Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #16
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
WoW..Thanks for the helpful tip INMATES, really is great info.
I am D36 and AMA member, I have lots of northern California tight trails experience even with the XR650L, It has non-DOT Knobbies,4.0 gal tank,
a working HORN,mirror will be removed

It has the Stock o.e.m odometer that is resetable.
I have NEVER raced a enduro, so there will be Learning
1)? do i reset the odometer at every Check? or when do i reset the odo.
2)? Key time, lets say key time is 0900, my minute is 32- do i set my watch to 0932 or 0900 when i leave on my minute?.
Again THANK YOU fellow INMATES and enduro RIDERS
JOHN
Latch on to a A rider and don't pass him! from the looks of the bike your riding that probably not going to be a problem
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
ReferJohn OP
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 434
Barnyard Thanks for the help again, I have a link to a famliy Enduro route sheet from 2012, they show key time @ 0900 and run hour format
http://www.cera.org/Events/Crazy/201...Routesheet.pdf
would I still set my clock at 1200 or do the 0900 with this example?
IF I am being a PIA let me know, I really do apperciate your help!

JOHN
Old 01-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
would I still set my clock at 1200 or do the 0900 with this example?
9:00.

You want your clock to show the same numbers as the route sheet.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,367
Check this out
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,245
Barn- I'm gonna try your method of the clock and route sheet (i.e. no odo).

You will ALWAYS have discrepancies in odo mileage from the course mileage, but the time will always be right (assuming you have a good clock synchronized with key time). If you hit a marker early, slow down. Hit it late, speed up.

Generally, I haven't really worried about keeping time. I'm a C-rider, but I've gotten a lot faster in the last year since I got a lighter bike.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #21
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,908
Hey Refer John-
I was talking to my friend who runs all the D36 family enduros, and has ridden and set enduros for a long time. He said a couple things that I'll pass on:

Cow Mt. isn't doing a family enduro this year, they're only doing the championship enduro. First enduro is at Hollister. My friend advised against trying the cow mt. enduro on a xr650l. Strongly.

Second, not sure how often this happens in other areas, but it does happen here: Course mileage may not match your mileage at times because the organizers can adjust mileage to make a certain checkpoint work. Checkpoints can only be at certain mileages so that it falls on a minute. What this means is that you should expect to match your odo up whenever you see a mileage marker, no matter how correct your odo is, the mileage markers take precedent. An odo that adjusts up and down in tenths is important.

Hope that helps with a bit of local knowledge. Check out the offroad section in BARF, too, more locals active there.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #22
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,121
I've done a few of our local enduros, though they are the Restart Format (more like several mini-Harescrambles tied together with connector sections). I've found it's still easy to over-complicate things for yourself. You'll be trying to think about going fast, but at the same time trying to worry about timing, and all that crap. Do like Barnyard said, get there early (or night before) and try to talk to some people.

A simple trick for keeping time is get on a line with someone faster than you and someone slower. Never beat the faster guy, and never lose to the slower guy, and you should come out at about the right time. No time keeping required. Simple.

My first Enduro, I ended up on the line with the guys I was pitted next to. I more or less followed them, and we were able to help push each other to go faster. I wasn't really concerned with how I finished in that one, mainly wanted to try an Enduro out.

Whatever you do, have fun. If you're thinking "I'm just gonna go to have fun, not really push too hard, not race..", it won't work. I have yet to meet anyone who has been able to successfully go to a race and not at some point have the "I gotta go faster" mindset.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #23
robert110411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
"Hello inmates, I have been riding/racing motorcycles (MX) for 36 years.
This year i am going to race my first ever Enduro, i would like to race the series. However, since i never race a Enduro event i am a TOTAL NOOB
to time keeping. "

Stop right there.

I've been meaning to respond to this for like 4 days now but I've been too busy all day and to tired at night.

It's been a really long time since I've ridden an Enduro and they've all been on the east coast. I'm plannig on riding a few later this year if all goes according to plan (basically i haven't let my wife in on the "I'm getting another bike Honey" since she keeps looking at the 4 current ones and mumbling something that sounds like "Yard sale".

If you've never ridden an Enduro the first few your time will probably be split between wondering why you never noticed how heavy an XR 650L is and being amazed at how fast 18 (24, 36) MPH really is on the trail.

If you are really worried that you'll be fast and burn a check or two, maybe try what I did in those C Class days between trying to survive and actually being able to keep time. I would make a cheat sheet of TIME=MILES. I would use easily identifiable times and miles and maybe at 10 minute intervals. In the old days I would cover it in plastic and tape it to that nice metal XR tank. That way every so often I could look down and compare my progress with where I should be.

Also, if you come up on a bunch of dudes sitting in the woods along the trail for no particular reason, check there minute. Chances are there is a possible up ahead and their killing time so they don't burn it. If you find all on Minute 33 sitting along the trail and you're on minute 36? Wait until about 3 minutes after they roll and then move out again.

I've never met an enduro rider who was a total jackwagon............sign up, race, make some new friends................and someone will show you how to keep time. It's way easier in practice than it seems when you're reading about it.
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #24
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Hey ReferJohn,
I'm going to do d36 family enduro to open the series as well. I've run a couple reset enduros but never a timekeeper so this will be my first time, too.

I do have a computer, but I'm going to try to do it with a watch for a while until I figure it out. I've read all the various descriptions but the mental math is non obvious to me and I feel like I just need to do it to find out what happens.

