Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
pdg OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Now THAT'S original - K75 G/S (one day)

First off - Hi!

Hopefully I'm in the right place - this 'build' is going to take some time... I plan to mainly keep the bike on the road throughout, doing mods/additions as and when time, finances and space allow. Anticipated completion date is sometime before June (2087).

So...

About a year ago I got offered a 1988 K75S in mint condition (yeah, ok) with very low miles (79k) for 'not much money' - imagine how impressed the wife was when I dragged this home

'tis a thing of beauty!

Well, it's what I have and it was cheap.

A few things happened to/with it - I found out the rear wheel wasn't round or straight, alternator drive ate itself like a masochistic cannibal, fuel and water came out from places it really shouldn't, etc. etc. (more details and/or pics available on request) but hey. It was cheap (did I mention that already?)

Because the rear wheel was so bad, it became an urgent thing so I 'found' an R1100RS wheel on ebay and thought it was worth trying to make it fit - so I fitted a part-worn tyre and bolted it on. Straight on, no messing - that'll do it.

The front end had a lot of sag too (more travel than stock though due to pregressive springs), so I very accurately machined some preload spacers for the forks (cut a lump of rubber up with a knife and stuck it on top of the spring)

As far as G/S-ifying goes, that's about it so far here's how it stands now

Front tyre could be more aggressive, but it's still an upgrade on and off tarmac compared to the hi-max that it came with. The MT90 rear outgrips it though.

I guess the next part is 'future plans'!

The rear shock was nearly knackered when I bought the bike - the other day it decided oil damping is for wimps and it would much prefer to be air damped, so it dumped all it's oil out. Mainly on the rear tyre. Thanks. I need to figure out just how much articulation there is available on the monolever before the UJ starts to bind and then see what I can find/modify to get a bit more height and travel.

The front wheel has a bit of a ding in it, so that needs replacing. I'd like to go up to a 19" and get some decent rubber on there. A 21" would help with height, but the fork brace would then need 'looking at' too. Not impossible, but extra hassle. Proper wire spoke wheels both ends would be ideal, but probably way out of budget.

Crash bars/skid plate need to be made for it. I like the original bodywork and plan to keep as much as I can. Same with the exhaust - it's good, it's solid and I don't see that it will cause me any clearance issues - leaving that stock also means luggage is easier to mount.

Handlebars need changing. Quite apart from the fact that one side is bent, they are so narrow it's like steering with a 'T' handle allen wrench. I already have a set waiting to go on, I reckon I can get away with rerouting the wiring and cables but the brake hose is another matter. Seeing as the hose is marked '1988' it's probably replacement time anyway.

I got the original BMW hard cases with the bike, but every time I need to put something in them I find I have to deform them - like 'she' said, another inch will make all the difference. They also look 'wrong' for the bike I want to end up with. There's another homebrew opportunity then.

There's bound to be much more already on the list that I can't quite find in my head right now, along with even more that I haven't thought about at all yet. Suggestions and comments are welcome - even if the comment happens to be "you haven't got a clue, leave before you hurt yourself".
pdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,012
Suggestion: "Catch" on trailer. Drive and "release" into the wild.

Kidding, have fun, and the GS thing has been done to Bricks before. Search and ye shall find.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
pdg OP
n00b

The title was my very poor attempt at sarcastic humour... The only thing likely to be 'original' about this one is that's it's never been done to this exact frame number in the past.

When all's said and done, I know it's never going to be a singletrack burner. All I'm aiming for is a little more 'confidence' when it leaves the tarmac.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
I know a guy who rode a basically stock K75 around the world. No shit. Had to get a rear shock in the middle of Africa, wound up using a used car shock modified to the proper size until he could get the right part. Amazing stuff. You are good to go the way it is, just ride baby.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Suggestion: "Catch" on trailer. Drive and "release" into the wild.

Kidding, have fun, and the GS thing has been done to Bricks before. Search and ye shall find.
I know you're not posting in order to keep that #666 post count......

Looking forward to the brick going off road
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
pdg OP
n00b

It already does venture off the tarmac - I'll have to take some pics next time... I'm happy with how it does it, there's just a few things that would be 'nice'.

Just got a spare shaft housing so will be looking into moving the shock around soon, I don't like the idea of a single sided bolt into an ally casting holding the bottom of the shock on.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
k 75 gs

Good start,
I think these are really cool there are other builds here or other sites . Your rear shock bolt dilemma, add tab on out side of shock mount for double shear. Do any of the r type parts or ideas crossover ?
luck,ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #8
pdg OP
n00b

Did I mention I'm not the best at updates?

I did have a bit of a look about parts crossover from the R to the K and there's a lot that fits or can be made to fit pretty easily (like the rear wheel I'm already using), but the thing here is parts are expensive and I'm 'frugal' (or 'a tight-arsed git' if you prefer). Mods however are relatively cheap.

Anyway, not a lot happened. I moved the top shock mount to suit the different shock following the original ditching it's oil. I knew it was hardly a novel solution, but to show there's nothing new in the world I just found a thread on here where someone did exactly the same thing... Pics to follow when I get to it.

Another possible future 'thing' is to give my shaft a damn good oiling. To me, an oil bath shaft is more wear resistant than a sporadically greased one but all I got so far is a bunch of people telling me it's a bad idea - makes me want to do it more