Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #76
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Is his name Richard by chance ? If so, small world.....he's my BIL.
Handy guy to know!

In for the rest. Nice work. I am a fan of motor swaps - I put a KX500 motor in a TZ250 chassis, and a XT600 motor into a GS500 chassis for racing friends about 15 years ago. I must be a curse, however: the KXTZ owner had a spinal infection that sidelined him from racing permanently, and the XTGS owner was killed in a car accident. Neither ever ran in anger.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #77
muttley92 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
So the cooling problem has been narrowed down to the water level in the rad being below the water pump. I scored these off of ebay for 2.20

BARGAIN!!!

I rigged them up from the bars so that they were of sufficient height and plumbed it as close to stock as I could.

At 105C on the clocks the rad was hot! Result. So I need to make a header tank and possibly get a booster pump if it runs hot at idle.

On a high note the bike now starts first time from hot
muttley92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #78
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
If I understand the problem with the first radiator... can you lift the front end up to 45 or so to get the air out of the pump and prime it, and put the rad cap on?

Shocked at how cheap those dirt bike radiators were.

Agree with the others, you should forego the oil tank due to bleeding and drain hassles, don't want some air going through to the big end of the rod.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #79
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,039
Just read the whole thread - great work so far! This is going to be a really sweet ride - can't wait to hear some riding impressions.

Maybe my opinion doesn't count for much, but the build quality looks really quite good, and that includes the motor mounts.

Best of luck in the completion.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #80
muttley92 OP
Adventurer

Been busy recently with work but just bought an electric booster pump to try and sort out the cooling. Will hopefully get it fitted this weekend and get back with an update. The tank has started leaking again, not best pleased with that but it's a reason to make an alloy one. I'm going to get a tig set in a couple of months and I'm planning to make a fuel tank, a header tank, reinforce the engine mounts (not because anything has cracked, but since I'm getting a weld set I might as well do it) Make a bracket for the oil tank. And eventually start work on a frame jig for my next project, but going to finish this one first. I'll soon be after another set of rads too. Another update soon.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #81
muttley92 OP
Adventurer

Well the water pump has sorted the cooling issue. I've removed the thermostat and made a big washer so that it doesn't leak. I had to turn the rd around to get the stock outlets where I needed. By the time the clocks read 50 deg the rad is hot. Winning! The pump is of the Davies Craig flavour and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to boost cooling potential at low rpm. I'll make a proper bracket for it shortly. here are some photos.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:42 AM   #82
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,002
Brilliant effort. Good on you, lad.

Just saw this bike the other day. Perhaps it'll give you some inspiration.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #83
muttley92 OP
Adventurer

That looks awesome. Nicely finished and more complete than mine will ever be. I like the breather solution into the subframe. Might try that on mine. I know it all seems to have gone quiet but Im slowly sorting things out. Been really busy with work of late. Made a header tank yesterday, will get some brackets on it and hopefully route the cooling hoses by the end of the month. I'll try abs put some photos up when I make significant progress with it.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #84
muttley92 OP
Adventurer

I've made a header tank and a bracket to hold it in up the front that also replaces the original radiator mount, (No penis jokes please ) will get some grommets and weld some bosses on the header tank to isolate it a bit, need to make another bracket to go on top too. I've got a filler neck and some stainless hose joiners to weld on to finish it.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #85
MikeJansen
Lost

That is looking brilliant mate!

Small world, I did Automotive Engineering at Loughborough Uni and was a member of both LSUMC and LSUMCC while I was there. I'll be following this as this looks mad as a box of frogs.

Mike
Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #86
muttley92 OP
Adventurer

Pretty sure I saw you asked to join the LSUMC the other day? Think Matt added you, he's running the facebook page on his own whilst I'm on placement. Hopefully I'll be more involved next year.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #87
MikeJansen
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley92 View Post
Pretty sure I saw you asked to join the LSUMC the other day? Think Matt added you, he's running the facebook page on his own whilst I'm on placement. Hopefully I'll be more involved next year.
Yeah I just found the FB page through Tom and Tish. I was Garage Sec in 2004-2006 of both clubs but gradumacated in 2010. Been down in Essex since 2011.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #88
muttley92 OP
Adventurer

I've also given up with the fuel cell idea and cut up an Old RGV tank I was given by my good friend Ian at BikeMotorWorks in Grendon.