User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #91
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,983
Thumb I have done a bunch of work, updates as time permits

I needed to set the bike up with a tensioner for the belt. As luck would have it the stock exhaust mount is in the right place and it's damn strong. I picked up a Buell pulley off of ebay on the cheap, I later found out why...The bearings wear bone dry!! I pulled the seals, cleaned them and repacked them. Good as new.

The diameter of the bolt hole for pulley is slightly less than that of the exhaust mount hole so I made a little brass sleeve to take up the extra space.

A quick fit just to be sure it's all going to work...

Decided that I want a little extra support "just in case".

All welded up and mounted. Need to cut down the bolt and paint it so that she is show ready!!

Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #92
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Since I had previously knocked the bearing out of my new wheel I need to get them out of the stocker in order to refit them into my off road worthy wheel.

The bearings in the stock wheel were a little crusty but felt good. I decided to pull them apart anyway just to be sure.

Anyone ever wonder why the older HD wheel bearings seemed to last longer than the new ones? Double freaking seals on each side of the bearing!!

The grease was still in tact and there was no dirt or grime inside. I cleaned them up a bit just to be sure that my removal of the seals didn't add something undesirable then I re-greased them and put the seals back in.

Since my bearing press didn't fit I reverted to my redneck ways and pressed them in "manually".

A little tap here and a little tap there...just to get things started.

Then out comes the flat board in order to make sure the bearing is going in straight .

Then a switch to big socket in order to sink them in where they should be. Just a note, if you plan on doing it the way I did be patient and DO NOT hit the bearing in the center!!! Be sure to only hit it on the body.

I also needed a rim strip and since I don't like the rubber ones I picked up the Armor Rim Tape from Motion Pro...

Here's the new wheel with a Kenda k270 4.5x18 installed.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 05:21 PM
Old 01-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #93
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Just a note, if you plan on doing it the way I did be patient and DO NOT hit the bearing in the center!!! Be sure to only hit it on the body.
Or, just use a big socket, some all-thread, couple of big washer (plate with hole in it, etc), and nuts to make a bearing press...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #94
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Or, just use a big socket, some all-thread, couple of big washer (plate with hole in it, etc), and nuts to make a bearing press...

Yeah that was my plan as well but I quickly discovered that I didn't have any threaded rod or bolts long enough to fit through the hub. Figured I would put the warning out there in case someone decided to ham fist their bearings by beating them laterally right on the race...They don't like that.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #95
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
That is going to look killer. Of all the build threads I'm following this is my favorite.

Thanks man!!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #96
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

So one of the things that needed to be addressed is the fork...I know that the 1983 xl600 was no featherweight but compared to a Sporty? It's a fringin carbon road bike in a sea of gas pipe Schwinns. It was recommended to me that before I go cutting springs, ordering new ones, etc that I add a preload spacer to the fork. 3in ought to do it..

Cut and installed the fork is notably stiffer. Let me just tell you that hand compressing the spring to reinstall the topcap was the opposite of fun. ...We shall see if it works out.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #97
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

I also needed to mount the fender to the fork. I wanted a low traditional scrambler fender. The XL forks do not have provisions for mounting a low fender. Time to improvise!!

First the chrome HD fender support MUST go! I needed to drill out the factory rivets and tap them out.

I found some U bolts that were just about the right diameter.. Not perfect but the XL forks have little nubs where "something" may have been cast into another Showa fork model that uses the same sliders and strangely those little bumps are right where a fender would go.

I made some arched supports to weld up to the u bolts.

Front

Rear

And a quick test fit to make sure that they will fit the way that I want them to.

And welded up to the brackets.

The u bolts were a bit long so they needed a trim..

And a quick cleanup of the threads..

Everything worked out swimmingly so it's off to the paint booth.

Add some stainless hardware to hold it all together and she's ready to mount.

Aaaannnnd....Here's mud in yer' ...Oh wait, make that no mud in yer' eye!!

