Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #511
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 189
Thumb Hevy and Sean

Kedgi, my son and I followed you thru SA, the Great Lakes, read the Translabs.. and now your current ride. I don't know you personally ( we'll maybe a bit thru your writing :) ) but I do know that you are intimately connected to the experience of motorcycle travel and what it gives you. I'm confident you will get this current situation resolved and travel on. It's a big part of what you're about.
I've backpacked for over 35 years, been in stupid difficult situations...... in ridiculous places, and always go back for more. There's no stopping! It will be a happy moment when I hear about what your resolution will be. After all you have been thru, I really don't think this will be the straw that breaks your back...Cheers dude, get 'er done.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #512
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb

It's all good Kedgi and Bud hook up tomorrow

Does anybody know where Banderos is....

just kidding I'll find it

db
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #513
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
Kedgi, my son and I followed you thru SA, the Great Lakes, read the Translabs.. and now your current ride. I don't know you personally ( we'll maybe a bit thru y our writing :) ) but I do know that you are intimately connected to the experience of motorcycle travel and what it gives you. I'm confident you will get this current situation resolved and travel on. It's a big part of what you're about.
I've backpacked for over 35 years, been in stupid difficult situations...... in ridiculous places, and always go back for more. There's no stopping! It will be a happy moment when I hear about what your resolution will be. After all you have been thru, I really don't think this will be the straw that breaks your back...Cheers dude, get 'er done.
I am a wild, wacked out retired Air Traffic Controller. sometimes when I VENT ignore me. It has worked well for Angele for 17 years

Kedgi
Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #514
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Just dump the KTM, you lost all confidence in the brand and i see no possible way to regain it. Sorry your trip has to go bad due to some stupid fuel filters....
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
Holy crap, remind me never to say anything bad about a KTM on OC. I have never seen a thread take off so fast, that was nuts.

Dwight, I hope you get fixed up and back on the road soon and salvage some of the winter. Why don't you head out to the SW, New Mexico, Arizona for awhile?

Here are my thoughts on KTM. They started out as dirt bikes only, and still their main focus is dirt bikes, which require a lot of maintenance. So I think the company culture and the culture of those that ride them, wrench on them a lot. I'd say most KTM dirt bikes never see a dealer once they are sold. The 990 is basically a big dirt bike that was initially designed to win Paris Dakar. KTM didn't know what to do with the design once twins were banned, so....let's make it an adventure bike.

Still it doesn't excuse the poor service from KTM or the KTM dealers. 4 days to get fuel filters to a dealer? I can order stuff online from the US and get it to Canada quicker than that.

Hang in there buddy.
Glad to see someone that understands it. It's not a jump-on-and-just-ride-it bike it needs some attention but you get something in return.

The opening post was a rather unpleasant rant about stranding with clogged fuel filters that could not be replaced in a parking lot, because it was to complicated. (and he had no on him, that's bad planning with a 990)
Don't buy a adv990 when you can't even replace fuel filters, they are a culprit on that bike. And a little homework about the bike would have warned him for it.
In the end, his dealers and dealer support sucked ass, that's why he broke down 3 more times and he had to wait for a stupid part.
Thus, you can't blame him for being mad at the brand for not delivering the experience or the service he payed for and expected to get. It was the wrong bike for the wrong person and i hope he can get the right tool for his kind of job in the future.
We all look for that kind of machinery that makes us smile and enjoy every minute on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabinoid View Post
KTM's is the dirt harley boys. How DARE you say anything against the coolest riders ever. I say fuck em all. Yes, fuck all you KTM snob mother fuckers, same as the harley pieces of shit. They should make a KTM shaped like a giant erection so everyone knows you are a super dick when you ride by.

