Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
sboada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
In the same boat. Let me know if you here anything.

Also looking to ride a Ktm adv and couldn't find any companies that rent them
Ktm-Tours.net didn't work for me.
sboada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #17
G B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Biking Viking http://www.bikingviking.is/ have many bikes that they rent
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #18
ebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I've never rented in Iceland (or been there), but it's something I'd like to do.

Although the currency is weaker than before, I'd imagine it's expensive because they have to import things (incl. fuel & bikes), and that would be expensive on their currency.
ebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #19
finbarr
Would be adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Off-road riding in Iceland...

Hi there - I'm looking to go to Iceland in the summer with a friend and we'd like to do some serious off-roading.
Most of the rental companies I've seen mentioned here only have touring and soft-road bikes with multi purpose tyres. I saw Blue Mountain Tours http://www.bluemountain.is/rental/ who offer KTMs, but looking at the front page of their site, it looks like they may have gone out of business.

Anyone know of a current company doing more than just gentle putting around on big heavy bikes?

Kind regards,
Fin.
finbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
mangeldbug
YSRacer

Oddometer: 7
I was just in Reykjavik for work and it was fantastic. Due to not a lot of time to get out into the wilderness, I just took a guided bus tour to see the Blue Lagoon, geysirs, waterfalls, the mid-atlantic rift, and the glacier, and was just in the city the rest of the time. I would LOVE to get back and do a tour all around the island on a bike! The landscape is simply amazing. I found this thread and thought I would update the available moto rental places available in Reykjavik. Blue Mountain Tours seems to have gone out of business.

These are all for self-guided tours, but some offer organized tours too.
Biking Viking and Riding Iceland merged into one company: http://www.ridingiceland.is/
2 Wheel Travel (has dual sports!): http://www.2wheeltravel.com/Motorcyc...and%20Hire.htm
AdMo-Tours (only BMW or Triumph available, no prices listed): http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/eur...nd_rental.html
I found some other places that also seem to no longer be in business. KTM-tours being one of them. I guess the economy is having less people do these sorts of tours.
For those with money to burn, this guided tour looks fantastic!! https://www.motoquesttours.com/guide...e-adventure-39

Getting to Reykjavik from Keflavik international airport (about 40km from Reykjavik): there are two shuttle services available, and you can buy a ticket right at the airport- FlyBus and Airport Express for ~$15 one way. Airport Express is slightly cheaper than FlyBus, and both are much much cheaper than the airport transfer prices advertised from the motorcycle rental companies. Riding Iceland wanted 95EU each way and 2WheelTravel wanted 45EU!! You can also get a ticket that will take you to the Blue Lagoon first and then to Reykjavik. (I did this on the way home. Reykjavik to Blue Lagoon in the morning, and then to the airport since I was flying out at 4pm.) The shuttle will drop you at any hotel in Reykjavik, or if you wanted to go to the rental place first I suppose you can find out what hotels are close by or just get dropped off in City Central. Reykjavik may be the largest city in Iceland, but it is very small and very walkable.

One last thing - Iceland is expensive! If you want to explore Reykjavik for a day, get the Welcome Card. It gets you free access to all the museums and thermal pools, unlimited travel on buses, free internet at internet cafes, and discounts at some shops and restaurants too. While there I stayed in the Reykjavik Downtown Hostel in which I had a private room with private bathroom for $200 for a week. Cost would have been cheaper for a shared dorm-style room and shared bathroom, but the difference in price wasn't horrible. Budget hotels could easily cost $100-200 a night, more in summer (June - August). I like www.hostelbookers.com and have used them many times for many different countries, and they have never steered me wrong. There is also www.airbnb.com where you can rent an entire home, apartment, a private room, or even a couch to crash on in someone's house, but Ive never used them. Food is also pricey, so they say to budget $120/day per person. If you stay in a place with a kitchen, the cheapest option is definitely to buy some stuff at a local grocery (Bonus has many locations and is inexpensive). Most hostels have guest kitchens.
1987 Yamaha YSR 50 #116 Racebike
Gone: '81 Honda CB400T, '98 Kawi KLR250

mangeldbug screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 12:45 PM
mangeldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #21
eejespersen
n00b

Oddometer: 8
For the prices you mention, I'd consider shipping the bike to Iceland. Or simply take the ferry.

Don't know the politics on advertising, but I don't work for any of these companies.

www.eimskip.is
www.samskip.is
www.smyril-line.fo (this is the ferry)

When driving in Iceland, I found it convenient to buy a map from the tourist-info, where all the hot springs are marked on. And later I learned that a thermometer is handy. There's also some sort of card you buy, which makes the camping cheaper. If camping more that 10 sites, the card has payed it self.

If you see a triangular sign which you've never seen before, underlined with the text "MALBIK ENDAR" you should slow down. In fact, every triangular sign should be taken serious. The Icelandic's are very practical people, ad they never put up signs with no use.
Another sign which looks like a normal two track road with a thick line in the middle means that the asphalt guys have cut corners, and have only put tarmac on the middle of the two tracks. The idea is that cars will always have two wheels on tarmac, and don't need to slow down when passing.

When driving in fog patches, it could be handy to have a switch installed on your bike, to have your brake lights on constantly.

Tickets are paid on the spot, which results in a discount. Police, cub scouts, prostitutes and embezzlers all accept creditcards. If the price is under (i think it was) 3000 ISK they don't bother with signatures and PIN-codes.
eejespersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,169
US or Canada Ferry Service

The more I see and read about Iceland the more I absolutely have to see it.

Does anyone know about a ferry service from the US or Canada to the Island? I have searched the web but no luck.

I want to ride the island and wander/camp but the bike rental rates with their $2500US deductible seems very steep. Considering almost any bike is going to get "some" damage riding gravel roads on a long trip it seems like a scam. I would love to ferry mine there and spend the $2500 actually having fun.

kag screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 09:35 AM
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
shoobear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
any updates on iceland info?
looking to do a ride there also.....
shoobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,331
Any updates on getting from North America to Iceland with your own moto? I would like to explore Iceland some day.

Anyone have any trips planned?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #25
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
... Anyone have any trips planned?...
Two of us heading to Iceland from the UK via Denmark in August.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #26
Icelandic Dreamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
transport from US to Iceland

there are no ferries from US to Iceland but you should be able to ship it with a shipping company or the airlines. check f.e. www.eimskip.is www.jonar.is or www.icelandair.is for info.

The only ferry to Iceland goes from Denmark via Faroe Island www. smyrilline.com

If you go I recommend going in july, august or early september. July is best, a lot of midnight sun. Going earlier will limit you to the coastal roads as the roads inland are mostly dirt roads and many do not usually open until late June.
Yamaha WR450F supermotard 2004
3xKTMs and 3xSuzukis (sold)
Icelandic Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #27
bubbi
bubbi

Oddometer: 5
Enduro Adventure in Iceland

Stumbled across this thread and just wanted to let you know that I have actually started a new company that specializes in Enduro tours since there has been a shortage of these kinds of service here in Iceland.
If you are interested please visit our website http://enduroadventure.is ...not that I am promoting my new company (did I mention it is NEW? ;) )... just talking about it here
bubbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #28
finbarr
Would be adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbi View Post
Stumbled across this thread and just wanted to let you know that I have actually started a new company that specializes in Enduro tours since there has been a shortage of these kinds of service here in Iceland.
If you are interested please visit our website http://enduroadventure.is ...not that I am promoting my new company (did I mention it is NEW? ;) )... just talking about it here
Hi Bubbi - this is great news!
I'm sending you an email now...

Best of luck with your new venture - I'm sure it will be very successful.