tenere was superb and I was very confident offroad and on road. On road, the KTM is lighter and pulls strong out of the turns, lots of fun and I am still in break-in (the redlight lights up at 6500 rpm). Super Tenere was linear, KTM wants to light a fire above 5500rpm, but super smooth just tooling around down low. Low gear on the KTM is lower geared I believe also.

Griso is a fun bike, engine pulls good, and sounds good. I liked that I could change the maps to my liking. Suspension is no comparsion to the other two, course they both have 7.5" travel, Griso is more like a cruiser in that respect. I got the best mpg with the Griso, 45-46 is gonna be hard to get on the KTM I suspect.