User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Deepc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Electrical Troubleshooting Question

I have a 2005.5 950A. I'm having electrical problems. The bike was running fine and all of the sudden it cut out. Now everything is dead. No headlight, dash, fuel pump, nothing.... I have two brand new batteries. If I jump the starter solenoid the bike tries to turn over. All of the fuses appear to be in good shape. I think the ignition switch or the starter solenoid might be the culprit. Can anybody give me some advice on how to trouble shoot this? I have a multimeter but I'm not the best with it. I understand that I may need to purchase a new ignition switch or solenoid but I want to make sure that one of them is indeed the problem before I spend the $$$.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Joe
Deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
start here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942420
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943348

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Deepc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So. I opened up the ignition and had a look at the contacts. There was definitely some wear but I don't think enough to be causing a problem. I also cut off the shrink wrap on the ignition wires to look for broken wires. Everything looks good. I put everything back together and I still have zero power. My brand new Shorai is definitely putting out enough juice. I checked it with a multimeter. So my question is this. If the solenoid is bad would it be cutting off all power to the bike? I have read about solenoid issues on few different threads and most people still get power to the dash and headlights when the solenoid fails. They just can't start the bike. I need to get this figured out soon as I am moving in a few weeks and I need to ride the bike to my new place.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
The white plug that goes into the solenoid is the main feed too power the bike, if it corrodes, like mine did, it will cut all power to the bike.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Deepc;23110389. My brand new Shorai is definitely putting out enough juice. I checked it with a multimeter. [/QUOTE]

Was that under a load or not?

'07 990A
Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Deepc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GoNow- I'm not sure what white plug you are talking about? The black plug that connects to the solenoid has (4) wires coming out if it. (3) white/red & (1) brown wire. All of these are in good shape. The only white plug in that vicinity is the one going to the voltage regulator. That is also in good shape.

Hootowl- I did not test the battery under load because my bike can't start. It is a brand new Shorai and reads 13.50 on the multimeter. I have also tried another battery which is a new Yuasa. I'm positive it isn't a battery problem.

I have seen a electrical schematic of the bike. I 'm just not very good at tracing this stuff out. I know that the positive and negative go to the solenoid but where is a good place to check with the multimeter after that. Like I stated earlier, the bike tries to turn over if I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. Why would't I get dash, headlights, fuel pump tick, etc....

Thanks for all of the input. I have fixed a number of things on this bike but this is definitely the most challenging.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,804
Connect the (-) lead of the meter to a good ground, like the engine case.
Turn it to DC volts and probe with the (+) lead. You should get 13.2 v. Follow the power!!

1. Battery positive
2. big red cable on the back side of the main relay, nearest engine.
3. one side of the main fuse, nearest engine, fuse pulled out.
4. one connector of the four on the main relay with the main fuse back in. Probe with the connector plugged in.
5. the red wire going to the ign switch at the connector.
6. the orange (orange and white?) wire coming from the ign switch, connector plugged in, switch on.
7. one side of ALL fuses with ign turned on.

I'm guessing you won't find power at the main fuse.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Deepc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Zuber-

Thanks for multimeter 101. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll report back.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepc View Post
GoNow- I'm not sure what white plug you are talking about? The black plug that connects to the solenoid has (4) wires coming out if it. (3) white/red & (1) brown wire. All of these are in good shape. The only white plug in that vicinity is the one going to the voltage regulator. That is also in good shape.
Most of those connectors are white, but yours might be different. But in the starter relay is the main fuse, along with a spare.
Unplug and check the connectors. Mine looked fine from the outside, but inside it was green and nasty. Also check the fuse. Because the relay is down low, it tends to get wet and corrodes.

The brown is ground. Not causing your problem. Two of the white/red wires are your main feed. Check for battery voltage on those wires by jamming your meter leads into the back of the connector. Or use a unbent paper clip.

If you have power there, check for voltage at one side of the clock or acc1 fuse. You should always have power there.

See this thread.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943348

GoNOW screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 09:18 PM
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #10
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Deepc;23112236

Hootowl- I did not test the battery under load because my bike can't start. It is a brand new Shorai and reads 13.50 on the multimeter. I have also tried another battery which is a new Yuasa. I'm positive it isn't a battery problem.
.[/QUOTE]

I didn't explain completely. My intent was to have you check the voltage when attempting to start the engine. Frequently a battery will test good voltage without a load but when a load (such as when the starter is engaged) the battery voltage will drop below 10V indicating a weak battery.
Thanks to Zuber's diagnostic tips you're on the path to finding the problem
Richard

'07 990A
Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Deepc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its fixed

I installed a new ignition switch and starter solenoid. The electrical issue has been solved.