User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #391
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
AHRMA SL350 Getting New Wheels

The wheels on the SL350 were looking pretty shabby; broken spokes, bent rims, rusty and crusty.

Time for a change! The wheels are being sent to Paul Peroli in Renton, WA. Paul will install new allow wheels and spoke kits, not only will they be lighter and stronger, but better looking too!

On the lift;

Putting Luke to work;

Rear wheel ready;

Both wheels ready to ship off and bike on "rollers";

On another note, after talking to Owen Morgan (legendary chief mechanic of Lameco Racing), I'm no longer convinced that my engine problems were strictly carb/jetting related. Owen pointed out that my battery "eliminator" (a very large capacitor) may not be enough for the engine when under full load. With Luke's guidance, we are looking at all options, most likely will install a small gel battery in addition to the capacitor, am also considering some new smaller more efficent coils and eventually electronic ignition (as suggested by Mr Fast).

In the meantime, additional carb needles, jets and pilots have arrived, so no matter the outcome with ignition, we are ready to continue the carb tuning process.

Stay tuned!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #392
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Rick,
We just got a high output stator kit for Honzilla that with a little tweaking will work in a SL (It was designed for a CB). Bought it from Dennis Kirk. If you're interested give Owen a buzz & he will fill you in on the tweaking.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #393
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
The wheels on the SL350 were looking pretty shabby; broken spokes, bent rims, rusty and crusty.

On another note, after talking to Owen Morgan (legendary chief mechanic of Lameco Racing), I'm no longer convinced that my engine problems were strictly carb/jetting related. Owen pointed out that my battery "eliminator" (a very large capacitor) may not be enough for the engine when under full load. \

Stay tuned!
Man it takes dedication to get these old bikes to work. You got it!
Seattle
darmst6829 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #394
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
Man it takes dedication to get these old bikes to work. You got it!
When we finally hit the sweet spot it will all be worth it. I have faith that at some point this bike will be the red rocket that it can be!

I've had a lot of help and encouragement from many many people including Mr Fast, Owen Morgan, Luke, Loud Al, Twin Duro, Randy Hess, Don Housely, my brother, Don Matthews, Harry Fisher, OC, Lonnie Ortiz, Tom Street, Wide Open Motorsports, my lovely wife and many others I'm sure I should thank or mention. It's definitely been a team effort. Thanks to all of them we continue making forward progress!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #395
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Tell me more about the wheels being built! How much is that gonna run, because I could use a new rear.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #396
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Tell me more about the wheels being built! How much is that gonna run, because I could use a new rear.
OC, I was quoted approximately $380. each for new rims, spokes and labor.

Paul Peroli came very highly recommended, once mine are finished and delivered you can have a look and if you like what you see, we can ship yours to Paul through local race shop guru Harry Fisher (Davis Fisher's grandpa).
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #397
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
OC, I was quoted approximately $380. each for new rims, spokes and labor.

Paul Peroli came very highly recommended, once mine are finished and delivered you can have a look and if you like what you see, we can ship yours to Paul through local race shop guru Harry Fisher (Davis Fisher's grandpa).
Sounds good.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #398
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Can't wait to see those wheels Rick! Paul ("The Wheelsmith") is well known in the vintage/classic bike crowd in the Puget Sound area; he does beautiful work!

Also curious about the tweaks required for the high-output stator kit Mr. Fast mentioned. If it's the kit I'm thinking of, Rick's Motorsports Electrics makes it, and it's a good looking kit for a reasonable price:

http://ricksmedealer.com/press/2007-..._honda_kit.pdf

I'm not positive, but doesn't Rick's Motorsports redesign operate in a similar way to OC's SL's charging system (after Luke's revamp on it)?

TwinDuro screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 09:37 AM
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #399
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

TL125 Progress

Got a good start on the TL125 today, first up was taking Luke's crusty spare motor and giving it a bit of cleaning.

Before;

After;

Then got started on the chassis. This bike came from a local bike wrecking yard in 2005, my daughter and I took it down to the frame and redid it to make a trail bike for her, so some work has already been done. If I remember correctly (so many old bikes they just sort of blur together...), we did wheel bearings, seals, brake shoes, chain and sprockets, etc., so other than good cleaning and checking, we may be able to slip the motor in, service bearings, swing arm, forks and then clean up the trim and be good to go. Only time will tell.

Before;

After;

Removed headlight, Preston Petty fender and a few other pieces, then threw on the stock fuel tank and for grins placed one of Luke's spare CB650 front fenders on it, just to see how it looks. I kind of like it so far.

I may have to get back on ebay and start hunting another set of old chrome or aluminum fneders. Hmmm....
Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #400
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all of our two wheeling friends! Hope you all have great adventures and ride safe in 2014!

Started the new year by getting our AH Sprite out, cleaning her up and going for a spin with the roof off. Wasn't quite brave enough to get the road bike out.

Got home, went to work on "Nellie" our '86 class C Winnie and adventure support vehicle. Last summer pulled all the non essential emissions BS off, am still sorting out the vacuum hoses, etc. Want everything in top top shape before heading to the D100 in April.

Current projects are; TL125, SL350 AHRMA MX, SL350 for DS Ride, Shadow for Hells Canyon Rally, Nellie, and just keeping all the other rolling stock for myself, friends and family running!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #401
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
The TL's looking good Rick!

Speaking of the TL125... Here's something you gotta see:

http://www.onlytrial.com/1/from_1970_to_75_120292.html

http://www.onlytrial.com/1/from_1975_to_80_120291.html
Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #402
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro View Post
The TL's looking good Rick!

Speaking of the TL125... Here's something you gotta see:

http://www.onlytrial.com/1/from_1970_to_75_120292.html

http://www.onlytrial.com/1/from_1975_to_80_120291.html
Thanks TwinDuro! With Luke's help, we made some good progress yesterday, will post photos and update later this weekend, hopefully after some more shop time/progress. Also just ordered some bits and pieces for Nellie to continue her progress!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #403
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

TL125 Progress

Here's where we left off;

Grinding rivets to separate fender from bracket;

Separated, note how bent up bracket is, straightening it will be easier after reliefs are cut out for upper fork legs;

Marked for relief cuts;

One side cut (using 4" cutoff wheel);

Both sides cut and semi finished and straightened;

Fender bracket trial fit on forks, so far so good. Note trials tire donated and mounted by Luke;

Fender test fit on modified bracket (hard to believe this came from a CB650);

Liking this!

Time to fit a rear fender (lucky for me Luke had TWO CB650 front fenders), lines give rough idea of proposed cut, will leave lower portion intact;

Trimmed damaged section of chrome fender off just below rear seat, drilled one hole and bolted it all back together for initial fit;

Not bad for a 3/4 a$$ effort!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #404
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 326
You guys are having too much fun.
'71 SL 350 - Honda

drdubb screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 02:49 PM
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #405
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Fenders, football, short-track and tires...

Saturday morning I got out in the shop early, wanted to make progress on the trials bike before the Seahawks game and then the plan was to head South to Salem for the indoor short track as soon as the football game was over. I'm sure glad things are slowing down as I get older.

After installing the rear fender (bobbed the worst of the two CB650 fenders Luke had) I planned to take the better of the two fenders, grind out the rivets and install onto the mounting bracket modifed from the first fender. After more grinding and finish work, I riveted the second fender to the modifed bracket and installed on the fork legs. It seemed simple enough, but it took a couple of hours.

The finished product;

At Salem, three generations of dirt track racers: Harry Fisher, Rex Fisher (former national number #12) and Davis Fisher, rising star;

Davis dominated the racing Saturday night and finished each race with a back-stretch wheelie. Cool!

Sunday, it was watching more football, this time my second favorite team, the Broncos. After that, back to the shop to try and get a little more done.

Time to change the crappy back tire (that's not mud);

The tire was an ancient retread knobby, it was so stiff it had been ridden by my daughter for years without air (and thanks to the two rim-locks);

My efforts to remove the stiff carcass was damaging the rim, so I decided to get serious with my trusty recip saw;

And now we're ready for a new tire and tube. Here is the used tire Luke offered, but I discovered a missing spoke so that will have to be fixed before mounting the tire;

As soon as the back tire is installed, I'll swap out motors and get it running. I need to wrap up the majority of this project by the weekend, so I can get back on the motorhome and get it ready to roll this spring. It's never boring around here!