ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #361
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Nah, Sig just started to dip into the science behind pot chemistry and effects. I tried to do that earlier but most of the pot users ignored it. I thought I would just point out what long timers say about the immediate relaxation and apparent slowdown of riding actions, but that eventually the effect of MJ became a downfall and how they finally got it and refused to ride after smoking. I hope the same doesn't happen to you.
Doc, do you get that we understand that there are cases where it is abused, as most other drugs and alcohol, but the average person posting here is probably more like the have a puff after a long work day, or a hit while riding, not sucking down 3 foot bongs all the time and being unproductive? There are different levels of users and abusers and it affects people differently. I am glad that we have a choice at least. I think everyone here that uses knows that sure it isn't healthy, but neither is a daily beer, even MGD. Neither is fried food, processed food, dirt bikes, etc. We know this, and yet enjoy our indulgences. Why does it seem like you are trying to come across as some DARE mom? Yes, there are cases where people have had issues, but there are lots of people who get by just fine as occasional recreational users, and plenty that hold very high profile jobs.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #362
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Doc, do you get that we understand that there are cases where it is abused, as most other drugs and alcohol, but the average person posting here is probably more like the have a puff after a long work day, or a hit while riding, not sucking down 3 foot bongs all the time and being unproductive? There are different levels of users and abusers and it affects people differently. I am glad that we have a choice at least. I think everyone here that uses knows that sure it isn't healthy, but neither is a daily beer, even MGD. Neither is fried food, processed food, dirt bikes, etc. We know this, and yet enjoy our indulgences. Why does it seem like you are trying to come across as some DARE mom? Yes, there are cases where people have had issues, but there are lots of people who get by just fine as occasional recreational users, and plenty that hold very high profile jobs.
Yes, I get it. I couldn't give a crap about whether you use and ride and use and not ride. You can kid yourself that you ride better, play better, yada yada, but it is our kids that I care about, and there is a great rise in teen use of MJ and leading to other drug experiments. You could argue that legalization will help people who need it for pain, etc., but the bottom line is that many more young people will get into drug use. Here is the data from NIH concerning expansion of youth involvement with MJ
from 1993 to 2008:
Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #363
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Yes, I get it. I couldn't give a crap about whether you use and ride and use and not ride. You can kid yourself that you ride better, play better, yada yada, but it is our kids that I care about, and there is a great rise in teen use of MJ and leading to other drug experiments. You could argue that legalization will help people who need it for pain, etc., but the bottom line is that many more young people will get into drug use. Here is the data from NIH concerning expansion of youth involvement with MJ
from 1993 to 2008:
interesting. What was the demographic? How many involved, all across the nation I assume? I am not trying to be combative, necessarily, and only really know the most about what I have personally done and experienced. I know more friends drank than smoked in middle school/ high school and turned out okay. I also wonder how many people actually answer these questions honestly. I think there will be an increase in use, and probably in about 10 years, it will be back to about the same levels as alcohol because the newness will have worn off. Also, your graph seems to alarm me about old people and their drinking more than anything. Can you get them in control?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #364
arroyo
??????????????????

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
from 1993 to 2008:
FWIW, there is nothing on that graph to support the concept of 'expanding youth involvement' between 1993 and 2008. For that statement to be correct, the graph would need to include data by age bracket from earlier time periods, i.e. 1978-1993 vs. 1993-2008, etc...

COHVCO | Stay The Trail | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
arroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #365
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,546
...and there's no discussion of the increased propensity of young people to self-disclose. It's hard to measure if the actual use rate has gone up, or just the nerve to talk about it.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #366
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyo View Post
FWIW, there is nothing on that graph to support the concept of 'expanding youth involvement' between 1993 and 2008. For that statement to be correct, the graph would need to include data by age bracket from earlier time periods, i.e. 1978-1993 vs. 1993-2008, etc...
The NIH sourced article states that MJ use doubled during the 1993-2008 period reflected in the plot. Here is the article and there are many references that are excellent as well
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...65-ascp-04-1-4

And you should read the comments with the article from doctors who treat young people seriously involved with MJ.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797100/

This is the best data set available and I don't think earlier decades have been studied as such.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #367
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
...and there's no discussion of the increased propensity of young people to self-disclose. It's hard to measure if the actual use rate has gone up, or just the nerve to talk about it.
Yeah it must be the pride kids have in smoking pot now, right? Do your kids brag about it?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #368
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,546
Quote:
Yeah it must be the pride kids have in smoking pot now, right? Do your kids brag about it?
Bringing family into it, now? Classy.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #369
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,668
Quote:
The self righteous are shameless.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #370
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
?

HOW ABOUT THOSE BRONCOS !!!!!!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #371
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Generations of teenagers and young adults alike have been smoking pot for decades. Many of them are now middle aged and retirement age, and some are still recreating with marijuana. Some are posting on ADVRider, undoubtedly. Can you point to anything we should be worried about with these people? Will the worries be anything significant, anything that isn't fear-based? Should I avoid white bread? I rent in Denver in an older building so I had to sign a lead acknowledgment with the lease...I guess I shouldn't eat the paint off my walls.