Is that negative enough? Cliques suck, and KTM, like Harley, has a shitload of barely edumicated fucks feeling better than others from a possession. Macho imagery hiding behind small dicks...well done!
Time to light one up, Francis.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 12:42 AM
Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #515
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
If you can't put an external filter on the 990 then you are stuck with doing more maintenance on these filters and possibly carrying a spare set. I've read where there is a back flush kit for this particular bike and also that some owners just take the filter & pump out of the tanks and wash them off with gas. Making this part of their periodic or annual maintenance depending on mileage.

The culprit is the very fine 12 micron screens, they plug up easily and with the modern fuel injectors you can't run anything coarser or they will plug up.

CRAP!. What kind of brilliant engineer thinking puts a feul filter which is supposed to be,by definition, easily servicable to prevent stalled engines INSIDE a feul tank and so makes the cleaning/replacement into a difficult, tedious and costly procedure ?
Is it somebody who was let go by BMW for designing their crappy feul level sensing system in the GS1200 series ?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #516
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
CRAP!. What kind of brilliant engineer thinking puts a feul filter which is supposed to be,by definition, easily servicable to prevent stalled engines INSIDE a feul tank and so makes the cleaning/replacement into a difficult, tedious and costly procedure ?
Is it somebody who was let go by BMW for designing their crappy feul level sensing system in the GS1200 series ?
BMW uses those same crappy little filter socks. They too, require removal of the fuel tank, at least on my R1150R. Fortunately I've only had to replace the pump once at which time I replaced the sock.These engineers are cousins of the same guys that design German electrical systems. Idiots, all !
Old 01-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #517
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
One can debate whether it's costly. Clearly it is if you rely on a dealer. Noone (not even the cool-aid drinkers of Orange Crush ) would claim it's a durable design that focuses on ease of replacement. Same as the waterpump. Same as (to a lesser extent) the old 950 fuel pump. These issues are so well know that owners who love everything else about the bike (as few bikes do what the 950/990 does as well) just accept it and adapt as necessary. I always presumed the people who didn't accept it, didn't buy the bike. Has this cost KTM buyers, I know it has, I see lots of people saying they loved the bike buy stayed away because of these known weaknesses. These weaknesses are such that the 990 is not a bike I've ever recommend someone take on a trip outside 1st world countries if they are totally reliant on a dealer, and I guess this thread shows that it's not that great even if you have easy access to a dealer network.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #518
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
CRAP!. What kind of brilliant engineer thinking puts a feul filter which is supposed to be,by definition, easily servicable to prevent stalled engines INSIDE a fuel tank and so makes the cleaning/replacement into a difficult, tedious and costly procedure ?
Honda did the same thing with their ST1300 and it also comes with a $500 bill to change the fuel filter.

Kedgi - hang in there. Sometimes adventures are more down than up.

/lurk
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
Old 01-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #519
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,069
Modern automobiles have fuel injection and pumps/filters located inside fuel tanks, yet they seem to be pretty reliable. Wonder why ?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #520
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Food for thought!

Since all FI systems are computer controlled, wouldn't it be nice to have a back flush function every so often just to unclog the filters. I just had to open my FI pump on a Honda Fourtrax 420 with low milage just because it started quitting at high RPM's. When I opened it up the filter that supposed to look white it was black like charcoal. That is what happens when you fuel at remote locations. Down here in Mexico we don't have ethanol fuel.

Felipe
Old 01-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #521
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,974
All your problems with the 990 has just reinforced that my decision to dump my 950 was a good one. I loved that bike but it was a maintenance nightmare. Last winter three of us headed to Baja for a two week trip, two 950's and a DR650. Both 950s had fairly major problems that well could have left us stranded in the middle of nowhere. The DR had no issues what so ever. I returned home and started shopping for a 950 replacement. A buddy suggested an old BMW airhead so I picked up a '92 R100GS. It's a piece of cake to work on and I can put both feet on the ground when stopped. Shortly after getting it, I texted my buddy that I had just lowered the carb needles one notch, in the Wal-Mart parking lot, with the stock tool kit, fifteen minutes start to finish. The same job on the 950 took four hours . The airhead's performance isn't even close to being in the same league as the 950 but reliability and ease of maintenance take precedent in an adventure bike. Besides, the old airhead will have no problems running on Baja barrel gas .

Dave
Old 01-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #522
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 420
Kedgi,

Sorry to hear of your woes, I to followed "Lobsters to Lammas" last year and enjoyed it very much. I liked your raw reporting style, when you were upset you didn't hide it and that really gave the report an air of realness that some other reports lack. I will say that when I saw this thread pop up my first thought was "He's going back to South America? but he hated the food!" . Anyway I agree with tricepilot when he wrote about moving on from the ranting, at some point it will distance your audience from yourself and your issue as all they will see is the ranting. Just my lousy opinion and I have no input on what you should do to move on from this, I just think it would resonate better if you could somehow.

By the way I plan on heading to South America next year once I retire and I may have chosen a bike with even less support options than your KTM.

This is my 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone and my choice to head out and see what happens. Lucky for me that while the fuel filter is also installed in the tank, the V7 tanks is pretty easy to remove. Below is a photo of the stock filter that I removed after 3 months of ownership. I had read that the stock filter was half plastic and could fail so decide to take a look, mine had a swollen look and you can press in the plastic with your finger pretty easily. New all metal filter now resides in the tank. Apologies if I derailed this report and I hope you get back to riding soon!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #523
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Been following this thread and don't have a dog in the fight, but is it possible that the lemon law could apply in this situation? Not sure about Canada but here in the US if you have these kind of problems they have to take it back.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #524
UT R1150R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,131
Kedgi,

I started reading your report yesterday, got impatient, and skipped to the end.

Instead of finding interesting pics of Mexico, I learned that you've been having so much trouble getting back on the road. I'm sorry you're going through all of that BS.

An idea came to mind that may help in the future. Would it be possible to run an external fuel filter? I ride a BMW which also has an in-tank fuel filter. I've learned that some BMW guys remove it and run the lines through a see-through filter, attached somewhere on the frame. When it gets clogged in Colombia, for example, or some other place where fuel may be questionable, they can easily remove it, blow through it to "clean" it, or just pop on a replacement.

Granted, this may not be a viable solution when under warranty but something that may help one day if you decide to keep your bike.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #525
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Hey Kedgi -

Saw your post in the OC, and thought..."what a dog-pile"...I couldn't believe how fast that thread went south.

I feel your pain as a fellow 990 owner. I have a 2011, and wrenching is not the most fun thing I like to do with myself, I'd personally rather ride. But I've learned that in order to ride a 990 like it was meant to be ridden I have to put in some wrench time (or a lot of $$$$, which I don't have).

Although the fuel filter issue is well known in the OC, if you don't frequent that forum you're unlikely to know unless someone else (your dealer maybe?) tells you. A good dealer is key here. The day I bought my bike my dealer told me to do a few things to ensure I enjoy the bike:
1) Change the fuel filters every 15k miles because they will clog over time.
2) Change the water pump seal every 20K miles because it will fail.
3) Put a side stand re-locator on the bike because the stock location is BAD news.
4) Chuck the stock bash plate and get a real one.

I didn't believe him until the first set of filters clogged up at 16k miles, and my water pump seal went at 28K+/-. The service manual unfortunately does NOT call for these items to be replaced at regular service intervals(and it should)...but again, having a good dealer or the knowledge and willingness to do the work yourself really helps. I just changed my filters again tonight in preparation for an upcoming ride, so I guess I've gotten used to it.

Like someone posted, the filters themselves can be purchased pretty cheap. Also a "splitstream" style filter in the tank filler will help also. Anyway, sounds like you've gotten the bike squared away. I hope you're out riding and enjoying the Baja...hopefully in Baja. I'll be down there next week on my 990, hope to see you in the field.
Closed Thread