ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #61
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRider View Post
Sounds good. We need to get a set of maps to review for routes and distance. I am also looking at buying the GPS tracks unless you already have them.
I've got all that... I'm probably going to order the paper maps as well. Just to be safe..
Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #62
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, ordered the following maps:
Route 2
Route 3
Route 4
Route 5 section 2.

I also have the GPS tracks. We should be good to go.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #63
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRider View Post
Sounds good. We need to get a set of maps to review for routes and distance. I am also looking at buying the GPS tracks unless you already have them.
I don't have any of it yet, but will likely buy a full set of maps at some point. Also, I believe one of the inmates that plans on attending has a set...
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #64
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
I don't have any of it yet, but will likely buy a full set of maps at some point. Also, I believe one of the inmates that plans on attending has a set...
Yep, see post #61
Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #65
KillerD
BoozeMagician

Oddometer: 166
Definitely think a meet and greet is in order, you know, put a face to the handle before we all end up spending five days and nights together! Sounds like most folks are from the pdx area...?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
KillerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #66
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post
Definitely think a meet and greet is in order, you know, put a face to the handle before we all end up spending five days and nights together! Sounds like most folks are from the pdx area...?

Agreed. I've heard some horror stories from a guy I use to ride with about this ride and how people can be. I think it may be harder for people to leave you for dead if they actually know you. Maybe I'm naive about that.

For those in the PDX area wanting to do this ride, we should get together for a few rides prior so we get a better feel for how we all ride. I'm not the fastest one reason being I'm new to such a big bike (DR650) and I'm not totally comfortable on it yet. I'm planning on doing the PSSOR BDR training tour so by the time the OBDR comes around I'll be MUCH more comfortable and have developed some better skilz.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #67
PBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post

I agree. It would also be good to get an idea of every once skill level when we meet up to help plan pace/route.

I am available most weekends to meet for riding/lunch. Lets see what looks like a dry day to get out and set a meet up.
PBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #68
KillerD
BoozeMagician

Yep. I'm out of state on business next weekend but I believe I'm free the next after that.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #69
PBRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
I've got all that... I'm probably going to order the paper maps as well. Just to be safe..
Awesome! glad I dragged my feet on purchasing the tracks.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #70
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Agreed. I've heard some horror stories from a guy I use to ride with about this ride and how people can be. I think it may be harder for people to leave you for dead if they actually know you. Maybe I'm naive about that.

For those in the PDX area wanting to do this ride, we should get together for a few rides prior so we get a better feel for how we all ride. I'm not the fastest one reason being I'm new to such a big bike (DR650) and I'm not totally comfortable on it yet. I'm planning on doing the PSSOR BDR training tour so by the time the OBDR comes around I'll be MUCH more comfortable and have developed some better skilz.
What horror stories?

Plenty of us live near the routes and can help, but I can't even imagine what the horror stories could be.

I would recommend more than one gps in the group. We also carried paper maps, never used em. The gps routes are pretty foolproof.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #71
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
What horror stories?

Plenty of us live near the routes and can help, but I can't even imagine what the horror stories could be.

I would recommend more than one gps in the group. We also carried paper maps, never used em. The gps routes are pretty foolproof.
Not really my story to tell so I'll summarize. It had to do with the people on the route with him, not the route itself. Issues with the bike and nobody wanting to help or someone causing a crash which he got hurt and they telling him it wasn't their issue. Just basically people being dicks. I'd never leave someone in a lurch like that regardless if it screwed up my ride.

One of the reasons I was considering doing this by myself.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #72
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Not really my story to tell so I'll summarize. It had to do with the people on the route with him, not the route itself. Issues with the bike and nobody wanting to help or someone causing a crash which he got hurt and they telling him it wasn't their issue. Just basically people being dicks. I'd never leave someone in a lurch like that regardless if it screwed up my ride.

Ah, makes sense...and yea, not a trip you want to take with people that you can't count on. If going alone, make sure you are stocked up on technology, plus posting here needing assistance will almost always get you a response. I live 10 miles or so from the 3,4 intersection and always have time to go pick up a broken bike, as do many people in the area.

It's a great ride, you'll love it.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #73
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,238
Quote:
.....I'd never leave someone in a lurch like that regardless if it screwed up my ride.

I think you'll find the majority of this ADV crowd to be a bit more....one for all - all for one. That has certainly been my experience riding with ADV strangers. It certainly is my highest priority when I ride with a group.

On that note, some travellers all well endowed with GPS might just wanna ride faster than the every-intersection buddy system allows. But when that person behind breaks down, crashes or just gets a flat, they get left alone, and the leaders are stuck wondering how to find him.....or maybe decide to just leave him because they have no idea how far back he may be. The every-intersection buddy system might slow down a group, but it might save a huge potential hassle/worry situation that would be avoided if riders kept track of each other. The world can wait; don't be in that big of a hurry just to meet a silly distance goal. You might just miss the best parts of the trip, which isn't neccessarily about the actual riding. IMO, it's about the "trip" and the guys you are riding with all having a good time. When I'm out riding, each current moment is all that matters, and everything else can just wait.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #74
PBRider
Adventurer

I am a firm believer in waiting for the whole group at intersections to avoid loosing riders. Nothing worse then feeling you were left behind. I have been in groups before where it felt like it was a race and everyone had to fend for them selves and its no fun.

When I want to go fast I go to the track. One of the reasons I stopped riding my sport bike on the streets and bought an adventure bike (or as my daughter calls it, an old mans bike ) for street riding and commuting instead . Now I am finding that I am enjoying the scenery much more and look forward to exploring new areas.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #75
KillerD
BoozeMagician

Yup. Even on our fast street rides my old group would always stop at designated sections for noobies and the inevitable gold wing that decided to join. All for the ride as fast as you want and take in the scenery whenever you hit an intersection.