Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
themotojourney OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
950 Adventure not starting + is KTM really better than BMW?

Help; I am losing patience with my old KTM 950 Adventure. Please save her from the small ads!

After standing for two weeks in low UK temperatures she fired on first go, then the engine stuttered slightly and stopped. I tried to start again but nothing and then the battery gave out. (It doesn't take much to exhaust the stock battery cranking power in cold weather).

I tried with a fresh battery today. The engine turned but did not fire. Clutch or throttle alterations made no difference. When turning over the engine sounded like it was compressing but not firing.

Fuses in the starter relay and the main fuse box were fine.

So my thoughts are;

Fuel pump problems
Fuel line problems
Ignition spark problems
Some kind of carb icing legacy?

Can anyone help with advice or recommendations please?
themotojourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey_man! View Post
Help; I am losing patience with my old KTM 950 Adventure. Please save her from the small ads!

After standing for two weeks in low UK temperatures she fired on first go, then the engine stuttered slightly and stopped. I tried to start again but nothing and then the battery gave out. (It doesn't take much to exhaust the stock battery cranking power in cold weather).

I tried with a fresh battery today. The engine turned but did not fire. Clutch or throttle alterations made no difference. When turning over the engine sounded like it was compressing but not firing.

Fuses in the starter relay and the main fuse box were fine.

So my thoughts are;

Fuel pump problems
Fuel line problems
Ignition spark problems
Some kind of carb icing legacy?

Can anyone help with advice or recommendations please?
Trying to fire the big girl up for the UK spring are we?

Don't give up yet - could be a case of old gasoline or water in the gasoline from condensation over winter.

It's a bit of a shame that the big girl is so hard to work on but it'd be real nice to check your fuel filters and clean your spark plugs.

And I'm not too familiar with the 950 but there should be a drainage plug at the bottom of the carburetors - all carburetors have a drainage plug right? Try letting some out and see if you get rid of any water.

At the very least let the bike sit in a warm garage for a least 24h and then try with a fresh battery.

If you've let her sit over winter with a half-empty or nearly empty gas tank and if you get her running drive straight to a gas station and fill her up - that will even out the bad-good fuel ratio.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
themotojourney OP
Adventurer

Thanks. I'll have a look for the carburettor's plug. She has been ridden through the winter so it's not a long term build up. Only been standing for two weeks.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Thanks. I'll have a look for the carburettor's plug. She has been ridden through the winter so it's not a long term build up. Only been standing for two weeks.
If she's only been standing for two weeks it's a bit strange, should have fresh gasoline in her.

Could be condensation and ice blockage in the fuel filters or carbs (very rarely anywhere else).

I'd let her sit inside in a really nice a warm place for 24h and see what happens.

Carbs have their charm when they work but they're not the easiest in the winter or when it rains.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
After a few months sitting idle my 950 had a bad fuel pump. Take the bash plate off, remove the FP black plastic cover, and push/pull a few strokes on the pumping shaft untill it feels full of fuel.

Crank it.

Have you checked the fuel valve on left tank?

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:

After standing for two weeks in low UK temperatures she fired on first go, then the engine stuttered slightly and stopped.
I had a similar issue. It refused to start (after quitting while idling). Drained battery, replaced battery, drained replacement.

In the end I pulled the plugs, seemed fine, cleaned them and it fired up on 1st touch of the button.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
themotojourney OP
Adventurer

Just to close this down, in the end the ol' Katoom had to go. Too many niggles and the potential of more.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by themotojourney View Post
Just to close this down, in the end the ol' Katoom had to go. Too many niggles and the potential of more.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
See you when you get back from Gspot

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946251
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote