Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Me neither. I thought Colombian drivers were a lot more... uh... spirited. I had a lot more close calls in Colombia than anywhere else.
They musta done half time change sides, the Peruvians make the Beijing stunt drivers look like pussies, we have had more close calls here including our bark buster hitting a mirror ON OUR SIDE next to the gutter.

Bearing in mind we are very much off the main drag too which is worse.

The drivers pull out and come head on to us while all the time seeing us, no dispute, we have rigid industries LEDS looking straight at them and they continue, I own our presence riding in the left hand wheel track of our lane but it does not stop them and we have to dive off the road, now I have a tin of rocks ready to biff through there screen.

Such thing as driving aggressively which I like beacuse you know what they are doing but driving like a complete fucktard at others expensive ....no.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #17
norschweger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I am not sure if there is any better or worse. It is not about comparing, dissing, being right or wrong...if I felt several times that I was in severe danger and have the desire to share this with all of you in order to make those aware who have not been here (recently) and maybe think about it, it is not to scare anyone but only to inform. Then it is upon each and everyone what he/she does with this info.
Ride safe folks!
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #18
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,006
I enjoyed Colombia. Ecuador, though- holy shit! I couldn't understand how these super nice people were such horrible assholes behind the wheel.

And then, Peru.

Somewhere I have a photo of an upside down bus. On the road from Nasca to Cusco. The bus went over a cliff and everyone died. Like 30 people. The driver and probably all the passengers were drunk. When I came upon it, a month after it happened, and the bus was still there, still upside down, there were people building a memorial, and they were also drunk. So drunk they could hardly stand, which explains why some of those memorials list.

Even sometimes the cops were drunk.

I still don't know why they kept trying to run me off the road. Why couldn't people drive on their own side of the road. Why did they have to tailgate, but never pass.

And what am I doing now? I'm wishing I could do it again.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #19
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I enjoyed Colombia. Ecuador, though- holy shit! I couldn't understand how these super nice people were such horrible assholes behind the wheel.
We had this exact discussion nearly word for word yesterday

We were stopped at a landslide for 2 hours, the white Toyota stopped behind us, everyone hopped out, photos , handshakes, buenvinedos a Peru good times and fascination.

The slip was opened and the driver promptly pushed us out of the way cutting us off and nearly running us off the side while flashing his lights and tooting his horn????!!!! WTF .... is this the same man?? weird.

As a Kiwi I really struggle with that.

Quote:
And what am I doing now? I'm wishing I could do it again.
And we are IN IT so I am very mindful of enjoying it and making sure we maintain a level of awareness to keep enjoying it, you have to have eyes in the bottom and top of your head too.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,936
The thing to remember with this stuff is our own anecdotal experience doesn't necessarily reflect the overall population. But that doesn't mean much when someone's trying to run you off the road no matter where you are. I don't recall anything out of the ordinary (ordinary for LA) in Peru, I do remember Vinnie telling me about the guy on the XR and that kept me on my toes for a while since I was traveling in the same area when it happened. And I agree with what others have said about India, the TaTa drivers in the Indian Himalayas were much more unforgiving than the truck drivers in Peru in "my" experience.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #21
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
The thing to remember with this stuff is our own anecdotal experience doesn't necessarily reflect the overall population. But that doesn't mean much when someone's trying to run you off the road no matter where you are. I don't recall anything out of the ordinary (ordinary for LA) in Peru, I do remember Vinnie telling me about the guy on the XR and that kept me on my toes for a while since I was traveling in the same area when it happened. And I agree with what others have said about India, the TaTa drivers in the Indian Himalayas were much more unforgiving than the truck drivers in Peru in "my" experience.
What's a TT driver? I'm going to India next week and to keep things interesting, I have done about ZERO research. I lurk in the Latin America forum, and even here I keep reading about how horrible India is. Mark mentioned India as the worst just a few days ago. ps: I'm not taking my motorcycle, I'm renting a car.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,936
Quote:
What's a TT driver? I'm going to India next week and to keep things interesting, I have done about ZERO research. I lurk in the Latin America forum, and even here I keep reading about how horrible India is. Mark mentioned India as the worst just a few days ago. ps: I'm not taking my motorcycle, I'm renting a car.
These are TATA trucks. And they think they're coming back in a higher caste when they take a gringo on a bike over the cliff with them.