Good luck
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #25
ReferJohn OP
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Hey Refer John-
I was talking to my friend who runs all the D36 family enduros, and has ridden and set enduros for a long time. He said a couple things that I'll pass on:

My friend advised against trying the cow mt. enduro on a xr650l. Strongly.
Thanks ZAK for the heads up....However I have ridden
Cow mtn plenty of times on the XR650L- all single track....so many peeps think this bike is HUGE. didn't this same frame win GNCC races, Baja...Jus Sayin. I have been riding big hondas in the tight stuff
for some time.
Hope that helps with a bit of local knowledge. Check out the offroad section in BARF, too, more locals active there. I BARF also, but ADV is where i spend aLOT of time
[QUOTE=robert110411;23244128]

I've been meaning to respond to this for like 4 days now but I've been too busy all day and to tired at night.

If you've never ridden an Enduro the first few your time will probably be split between wondering why you never noticed how heavy an XR 650L is and being amazed at how fast 18 (24, 36) MPH really is on the trail.
YEP, the XR650L is heavy> when you ride slow< I don't, I stand and attack just like my MX days.

Also, if you come up on a bunch of dudes sitting in the woods along the trail for no particular reason, check there minute. Chances are there is a possible up ahead and their killing time so they don't burn it. If you find all on Minute 33 sitting along the trail and you're on minute 36? Wait until about 3 minutes after they roll and then move out again.
Great advice.
I've never met an enduro rider who was a total jackwagon............sign up, race, make some new friends................and someone will show you how to keep time. It's way easier in practice than it seems when you're reading about it.That's kind of what i was thinking [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Hey ReferJohn,
I'm going to do d36 family enduro to open the series as well. I've run a couple reset enduros but never a timekeeper so this will be my first time, too.
Nice, I have my race flyer filled out for the first famliy
enduro, hope to see you in Hollister

I do have a computer, but I'm going to try to do it with a watch for a while until I figure it out. I've read all the various descriptions but the mental math is non obvious to me and I feel like I just need to do it to find out what happens.
My ODO is the stock unit and does not reset up mileage or to the tenths, just resets to 0

Good luck
Roadracer we will keep in touch here as the event gets closer.
I am loving the fact that me a 40 year old with 36 years behind bars, riding whats is considered a out of date,heavy, slow dual sport is going Enduro racing.
I am capable, the bike is capable, Just want to finish.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #26
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I ran cow mountain last year and after a weird crash that pulled the cap off my radiator and spilled all my water plus various other misadventures, houred out around the 70mi mark.

It was wet and sloppy! I can't say how hard it would be on a dry course, but I was impressed with a couple guys motoring right along on xr400s. I wouldn't want to have tried it on an xr650, but best of luck!

There are some videos on youtube, check out the first "special section", that was the most technically challenging as I recall. There were a few other areas that were fresh cut through the mazinitas that were challenging as well. I ran into a couple bottlenecks after I got behind, but I didn't actually find them very hard to get stuck, you just needed plenty of momentum.

Cow mountain is also a restart format enduro and there is no time keeping, so you just go as fast as you can for the special sections and don't need to keep to any averages.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #27
SoKal
Rider

Oddometer: 176
I have not read all the reply’s so if I repeat sorry but here is my .02 ( just general time keeping stuff I only ride SoCal Enduro )

1. Ride on your own minute do not relied on someone to set your pace. Ok idea for someone not sure about enduro’s but you have already committed to it you will learn much faster by making mistakes and learning why you just burned that check. At resets you can still ask guys on the min in frt or behind you questions. But a lot of guys are real nice when things are going good but be careful when they are not.
2. There is a free program on the internet to build your own roll chart from the route sheet supplied by the club a week or so before the event. This will give you a feel for the event maybe it’s a Zen thing building your own roll chart it helped me.
3. The XR may not be the perfect bike but I have seen some guys do just fine with it. There is only one guy to ask if it is the right bike for you and that would be you at the finish line of your second Enduro

Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #28
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,918
I have run a bunch of D37 timekeepers, and after years of desert racing and not giving the enduros a second thought, I couldn't believe how much fun and how challenging they were!

The first year I used a stop watch and put a piece of tape over the hours so all I could see were the min/secs, and a rollchart and stock KTM odo. It took me a couple races to finally get it together, but I started zeroing checks. The problem was, as I got more comfortable I started going faster and it was hard to see the small watch and odo. I coughed up the $ and bought an ICO checkmate, and it's like enduro for dummies. I can see why the old school purists don't care for them. It helped me step up my game, and at the age of 49 I scored one 9th OA and one 10th OA finish as well as winning my class.

And don't forget about tiebreakers! Your head could explode if you try to take it all in at once
Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #29
dakarchef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Go and ride it, have fun and don't over think things. Just concentrate on finishing. At the end of the race see how you did, think about it and see what you have learned. Just concentrate on riding well and keeping a good pace. Make sure you are in some kind of shape and drink lots before and during the race. You are there to have fun ...trophies will come later

Oh yeah, give us a ride report !!!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #30
ThorRex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Time keeping links

http://www.nsenduro.com/forums/index...8dc7&board=7.0 From the A.C.E.S. enduro guys here in Ohio. They're still a timekeeping club I believe. Haven't ridden a timekeeping enduro in a long time, but if it's your first, just enjoy the ride and buddy up with the others on your minute. You'll have a blast.
ThorRex is offline   Reply With Quote