Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #19051
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Nice looking bike you got there. Simple and functional. Bet that Zard is loud.

Thanks. I keep the baffle in on the Zard. It's quite tame until you really open the throttle, then it's just right.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #19052
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,070
I just snapped the drive chain on my '06 Scrambler. Yes I will have some sit down time with the manual, but does anyone have any helpful tips regarding sprocket and chain changing protocol for this bike?
RedMenace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #19053
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
This video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hF8lgVbPQ

demonstrates the difference between the Scram and a Serow. Me, on the Scram has to pick the least lumpy route, whereas the Serow just bounces over whatever is there. The Scram did have the torque to push through the bush which stopped the Serow in its tracks. Swings and roundabouts.
I think this represents the limit of where I'd take a Scrambler, and only if the technical sections were short.

and this is insanity on a Scrambler

One does need to keep things in perspective. If I'm going to ride technical stuff off-road I'll choose a different bike for that ride.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #19054
grebmrof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I think this represents the limit of where I'd take a Scrambler, and only if the technical sections were short.
and this is insanity on a Scrambler

One does need to keep things in perspective. If I'm going to ride technical stuff off-road I'll choose a different bike for that ride.
Am I seeing the rear caliper below the swingarm in this picture? I'd think a few of those rocks are gunning for that puppy. I think I'd rather be riding a 250 sized dual sport bike in that stuff - that is, if I even went there in the first place.
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #19055
none
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
Am I seeing the rear caliper below the swingarm in this picture? I'd think a few of those rocks are gunning for that puppy. I think I'd rather be riding a 250 sized dual sport bike in that stuff - that is, if I even went there in the first place.
That bike has some serious mods to it including a USD fork and many others, I would add an up and over caliper mount and I would take that bike just about anywhere however...be prepared for an ADVENTURE! Oh wait, is this not the ADV website? POSERS
none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #19056
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
That bike has some serious mods to it including a USD fork and many others, I would add an up and over caliper mount and I would take that bike just about anywhere however...be prepared for an ADVENTURE! Oh wait, is this not the ADV website? POSERS
That's a frame grab from one of the Raise the Dust videos. Those bikes were pretty heavily modded, especially that one. I think the terrain you see in the Raise the Dust video series pretty much represents what I'd plan to ride on a Scrambler except for the snow, forget that. I've ridden in snow like that on other bikes and it's sucks, not much fun at all.

I've ridden a few rock piles like that "in my yut" on smaller 2-stroke dirt bikes and honestly I don't really care to do rocks much anymore.

I think the Scambler appeals to a certain age/mentality group in general and I'm fine with that. I'll leave the Erzberg Enduro stuff to others.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #19057
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Putting really good suspension components on my Scrambler will solve 90% the harhness....likely be as good as my BMW GS in everything big whoops where longer travel is more important...
Probably not.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #19058
ago.xr
il più lontano possibile

Oddometer: 43
Scrambler in off-road mod.

Hi everybody,
I've searched in the whole (yes.... almost every pages...) thread but I couldn't find a pic of the Scrambler with 21-18 wheels.
Can anybody provide such a photo?
thanks very much
ago.xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #19059
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Pascal and his Scrambler

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #19060
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
If I'm going to ride technical stuff off-road I'll choose a different bike for that ride.
Problem with that theory is that when you set off into an area that you don't know, you don't know what you're going to come across. So for you to use a different bike for those sections you'd have to be carrying it in your panniers.
And, of course, it's impossible if you've made a 1000 mile trip to get to where you're riding. As we did in my videos which were filmed in the eastern Pyrenees.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #19061
sayonora
doesnt like airplans

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ago.xr View Post
Hi everybody,
I've searched in the whole (yes.... almost every pages...) thread but I couldn't find a pic of the Scrambler with 21-18 wheels.
Can anybody provide such a photo?
thanks very much
There is a dutch man who made a scram like this. put a honda front end on it and 46cm shocks on the rear. It's like a great escape hommage. I've only seen one pic of it, which I'd post if my laptop wasn't broken...I'll try to dig it up.
Looks absolutely brutal btw.

sayonora screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 04:05 AM
sayonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #19062
ago.xr
il più lontano possibile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonora View Post
There is a dutch man who made a scram like this. put a honda front end on it and 46cm shocks on the rear. It's like a great escape hommage. I've only seen one pic of it, which I'd post if my laptop wasn't broken...I'll try to dig it up.
Sounds exactly as what I was looking for. Infact I'm not only interested in the 21-18 mod but also in any "radical" modifications (in the "Off-Road" direction) related to offroad handling and, most important, GROUND CLEARANCE....!
If you'll be able to post the pic it'd be great!

Does anybody know which is the ground clearance (not seat height) of the stock Triumph Scrambler
What type of increase of the ground clearance have you achieved modifing rims/sunspensions?

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #19063
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonora View Post
This. I believe it was an XR 250 or 400 forks with a leading axle.
Chain slack would become the issue among other things (extended brake lines, kickstand etc).
Looks like a cool but top heavy bike.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #19064
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Problem with that theory is that when you set off into an area that you don't know, you don't know what you're going to come across. So for you to use a different bike for those sections you'd have to be carrying it in your panniers.
And, of course, it's impossible if you've made a 1000 mile trip to get to where you're riding. As we did in my videos which were filmed in the eastern Pyrenees.
I hear ya. I usually try to assess my planned routes ahead and choose my bike. Sometimes I will take the lighter bike if it looks like it could get more technical. There are also times I've opted not to go down a particular road/trail if it's looking sketchy for the bike I'm on.

I mean to each his own decisions etc, all I'm saying is keep the expectations in check for the bike you're on and your riding skills. There's a lot of places I won't take my Stelvio because I understand getting stuck with a 600+ lb bike, especially if I'm alone.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 01-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #19065
ago.xr
il più lontano possibile

My goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
This. I believe it was an XR 250 or 400 forks with a leading axle.
Chain slack would become the issue among other things (extended brake lines, kickstand etc).
Looks like a cool but top heavy bike.

My God!!!!
That's my dream bike! It's so tall!
What ground clearance has it...?

Wow!
I love it!

However it's strange... that's a radical modification for the offroad handling but there a lot of things like the brake caliper that is still in the stock position that makes it not so perfect for real offroad, it hasn't any engine guard....
Strange.

By the way I love it.