India is awesome by the way. Make sure you drive your car in Delhi, everyone should get to experience Delhi traffic in their life.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #23
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
These are TATA trucks. And they think they're coming back in a higher caste when they take a gringo on a bike over the cliff with them.

India is awesome by the way. Make sure you drive your car in Delhi, everyone should get to experience Delhi traffic in their life.
In Panama, as Barb and I were getting there, after I left Barb in Costa Rica for a couple of days while I did my crazy shit in the mud on the Atlantic, Barb, as she was crossing the Costa Rica Panama border, met an old guy- and I mean and OLD guy, on a fucking moped, with a pair of crutches and a suitcase strapped to it. He was Simon G-something and he's fucking crazy.

I've been following his adventure in India and he's been posting pics of these trucks tipped over and smashed. I just didn't know what they were called. Thanks.

And yes, I'll drive in New Delhi.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #24
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Slow Drive - Long Life

TATA. Like I mentioned before, its never safe to drive in a country where they believe in reincarnation.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #25
atadold
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb

It was obvious within the first ten minutes in Peru that they had a different slant on driving . Be careful on the ride to Huanuco as the sealed road is only one lane wide and everyone wants it . Hundreds of blind corners ,pigs,goats ,kids ,lots of big drop off's . God I loved it though, one of my favourite rides in Peru. Ride safe
atadold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #26
marksgone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
After 3 months in Ecuador and 5 in Peru I realized: In Ecuador they don't mind if they kill you, in Peru, they try! They are nice people just selfish, inconsiderate road users. Ride accordingly I reckon!
marksgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #27
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
For me, Bolivia, specially crossing La Paz from the south to get to Coroico at rush hour was one of the most stressful riding I've ever done.

Drivers have no respect whatsoever, they just stop/turn wherever they want, when they want and pedestrians have no sense of self preservation, it was chaotic.

Like the Ford truck in the pic.. I was just minding my own bussiness,(speed is in km/h) and driver decided that he had the right of way, and that I should stop...

I was lucky the other lane was free so I swerved and avoided it.. braking would've been useless.

Peru felt a little more safe, or at least a little more "in tune" with what I'm used to.

I'm from Argentina, so I'm used to some reckless driving, but major cities in Bolivia ( La Paz, Oruro, Santa Cruz, etc.) were just too much.

Mozambique was interesting too, but that's for another forum

jabroka screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 09:09 AM
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,258
Al the owner of the Shamrock pub in Medellin told me that South America as a whole has a mileage death rate 4 times the USA.

And that Peru has a mileage death rate 5 times the rest of South America.

While driving through the Andes in Peru, if you saw a big rig not taking up your side of the road, you were momentarily grateful.

I say momentarily because frequently a bus or car driver decided to pass said big rig on the outside of a blind turn heading straight at you with a 1000' cliff to the side.

Here's a shot heading into Lima where the drivers turned a 3 lane highway into 5 lanes

A video leaving Lima (I think) but for sure in Peru

I didn't embed it correctly but it still works.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 AM   #29
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
For me Medillin was the most awful....and I can ride like a real dick........but cripes.....it was just insane

bumping elbows with buses and Hi Lux.s is not my idea of a good time.

Surprisingly laying on the horn a lot DOES seem to help.......
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #30
bananaman
transcontimental

I'm in India. You guys are right. There is no comparison. Interestingly, in the first two days I have not yet seen a traffic cop or an accident, even though the driving is beyond insane.