Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
YamahaRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Lets get back to Gymkhana...

This is definitely one of my goals to be this confident around the cones. It helps greatly to review footage of my own rides whenever I can, to see where I'm loosing time. I know I'm loosing a lot around cones, by braking too much and not trusting and leaning enough to get around at the higher speed.

Its weird. I can get my knee down by just doing circles, but going around the cone, the perception changes greatly, and everything feels to be moving much faster. I know we had guys scraping their footpegs, going around cones this summer. Not due to bad form, but being fast through the course. I don't think I ever scraped a peg yet. At least not going around the cone.

Its a joy to see these guys though, so smooth.

Going through a course everything is moving, but also direction changes so often as opposed to going in circles. It comes down to a trust in the grip. (this is julius btw) For new guys it's not enough trust, when we slide it's too much trust lol. I remember towards the end of November where you damaged your rear brake pedal you had a lot of confidence in both your tires. In warmer circumstances you definitely would have made that turn.

Looking back to when I first started with you guys I didn't have much trust in the grip of the front tire with my CBR. Then after the third session I had a lot more trust in in it. The michelin's on my R6 have superior grip to my CBR stock touring tires, but I don't have what people call "feel" for the front tire's grip as I do with the CBR. Now with my new bike I'm having to learn how the stock bridgestones feel. Sucks we can't go to the limit in this temperature.

These guys in the video know that the tire won't slide at this speed with this lean and braking force. I think it takes a few slippery experiences (not necessarily lowsiding) to truly understand where the limit of grip lies. The toughest place to trust the grip is a sharp change of direction after a long fast sweeper. The place I have most trouble in and hope to improve are consecutive tightspace haipins. 62 days to spring, should work on my trailbraking as much as I can.
YamahaRN is offline   Reply With Quote