If you cared about the children, doc, you'd be showing us graphs of the number of children displaced with parents imprisoned for non-violent minor drug offenses. The vast majority of them have been charged with simple possession of small amounts of marijuana, if not repeated offenses of the same (which is no worse a crime to me than a one-time affair because 3 non-crimes don't make a crime). And what about the children displaced, traumatized, harmed, and even killed by the larger War on Drugs?
What about the number of children and teenagers traumatized, harmed or killed each year in alcohol related incidents?
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #372
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
The "caring for the children" narrative

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/ny...anted=all&_r=0
http://www.kxan.com/news/two-year-ol...in-foster-care
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #373
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Yeah, its about family. That what our kids are, right.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #374
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
Generations of teenagers and young adults alike have been smoking pot for decades. Many of them are now middle aged and retirement age, and some are still recreating with marijuana. Some are posting on ADVRider, undoubtedly. Can you point to anything we should be worried about with these people? Will the worries be anything significant, anything that isn't fear-based? Should I avoid white bread? I rent in Denver in an older building so I had to sign a lead acknowledgment with the lease...I guess I shouldn't eat the paint off my walls.

If you cared about the children, doc, you'd be showing us graphs of the number of children displaced with parents imprisoned for non-violent minor drug offenses. The vast majority of them have been charged with simple possession of small amounts of marijuana, if not repeated offenses of the same (which is no worse a crime to me than a one-time affair because 3 non-crimes don't make a crime). And what about the children displaced, traumatized, harmed, and even killed by the larger War on Drugs?
What about the number of children and teenagers traumatized, harmed or killed each year in alcohol related incidents?
Now that is an intelligent response. The War on Drugs has been often misguided toward individuals who have been severely punished for only personal use, whatever it is. Suppliers should have been nabbed and prosecuted, but when police forces get involved there are lots of overeager, erroneous actions. I guess I have nothing else to add except that I think the legalization and pot shops in Colorado will lead to many new cases of drug problems with our young people. If you have children, please steer them away from MJ and other drugs, including misuse of alcohol. That is all, pull for those Broncos tomorrow (and the Seahawks of course).
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #375
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,106
Quote:
Wow, you have really been doing research yourself. You don't want to talk to rats, then don't. And apparently you don't want to read science either, which is always complex and confusing to many. So why don't you talk to Andy Mullins and others who have a world of experience riding dirt bikes in MX and other venues. He is now a great mechanic in Marietta, GA and here is what he had to say a few years ago when he was more active about dope and riding:

By Andy Mullins
6/12/00

"Back a few years ago I would partake of a little smoke occasionally (OK alot
but who's counting). When I rode I could ride like a pro. I lost all fear
and could fly. Until the day I got a little too wild and started trick jumping. Landed a no footer or two, got a little whippage going on. Then I decided to try a nac-nac (this was when JMG was doing them). Foot hangs on the seat and I land one footed messing up my knee and shoulder. My opinion is don't smoke pot!!! It about killed me on a motorcycle and almost killed me with an asthma attack. I haven't smoked pot in 2 1/2 years now and never regret quiting. I still partake of the Lord's good brew but never before or during riding"
--
Andy Mullins
(from the link I posted above where he is one of several that have this view)

And here is another example of a mature rider who knows the scoop from dirtrider.com

Antoloco October 2009
Ok guys I'm an American expate living in Ireland now and dirt bikes have become my life. In Northern California where I grew up big wave surfing was my obsession since I was 14 and I did it (stoned a lot of the time) for 14 years straight. As a musician as well I fell in the trap of needing weed to perform and this crossed over into surfing and riding as well. I know what it's like to feel that it can put you in the "zone" but in the long run your reflexes will be slowed and you will have a big crash I guarantee you. I started out trying to ride high thinking that it helped me to flo and all that *** till I hit a big jump wrong and landed hard on my ass from about 10 feet in the air. Luckily I was fine but that was the last time I smoked that ***. I am now off of it nearly 2 years and I feel great and ride better than I ever have - IF YOU WANT AN EDGE GO AND TRAIN HARD - THAT IS WHAT MAKES YOU RIDE BETTER. WEED IS THE LAZY WAY OUT JUST MAKES YOU A WASTER AND ROTS YOUR BRAIN - I SMOKED IT FOR 15 YEARS AND I KNOW. Remember that we can justify anything but the truth remains unchangeable. But some people will only learn the hard way - I know cuz I'm one of 'em ;)
He quit pot and became a great mechanic? I would have expected brain surgeon. The problem was't the pot, it was an addiction to Big Air. I remember telling Andy to just say NO to big air. I even offered to let him pull my finger if he wanted big air.

Quote:
Nothing I would like better, but I am sure I would be in the tail end. I don't get the chance anymore to improve my rather poor riding skills and now that I am a permanent Washington State resident I won't be doing much training in Colorado in the future. But would like to hear a report if enduro-ince was high on pot when he did the 4x at 5MOH. Maybe that would convince me to partake myself.
Doc, E-I came out and you still sound anything but "convinced". Seems to me that you are digging in even harder. You are almost repeating the same arguments that have been around for 150 years. Failed arguments.

HellSickle screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 10:48 PM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote