ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #31
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
I had mine tuned by the same tuner and got 102 with just Akro cans on 990R.
I told him I thought it would be more, he stated everyone he has had on the Dyno has averaged in the high 80's to low 90's. Mine started out at 96 before he started working on the mapping. And the bike is always warmed up because they do a baseline run.
Hoping to get back for more tuning now that I went with the Rottweiler intake.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #32
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Mine had the AFR down at the bottom of the sheet(he must of clipped his link short on that Dyno sheet).
Also this tuner is at sea level. He did tell me that the tire you have on the rear will directly impact your rear wheel Hp. Big knobbie type tires will hurt your final numbers, if you care about that
Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #33
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Interesting question. Horsepower is an engineering term. A theory.

If the true question is "how can I make my bike go faster" the answer is almost universal:

Training and practice.

One could certainly make an argument for better suspension as well.
Truth
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #34
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
It takes more than 1 pull on the dyno to warm the bike up they should run it until they get overlapping results, also I checked there website and he only has a Dyno Jet 200 so he has no way to load control the bike, you cannot properly tune a EFI bike without a load control Dyno. AB:-)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
FYI I just had my '07 tuned by Nels at 2wheel dyno in the pacific nw

My bike did ~90hp. The custom tune (o2s off) showed a gain of 10hp over the akro map with O2s on. The bike has Leo Vince exhaust with baffles and an itg air filter, as well as a rekluse clutch.

The only other chart I've seen is the one in this thread which I believe was a 2010 at about 97hp (same dyno) so I expected mine to be lower due to the older less aggressive cams and engine components of the 07/08 bikes

Nels mentioned that knobby/heavy tires put down less power on the dyno. Also, the akro map was lean at high rpm with the open air filter.

I do think my bike has a couple of mechanical issues - lots of oil out of the breather so either a bad balancer seal or blow by the rings - tbd. I also get a little clutch slippage sometimes since adding a rekluse clutch. I'm also trying to diagnose a rhythmic thumping/knocking I can feel through the footpegs while at less than 4300rpm or so in 6th gear and going up hill (ie under load)- not sure if it's engine, clutch, or drivetrain related.

The bike runs MUCH better with the new tune - it's worth doing if you can find a place. Improved fuel economy, smoother, and pulls to redline much better. Nels is highly recommended. Super cool guy, knows these bikes, and uses tuneecu rather than requiring spend on a power commander.

Also, to the point of others posts, while this bike has half the hp of my s1000rr and feels kinda slow compared, in the real world on ca back roads I'm faster on the 990 because the ergos are good and the suspension is confidence inspiring over rough pavement, etc

BigTony screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 07:10 PM
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #36
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGibbons View Post
FYI I just had my '07 tuned by Nels at 2wheel dyno in the pacific nw

My bike did ~90hp. The custom tune (o2s off) showed a gain of 10hp over the akro map with O2s on. The bike has Leo Vince exhaust with baffles and an itg air filter, as well as a rekluse clutch.

The only other chart I've seen is the one in this thread which I believe was a 2010 at about 97hp (same dyno) so I expected mine to be lower due to the older less aggressive cams and engine components of the 07/08 bikes

Nels mentioned that knobby/heavy tires put down less power on the dyno. Also, the akro map was lean at high rpm with the open air filter.

I do think my bike has a couple of mechanical issues - lots of oil out of the breather so either a bad balancer seal or blow by the rings - tbd. I also get a little clutch slippage sometimes since adding a rekluse clutch. I'm also trying to diagnose a rhythmic thumping/knocking I can feel through the footpegs while at less than 4300rpm or so in 6th gear and going up hill (ie under load)- not sure if it's engine, clutch, or drivetrain related.

The bike runs MUCH better with the new tune - it's worth doing if you can find a place. Improved fuel economy, smoother, and pulls to redline much better. Nels is highly recommended. Super cool guy, knows these bikes, and uses tuneecu rather than requiring spend on a power commander.

Also, to the point of others posts, while this bike has half the hp of my s1000rr and feels kinda slow compared, in the real world on ca back roads I'm faster on the 990 because the ergos are good and the suspension is confidence inspiring over rough pavement, etc
Yes I used Nels As well. He really does know his stuff.My bike ran better after as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #37
Bad_Weather
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I'm going to head down or Rottweiler and make a sizeable donation.
Question, do I need to buy tune ecu ; power commander or can the stock ecu be re flashed with a new map ? Does that require the orange key ? (Got my bike used and only one key w/ no orange)
Old 01-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #38
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Weather View Post
Question, do I need to buy tune ecu ; power commander or can the stock ecu be re flashed with a new map ? Does that require the orange key ? (Got my bike used and only one key w/ no orange)
TuneECU is a free software program used with a cable (Rottweiler sells them) to remap the ecu. Power Commander is a different, and some say better, way of doing something similar.

Neither use the orange key.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #39
sstewart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
The Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
TuneECU is a free software program used with a cable (Rottweiler sells them) to remap the ecu. Power Commander is a different, and some say better, way of doing something similar.

Neither use the orange key.
Just say no to the Orange Key! Don't even ask how I know
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #40
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Weather View Post
Stock Ecu can be reflashed,do not need orange key.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #41
Bad_Weather
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thanks for the info guys !!!