Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #31
lazeebum
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I promise you don't want to collect insurance money for a helmet. Progressive really came through for me when I wrecked my concours.
lazeebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #32
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazeebum View Post
I promise you don't want to collect insurance money for a helmet. Progressive really came through for me when I wrecked my concours.
Why is that?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #33
bmwrider1946 OP
Young Old Fart

Oddometer: 43
A follow up

My new 2014 GSW has arrived. I will be picking it up very soon. In addition to the bike I will be buying new boots, helmet and jacket. I still have a bit of discomfort in my left shoulder, but I consider myself very lucky. I figure that is about $1,500 of gear but the dealership I use gives 15% off when buying a new bike so that will save a few bucks. Geico came through with the insurance settlement in a spectacular manner. I can't wait to get back on the bike.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #34
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,020
Glad to hear you are up and running. New bike, new gear....this a good start. Its also good to hear the Insurance did not welch on the settlement....like they usually try to do...personal experience that forms that view

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #35
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I have only come close to hitting animals, deer, beavers, dogs, bears, sheep, cows, moose, elk, bison, horses, a few I'm not sure what they were. These are all incidents on the road requiring some maneuvers but I don't fool myself mostly luck saved me from going down.

For what it is worth

1. You can't predict what an animal will do, especially a stationary animal.
2. Animals can move at incredible speed over any terrain. So large ditches and significant distances from the road are very deceiving as far as your safety is concerned.
3. If there is one, there is often another. If you are driving the same road often, the same animals are often at the same place at the same time of day/year. You can get somewhat good a predicting animal presence but this might get you in more trouble than it helps.
4. Animals are most active just before full sunrise and just before full sunset. However in remote areas with little night traffic they will use the road like it was for them all night.
5. Get the most powerful horn you can fit on your bike and use it frequently.
6. Being behind other bikes, cars or trucks is worse than being first. But people too close behind you can be bad too. Meeting on coming traffic can also get animals in front of you.
7. Get lights that light up the side of the road as far in front of you as possible and get in the habit of scanning both sides of the road and practice slowing down using your horn when you suspect something.
8. Generally slow down but slow down when things don't look or feel right. Limit your speed in known danger situations.
9. Watch for signs of other vehicles interacting with animals. Swerves, slowing, brake lights, trucks often do nothing. Sometimes these signs come from vehicle farther away than you would normally need to take into account 5km+!
10. If you get the chance to brake, don't be braking when you hit the animal, keep time to have the bike straight and vertical, hang on with all your strength and all your limbs. If your not braking just before you hit you still have the last second option of swerving but if you hit while swerving or swerve off the road or into traffic it might be worse than if you had just hit straight on.

mfgc2310 screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 08:49 AM
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #36
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Why is that?
If you collect insurance money it means you had an accident. If you collect money on a helmet it means you hit your head.

I carry full coverage on most "expensive" assets and valuables, including myself and family. I hope I never have to collect on any insurance policy.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #37
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
boots

I'm looking for new boots, Sidi boots. You said your boots were 5 years old. What type of Sidi boots did you wear? Although, I where boots, they won't hold up to a crash as your have.

So, I'm looking. Sidi Crossfires will hold up, I'm sure. You mentioned yours wore to the toes.

If you wore cowboy boots, no telling what would of happened.

I ride a 650 V-Strom, I commute mostly, and I'm looking forward to taking longer trips. Right now, I don't ride much off rode. And I'm glad your OK.[
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #38
bmwrider1946 OP
Young Old Fart

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
I'm looking for new boots, Sidi boots. You said your boots were 5 years old. What type of Sidi boots did you wear? Although, I where boots, they won't hold up to a crash as your have.

So, I'm looking. Sidi Crossfires will hold up, I'm sure. You mentioned yours wore to the toes.

If you wore cowboy boots, no telling what would of happened.

I ride a 650 V-Strom, I commute mostly, and I'm looking forward to taking longer trips. Right now, I don't ride much off rode. And I'm glad your OK.[

The exact boot is no longer available but the equivalent is the SIDI tour with Gore-Tex liner. I bought them in 2008 when I did a 15,000 mile ride on my RT. I will likely replace them with the same boot as most of my riding is on road. There is a SIDI on road Gore-Tex boot that I might also consider. The crossfires are a great boot but probably a little more than I need for my type of riding.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #39
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Boots

Thanks for your quick response, but, will the boots you mentioned, or any BOOT, for that matter, hold up and give much better protection.

Some riders are willing to go more with Sidi crossover boots, for the added protection. I really value your opinion, since your experience. I'm looking to buy real soon.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #40
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Glad to hear you are ok!

I often think about this scenario while riding around the state. There has been many times I've been cruising at 70mph in the panhandle with nothing but pine trees surrounding me for hours. Hopefully the day never comes, but if it does, I hope I make out as well as you did!

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #41
Ayedoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider1946 View Post
My new 2014 GSW has arrived. I will be picking it up very soon. In addition to the bike I will be buying new boots, helmet and jacket. I still have a bit of discomfort in my left shoulder, but I consider myself very lucky. I figure that is about $1,500 of gear but the dealership I use gives 15% off when buying a new bike so that will save a few bucks. Geico came through with the insurance settlement in a spectacular manner. I can't wait to get back on the bike.
Which Klim models were you wearing? I am considering Klim now and wondering if the models I'm considering would hold up as well as yours did. Your experience is a pretty strong endorsement.
Ayedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #42
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedoc View Post
Which Klim models were you wearing? I am considering Klim now and wondering if the models I'm considering would hold up as well as yours did. Your experience is a pretty strong endorsement.
I had the same question. I already have Klim gear, I just like to justify my purchases!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #43
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 290
You go 50 years most guys would figure they are blessed and gonna remain safe. Just goes to show...can happen to anyone. ATGATT.
NERVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #44
dirtdobber1959
dirtdobber1959

Oddometer: 8
I remember when they were fighting to change the helmet law in Indiana , some riders said they couldn't feel free with a helmet on there head. They wanted to feel the wind in there hair. The wind probably doesn't mess up your hair like the blacktop does. A dew rag doesn't offer much protection when you are sliding down the road. Glad you are OK.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #45
jjxlrider
Part time adult

Oddometer: 938
Good gear will always be worth it. I have a good chunk of the stuff and buying more as I can. Sadly 95% of the people I talk to around here look at my gear as stupid and ridiculous looking. Bluejeans and t-shirts with tennis shoes are required to "fit in with the cool people". I don't give a shit what they think, I'll continue wearing the gear.

I have Thor 50/50 boots for street riding and commuting. They are shorter than my full mx boots but do have decent ankle protection, just not as much plus shin/calf protection. Nice for walking in. A set of Sidi's or equivalent are on my short list , need a good full mx boot to replace my 8-9 year old set. Leather gloves with hard armor on the back is great protection also.

I t-boned a big tomcat once on a dirtbike going about 50 down the gravel road but the suspension soaked it up so it wasn't a bad hit, wouldn't want anything much bigger to try that with.

'08 525XC , --> '06 LTR450. looking for '96 thru '05 DR650
jjxlrider is offline   Reply With Quote