The great thing about having it setup like this is that I can raise the fender if need be.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #98
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So one of the things that needed to be addressed is the fork...I know that the 1983 xl600 was no featherweight but compared to a Sporty? It's a fringin carbon road bike in a sea of gas pipe Schwinns. It was recommended to me that before I go cutting springs, ordering new ones, etc that I add a preload spacer to the fork. 3in ought to do it..

Cut and installed the fork is notably stiffer. Let me just tell you that hand compressing the spring to reinstall the topcap was the opposite of fun. ...We shall see if it works out.
How much static sag are you gettin with that much preload?

One thing that I'm sure you've already considered is getting better damping control from the damper rod forks. I, among others, have found the Ricor Intiminators to really improve the Sportster's stock fork action. I know that in my case the improvement in damping actually allowed me to get away with the softer stock springs. Another member recently reported the same thing on his KLR over in rodteague's MPS thread. Not sure if they make anything specifically for the older XL600 forks, but since they are 39mm OD the ID may be the same as, or close enough to, the stock Sportster's forks to allow the Ricors for the Sportster to fit. Just thought I'd throw that out there just in case you hadn't already looked into them....

And I know what you mean about trying to compress a lot of preload by hand! Geesh! When I was doing the mods to my Sporty last year I thought I'd NEVER get the damn caps back on! And that was just with the factory springs. Seems that on my bike, for some reason, Harley's suspension gurus decided excessive preload was the ticket. Once I had everything back together again I discovered that I had NO sag at all. After a lot of figurin and cypherin, and no small amount of experimentin, I ended up cutting 2 inches off the stock springs to get my sag set where I wanted it. I figured I'd need new springs anyway, so what the hell. But once I had everything done and started doing my road testing I actually found them to work pretty damn well set up that way. Full on panic braking over bumpy pavement still hasn't managed to bottom the forks and yet under everyday riding conditions I'm using what I feel is an appropriate amount of total travel. Nice and supple, and yet firm and controlled. Pretty happy with it now.

Of course, my bike is strictly a street bike, and I know your application will be different. Apples to peaches and all that... so YMMV...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #99
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

The great thing about having it setup like this is that I can raise the fender if need be.

Awesome fender mount idea!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #100
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
How much static sag are you gettin with that much preload?

One thing that I'm sure you've already considered is getting better damping control from the damper rod forks. I, among others, have found the Ricor Intiminators to really improve the Sportster's stock fork action. I know that in my case the improvement in damping actually allowed me to get away with the softer stock springs. Another member recently reported the same thing on his KLR over in rodteague's MPS thread. Not sure if they make anything specifically for the older XL600 forks, but since they are 39mm OD the ID may be the same as, or close enough to, the stock Sportster's forks to allow the Ricors for the Sportster to fit. Just thought I'd throw that out there just in case you hadn't already looked into them....

And I know what you mean about trying to compress a lot of preload by hand! Geesh! When I was doing the mods to my Sporty last year I thought I'd NEVER get the damn caps back on! And that was just with the factory springs. Seems that on my bike, for some reason, Harley's suspension gurus decided excessive preload was the ticket. Once I had everything back together again I discovered that I had NO sag at all. After a lot of figurin and cypherin, and no small amount of experimentin, I ended up cutting 2 inches off the stock springs to get my sag set where I wanted it. I figured I'd need new springs anyway, so what the hell. But once I had everything done and started doing my road testing I actually found them to work pretty damn well set up that way. Full on panic braking over bumpy pavement still hasn't managed to bottom the forks and yet under everyday riding conditions I'm using what I feel is an appropriate amount of total travel. Nice and supple, and yet firm and controlled. Pretty happy with it now.

Of course, my bike is strictly a street bike, and I know your application will be different. Apples to peaches and all that... so YMMV...

Getting about an inch of static sag on the bike right now. According to people that know more than me ( not hard to do :) ) the xl fork was undersprung yet over damped. Supposedly the additional preload should be good for general riding....Sadly it won't work for big gap jumps or a 70ft table top. Worse case scenario I will cut the springs down a bit and lessen th travel some which should stiffen things up a bit.

