ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
editorxx OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 5
Pissed ktm 990 adv rear suspension PROBLEM

I DID THE ENTIRE SUSPENSION SETTING FOR SPORT like the manual says
front is ok
back is ok
BUT i have the problem

low speed and high speed adjustment in the rear
high speed is in TURNS so there's no problem
but the inner screwdriver setting is suposed to be in clicks

i dont hear or feel ANY CLICK
HOW CAN I SET IT??? IS THIS WORKING???
can someones help???


KTM 990 , 2011 white
editorxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,559
There have been numerous reports of that corroding I believe. Although usually you cannot turn it at all. Possible that it snapped off and now turns but does nothing?


Email Superplush Suspension or suspension tuner of your choice. They will know. Common problem area.


When I first overhauled my rear shock they told me it was not put together from the factory properly.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
editorxx OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
There have been numerous reports of that corroding I believe. Although usually you cannot turn it at all. Possible that it snapped off and now turns but does nothing?


Email Superplush Suspension or suspension tuner of your choice. They will know. Common problem area.


When I first overhauled my rear shock they told me it was not put together from the factory properly.
im in argentina, so there is NOT a "suspension tuner of my choice" but THANKS anyway
I WILL CHECK IT WITH MY SERVICE MECHANIC...if anybody nows about it pls help.

thabks
editorxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sumi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Hungary
Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
There have been numerous reports of that corroding I believe. Although usually you cannot turn it at all. Possible that it snapped off and now turns but does nothing?


Email Superplush Suspension or suspension tuner of your choice. They will know. Common problem area.


When I first overhauled my rear shock they told me it was not put together from the factory properly.
That's for the adjuster at the base (at the swingarm) of the shock. The upper screw near the reservoir - which also has a hex nut around it to adjust shouldn't corrode - but yes, it shall click, so probably it's snaped inside - I wouldn't care about it, unless you need to adjust it.
__________________
2005.5 950 Adventure (with 265mm travel suspension)
Sumi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
editorxx OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
That's for the adjuster at the base (at the swingarm) of the shock. The upper screw near the reservoir - which also has a hex nut around it to adjust shouldn't corrode - but yes, it shall click, so probably it's snaped inside.
YES IM TALKING ABOUT THE screw near the reservoir...thanks!!
editorxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hipster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Mpls, Mn.
Oddometer: 1,719
On my shock, I can't hear it click but, you feel the detents.
__________________
2008 KTM 990 Adv & 2007 KTM 640 Adv
Hipster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sumi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Hungary
Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster View Post
on my shock, i can't hear it click but, you feel the detents.
+1
__________________
2005.5 950 Adventure (with 265mm travel suspension)
Sumi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by editorxx View Post
im in argentina, so there is NOT a "suspension tuner of my choice" but THANKS anyway
I WILL CHECK IT WITH MY SERVICE MECHANIC...if anybody nows about it pls help.

thabks


Argentina does not have POST to send it to a tuner? NEws To ME ! Setting UP SusPension is the best thing that can be done 4 your Riding.. And I DON'T MEAN TWISTING knobs.

Tell YOUR SERVICE mechanic a HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING !

MY MIND reading ABIlIty went out with your lack of filling out your location INFORMATION ....

SORRY FOR TRYING TO HELP NooB !..... {sarcasm}
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 1,182
The original post seems pretty clear to me. He was talking about the compression adjuster--not the rebound adjuster that you incorrectly assumed. Lots of guys don't specify their location. Gonna go after all of them?

Question was perfectly valid with or without location specified. Too bad he got such a welcome.
__________________
KTMs--300, 518, 990
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
Zuber
Zoob
 
Zuber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Main Street, Shedd, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,785
Hey Editorxx, if the screw just turns and turns, yer screwed. You need a total service. Hopefully, it is stuck in a good place.

But, if it turns about 6 turns before it stops, you are ok. The detent balls are just corroded. 1/4 of a turn is equal to one click.

Some time you should put some lube in there. Unscrew the hex nut and pull it out. Leave the screw alone, don't turn it. Shoot some penetrating oil in there and reinstall. Then work the screw.
__________________
"Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
"Son, you can't do both"
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #11
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Yascher's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 388
if you can do couple turns and find a stop-you are good, just keep on working that adjuster till you are happy with how the suspension is working,
or it is always better to give it for full owerhaul at professionals, just to get it dialed in to your preferences
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wishing I was back in Grand Junction, now in MN
Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Hey Editorxx, if the screw just turns and turns, yer screwed. You need a total service. Hopefully, it is stuck in a good place.

But, if it turns about 6 turns before it stops, you are ok. The detent balls are just corroded. 1/4 of a turn is equal to one click.

Some time you should put some lube in there. Unscrew the hex nut and pull it out. Leave the screw alone, don't turn it. Shoot some penetrating oil in there and reinstall. Then work the screw.
Zuber, I believe he is talking about the compression adjuster. DO NOT unscrew the comp adjuster!
The resulting oil bath would not be much fun, and the velocity at which the adjuster would be propelled could put your eye out.
__________________
Ronski
Enduro Racer & Big Bike Adventurer
AdvRonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Zuber, I believe he is talking about the compression adjuster. DO NOT unscrew the comp adjuster!
The resulting oil bath would not be much fun, and the velocity at which the adjuster would be propelled could put your eye out.
I can tell you from experience that it starts oozing oil before it becomes a projectile. My compression adjuster screw has the same symptoms. After a couple services that didn't fix the problem, I just set the screw by measuring the location of a friend's, and putting mine to match. Works well enough for now.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014