User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #46
thebarber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
giant loop & ortleib

great when trailing on own, but ive just bought sum ally panniers for 2 up trips
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 AM   #47
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
Do you have any photos from the back in order to see the width? I've been looking into that system for awhile now. I like the compactness and ease of removal. Any other thoughts on the setup? Likes/dislikes?
The bike is in hibernation, no photos from the rear, sorry. Less wide than the handlebars, which I find important!

Likes: the fact that when I dropped the bike totally on its side there was no damage. I like the separate compartmentation of 4 bags, gives me a chance to split things up. I get my tent including poles in 1, sleeping bag, liner, airbed and pump in another, 2 water bottles and food in the third, cooking, washing and medical in the 4th.

The boards attach with machined alloy brackets and clamps, I swapped the clamps for M6 screws for extra security and carry an 8mm ratchet ring to remove quickly.

No dislikes, I guess in theory they are less secure than locked boxes, but if someone wants to screwdriver a lock or prise open an aluminium case they will do.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #48
Ianuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I've got Gobi's panniers on mine at the moment which have been great but I'm now looking for a narrower set up with more space. After clouding a couple of cars this summer...

Has anyone had any experience with Vern's panniers at http://http://www.projectvnd.com

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
-the Dalai Lama
Ianuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #49
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianuk View Post
I've got Gobi's panniers on mine at the moment which have been great but I'm now looking for a narrower set up with more space. After clouding a couple of cars this summer...

Has anyone had any experience with Vern's panniers at http://http://www.projectvnd.com
Not familiar with the Vern's but they look like copies of the jesse design - as for width, the jesses are the most narrow setup I found in hard cases - the racks are tucked in very tightly...
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 AM   #50
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Peanuts thanks for the feedback! Yes, slimmer than the handlebars is what I care about as well...some of the other setups are quite bulky, something I cannot tolerate.

The price is a bit off-putting but I think the design more than makes up for it. I also like the compartmentalized concept rather than a big bag of sh*t.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #51
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
Do you have any photos from the back in order to see the width? I've been looking into that system for awhile now. I like the compactness and ease of removal. Any other thoughts on the setup? Likes/dislikes?

Hello gents,

This thread - and request in particular - just popped up on my radar, so I hope you won't mind if I chime in with the requested photo of the arse-end of an Overlandered 990:

(photo credit Inmate Wantajustride. More here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...878&page=1057)

Got more shots of the system on my 2010 990, but apparently not one from the rear, it seems. Happy to share if you like.

Clearly, I might be considered a tad biased, so I'm not going to push it. But I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the Kriega set-up. And, by all means, feel free to post them in my Vendor's thread, if you'd prefer.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #52
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post

Hello gents,

This thread - and request in particular - just popped up on my radar, so I hope you won't mind if I chime in with the requested photo of the arse-end of an Overlandered 990:

(photo credit Inmate Wantajustride. More here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...878&page=1057)

Got more shots of the system on my 2010 990, but apparently not one from the rear, it seems. Happy to share if you like.

Clearly, I might be considered a tad biased, so I'm not going to push it. But I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the Kriega set-up. And, by all means, feel free to post them in my Vendor's thread, if you'd prefer.

Cheers,

Michael
This is the system I want, but unfortunately will have to probably wait a long time to get. I sure wish it was more affordable.

ben
Old 01-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #53
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
That's perfect, thanks!

I always seem to forget about water when planning my camp setup and I think that's is great with the fuel and water Rotopax on there.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #54
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
ooh, that's a nice looking setup right there. I really like my Gobis as far as hard cases are concerned, but if I'm riding hard off road, I typically unlock the latches to the rack and just strap them on so that they can break free if I hit something, which has happened before. The only real downside is that because they are a dual-wall design, there isn't quite as much room inside as you might expect. I don't have any experience with the top case.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #55
Gfeldy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Is that 3 15's or 20's?

Quote:

Hello gents,

Cheers,

Michael
Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #56
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 923
That's 3x 15L Drypacks + 2x 1-gallon RotopaX on the sides with the 4th 15L pack on the rear rack.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #57
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 499
Wolfman Expedition dry saddlebags work wonderfully at a reasonable price point. I know many 990 owners that use them. I'm working on a custom set up for quick removal of the rotopax from my saddlebag rack, as in no bolts, or I can mount them on my crash bars if I choose. I'll post up pic's when they get back from powder coat.

MKJ screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 06:58 PM
MKJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #58
kanur
cu new er

Oddometer: 676
I've been real happy with my Steel Ponies

Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #59
mudder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
We like Touratech panniers.
mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #60
Gfeldy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Just ordered my first half of this system yesterday. I'm really excited to get the bike dialed in.

Quote:
That's 3x 15L Drypacks + 2x 1-gallon RotopaX on the sides with the 4th 15L pack on the rear rack.

Cheers,

Michael