On my street sporty I went with the Works performance kit... Rear shocks and new fork cartridges. The setup has worked exactly as I needed. Can't say enough great things about the guys at Works, especially Sandy who has listened to and responded to all of my dumb questions.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #101
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Getting about an inch of static sag on the bike right now. According to people that know more than me ( not hard to do :) ) the xl fork was undersprung yet over damped. Supposedly the additional preload should be good for general riding....Sadly it won't work for big gap jumps or a 70ft table top. Worse case scenario I will cut the springs down a bit and lessen th travel some which should stiffen things up a bit.

On my street sporty I went with the Works performance kit... Rear shocks and new fork cartridges. The setup has worked exactly as I needed. Can't say enough great things about the guys at Works, especially Sandy who has listened to and responded to all of my dumb questions.
I once had an '85 XR600R, many years ago. Spent some time with the forks getting them dialed in for my needs. Never was great, but not too bad for what I needed them to do. I really don't remember anything about them now though...

I've heard good things about the Works cartridge kit. Out of my price range though.

I'm still up in the air what I'm going to do about my shocks though. The ones I have now are gettin me by but I do hope to upgrade when funds can allow. Do you have a write-up about yours posted somewhere?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #102
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
I once had an '85 XR600R, many years ago. Spent some time with the forks getting them dialed in for my needs. Never was great, but not too bad for what I needed them to do. I really don't remember anything about them now though...

I've heard good things about the Works cartridge kit. Out of my price range though.

I'm still up in the air what I'm going to do about my shocks though. The ones I have now are gettin me by but I do hope to upgrade when funds can allow. Do you have a write-up about yours posted somewhere?

Yeah , the cartridge kit has been great but it HURT to hand over that kind of dough.. Champagne tastes and a beer budget.

I do have a write up over on "the other" forum. I have also heard great things about YSS and they seemed to be priced well.

By the way, I REALLY would love to have an old XR/L 600 or 500 !! You are lucky to have owned one. It was my dream bike as a kid!! I did get to ride an inmates 500 and it was hard to give it back.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 08:10 PM
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #103
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah , the cartridge kit has been great but it HURT to hand over that kind of dough.. Champagne tastes and a beer budget.

I do have a write up over on "the other" forum. I have also heard great things about YSS and they seemed to be priced well.

By the way, I REALLY would love to have an old XR/L 600 or 500 !! You are lucky to have owned one. It was my dream bike as a kid!! I did get to ride an inmates 500 and it was hard to give it back.
Hell, I've read that before. I remembered the Corgis as soon as the page opened.

So, you're happy with the shocks as well as the fork kit? I originally said I was going with a lower end basic Ohlins, but hell, I can't afford anything right now so I've got time to consider my options a bit more...

Yeah, I loved the XR too! Had it a while and it was a BEAST to handle in the woods I used to ride. Wore my little ass out quickly! And I was actually quicker on my nimble little XR200 in the woods. I later did a Baja Designs DS kit on the big XR and got it tagged. THAT'S where it shined! GREAT on the forest service roads. Rode it like that until I eventually fragged third gear. Had another DS by then so it just sat since I didn't have the motivation to tear into it. Really was a fun bike once I had the dual carbs set-up properly. Completely dispelled the old saying about big singles being hard to kick start. It was a one, sometimes two, kick startin beast. Always made my ridin buddies chuckle when I got it lit up so easily. Just took good jetting and a certain technique. If you ever get a chance to pick up a clean one, i wouldn't hesitate.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #104
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 267
GB,

Epic, brilliant fender mount. Wheels look great. Has been a lot of fun watching this build come together. Good job!

Rod

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com

My Multi Purpose Sportster (MPS)
rodteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #105
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I gotcher distraction right chere

photo f235d7e68a6b312be645ef4628706ae3.jpg
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote