User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 455 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #31651
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
The only gun I ever sold was the first AR I built. It turned out really nice, but I sold it at a profit and built another one I like more. I have an XD in 40 that I'm not in love with and for the right price would gladly let go of.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #31652
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,655
I've actually given away a number of guns, and not regretted any of those "gifts". Not counting guns I purchased for my kids as they were growing up, I gave a couple of guns to past and current girlfriends and am happy to have done so. I also inherited about a dozen really nice guns from my dad when he passed away in 2007. His will specified that I receive all of his guns because neither my brother nor my sister were particularly interested in guns, and they both were given other personal property items instead. But I have a bunch of guns of my own, so I decided to keep four of the guns dad left me that held specific sentimental value to me, and gave the rest to my sibs, one to my son, and a couple to my sister's son.

Giving stuff away can feel good. Selling less so. Not sure why that is, but it is.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #31653
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,458
Guns are like motorcycles. I can't afford to buy them all, and I get to play with more of them if I only use them for a while then pass them on to the next guy who wants to try it. I've bought a bunch of guns, and sold a bunch of guns. Can't say I have any regrets about a single one.

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #31654
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,283
What to do....

So a while ago I got a smokin deal on a trade for a camera I had for a like new Firestar plus. I shot it to make sure it worked, and it does, flawlessly. I stuck it in my safe and have not touched it since. This was about three months ago. I decided to stick it on a local site for sale so I can buy a new shotgun big5 has on sale and a guy offers to trade me straight up for a cherry Sprewerke P38....Hmmm, maybe trade then sell the P38 for more than 350 and buy the shottie and have some clams left or sell the firestar and just buy the shotgun......
Old 01-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #31655
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
So a while ago I got a smokin deal on a trade for a camera I had for a like new Firestar plus. I shot it to make sure it worked, and it does, flawlessly. I stuck it in my safe and have not touched it since. This was about three months ago. I decided to stick it on a local site for sale so I can buy a new shotgun big5 has on sale and a guy offers to trade me straight up for a cherry Sprewerke P38....Hmmm, maybe trade then sell the P38 for more than 350 and buy the shottie and have some clams left or sell the firestar and just buy the shotgun......
I've sold and traded a few guns over the years, some I've later wished I still had, but mostly it was okay. When I was a lawyer in private practice I'd have the occasional client who wanted to do some barter, and guns were sometimes the item offered. They weren't always guns I wanted/needed or thought I would use, so sometimes I'd turn them around and either sell, or trade for something I wanted. I picked up some nice guns in a few of those fee-for-stuff transactions, but also some near junk. When the latter happened I just took the junk thinking that if I didn't there'd not be a pay-day coming later. Bird in the hand......

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #31656
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I've sold and traded a few guns over the years, some I've later wished I still had, but mostly it was okay. When I was a lawyer in private practice I'd have the occasional client who wanted to do some barter, and guns were sometimes the item offered. They weren't always guns I wanted/needed or thought I would use, so sometimes I'd turn them around and either sell, or trade for something I wanted. I picked up some nice guns in a few of those fee-for-stuff transactions, but also some near junk. When the latter happened I just took the junk thinking that if I didn't there'd not be a pay-day coming later. Bird in the hand......
Yeah this can go good for me if I am willing to wait for the P38 to sell since they sell for 5~600 pretty easily. I never see the Firestars sell for more than 350 round here. Which is what mine is valued at right now. Who knows, might just get the P38 and keep it and buy the shotgun on sale.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #31657
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Having broken both down, they are astonishingly similar in design. I don't know who 'was first' as such.

The entire barrel, recoil spring and slide design look like they were done by the same person, frankly. Not that that is a bad thing - it's a VERY good design, simple, sturdy and easy-peasy to maintain.

IIRC, M&P was released in 2006ish and the FNS in 2012 or so, that is why I was asking. I was not sure if you were referring to the HiPower instead of the FNS and meant that design was carried over to both.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #31658
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Talking

My 1873 Springfield in 45-70. By S/N, this is a 1878 version.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #31659
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,111
Went and looked at the 375 H&H today. $650 for a synthetic stock lefty Remington 700 with a cheap Tasco scope. Not all that bad, but I really was hoping for real lumber. While I was there, I looked at a Winchester single shot 6.5x55 that was stone cold gorgeous. Apparently it was a limited release for Shot show last year. Definitely out of my price range for now, but that will likely be my next major move.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #31660
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post

Awesome!

I bet it's a riot.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #31661
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post

That's really nice. It looks like what we as kids called "The Gun".

My grandparents had a Civil War percussion rifle that I was too young to ever think about what it was. It had been made inoperative by pouring lead down the barrel I was told. Whenever we would go to their house we would badger my grandfather to see "The Gun". My uncle did something with it when My grandparents died and that's the last I ever saw of it.

Thanks for sharing.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #31662
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I'm really loving these two lately. I've gotten onto a revolver kick this year.
Ruger GP-100 and S&W 617

engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #31663
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Well, I got the P38

Man, what a nice gun. I never had one and always wanted to at least shoot one. This one is in such great condition I can't believe it is from 1942. The holster even looks excellent. It is a GI bring back, and was nikel plated by the GI who brought it back as many were. It is a Spreewerke made (Walther) P38.

considering I had maybe 125 into the Firestar plus I traded for it I came out pretty good me finks.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #31664
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Man, what a nice gun. I never had one and always wanted to at least shoot one. This one is in such great condition I can't believe it is from 1942. The holster even looks excellent. It is a GI bring back, and was nikel plated by the GI who brought it back as many were. It is a Spreewerke made (Walther) P38.

considering I had maybe 125 into the Firestar plus I traded for it I came out pretty good me finks.
That's pretty cool.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #31665
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,026
Saw a Russian made combo gun today at Cabela's, a Baikal with a 12 ga on top of a .30-'06.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: