Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Otherworld OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Question Fort McMurray to Peach River, Alberta

Seeking some assistance/input/guidance/advice/etc routing between Fort McMurray to Peace River. This is a small leg of a 10k+ road trip around N.America. For some dark reason thought checking out first hand the oil sands would be a worth while, eye opening destination

The challenge is Im making a stop at Peace River to see old friends. The main hwys between Fort Mc & Peace Riv entails a lot of back tracking. Asking input from inmates with any first-hand knowledge of the trail system, dirt road conditions, etc, that would shorten the distance and make for a more interesting route. Thanks!
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Northern Ninja
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Unfortunately there is really only one way in and one way out, and that's highway 63. You'd have to back-track almost all the way to Edmonton. Don't travel the 63 Thursday afternoons, or Sunday afternoon - evening, or after dark - EVER.
Northern Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
T0M_NASTY
where ya too?

Oddometer: 47
don't bother heading up that way you can't see anything from the highway beside the plants the mines make sure of it
T0M_NASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Otherworld OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M_NASTY View Post
don't bother heading up that way you can't see anything from the highway beside the plants the mines make sure of it
Figure as much. Corporations must protect their message. I accept the challenge.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Otherworld OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Ninja View Post
Unfortunately there is really only one way in and one way out, and that's highway 63. You'd have to back-track almost all the way to Edmonton. Don't travel the 63 Thursday afternoons, or Sunday afternoon - evening, or after dark - EVER.
I assume you live up there. How accessible are the roads that lead to the pits? Do corporate overlords have gates and guards at each road leading off Hwy 63?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Northern Ninja
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
I assume you live up there. How accessible are the roads that lead to the pits? Do corporate overlords have gates and guards at each road leading off Hwy 63?
You can see some of the plant sites from the highway; you can see the settling ponds, some of the pits and heavy haulers, but it's pretty boring stuff. You definitely can't get on a plant site without an access badge, but again, there's not alot to see. If you've seen an oil refinery, you've pretty much seen this. I think Suncor is still offering a tour, but I could be wrong. The size of the equipment, and Syncrudes' buffalo herd, is really the only amazing thing you're gonna see. IMO, not worth taking your life in your hands on that dangerous - assed highway. If you do come, I can show you around if you like.
Northern Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
Otherworld OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Ninja View Post
You can see some of the plant sites from the highway; you can see the settling ponds, some of the pits and heavy haulers, but it's pretty boring stuff. You definitely can't get on a plant site without an access badge, but again, there's not alot to see. If you've seen an oil refinery, you've pretty much seen this. I think Suncor is still offering a tour, but I could be wrong. The size of the equipment, and Syncrudes' buffalo herd, is really the only amazing thing you're gonna see. IMO, not worth taking your life in your hands on that dangerous - assed highway. If you do come, I can show you around if you like.
Appreciate the offer. Still early-stages trip planning. May take you up on it. Cheers.