User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 209
SL175 Project

Well. . . .here it is. My next project, a 1970 SL175 (with a title!). I got it like this.

The heads have been done (valves ground), carbs gone through, new battery installed, and engine assembled, all done by Farmer. The donor engine gave up the jugs and head. The original bike (being rebuilt) had a bolt between the fins bent around to hold the exhaust on, as the previous owner (twice previous owner, that is. Not Farmer.) had broken off an exhaust stud. So far, I have only checked and adjusted points gap and ignition timing, which was only off a little. Next to do is fix the kick start gears and see if it has spark. If it does, I'll put a tank on it and get it running. It'll be a reasonably smooth project (knock on wood). I can see new cables, tires, and a few rubber parts needing replacement/to be found, but I'm not too worried about that. I plan on making this a survivor bike. I won't be doing any dent removal, and only painting things that have to be painted to keep the rust at bay.

You can also follow my rebuild project on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/korysrides I don't have any videos of it up yet, but I plan on starting in on it soon. After I get Christmas presents built for my family, that is.

Getting a little crowded in here . . .the XS400 needs to go . . .
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Looks like a fun project. Looking forward to your updates!

You may want to post your XS in the classifieds at XS400.com There are plenty of enthusiasts there...

Dave
16VGTIDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

Update. Got the title transferred, custom plate on the way, and have some parts ordered.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

Old 12-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Keep the pictures coming as I'm working on a couple of SL 175's myself. Yours look to be in about the same condition as when I started on mine. Just wondering what kind of condition your exhaust pipes and muffler are in?
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2old4fun View Post
Keep the pictures coming as I'm working on a couple of SL 175's myself. Yours look to be in about the same condition as when I started on mine. Just wondering what kind of condition your exhaust pipes and muffler are in?
Three out of my four headpipes are ok, one rotten muffler, and one good one.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapchik View Post
Three out of my four headpipes are ok, one rotten muffler, and one good one.
Good to hear that you've got at least one good muffler as all of them from the SL's I've got were bad, but that doesn't matter as I've built a new system for it. Still did use the stock pipes, but made new 2 into one setup which used a shorty muffler that I had lying around.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

With every single vehicle I have ever owned, there have been exhaust changes. I will probably coat the factory muffler with rust inhibitor of some sort, and put it away. I like my rides loud. Turnout on the head pipes loud. Or maybe I'll bust out the TIG welder and make some sort of chambered deal. Not sure what route I'll go, but it won't be factory muffler for very long if at all.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

Old 01-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

I was home sick with a bad cold, and on day 2 felt better and got a few things done on the SL. While out in the garage, I started getting a little dizzy. I thought it was just the fact I was using the parts washer and had a propane heater on. I went outside for a while. I got up off the steps 5 minutes later, and was still dizzy. I shut the garage down, went inside, and took a shower. Still dizzy. Went to bed with my head swimming. Woke up this morning, and had to have my girlfriend take me to the hospital. Turns out I have positional vertigo, and there is no cure other than time. I have meds for the dizziness and nausea. I don't think I'll have any progress for a week or so, unless I can really heal fast.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapchik View Post
I was home sick with a bad cold, and on day 2 felt better and got a few things done on the SL. While out in the garage, I started getting a little dizzy. I thought it was just the fact I was using the parts washer and had a propane heater on. I went outside for a while. I got up off the steps 5 minutes later, and was still dizzy. I shut the garage down, went inside, and took a shower. Still dizzy. Went to bed with my head swimming. Woke up this morning, and had to have my girlfriend take me to the hospital. Turns out I have positional vertigo, and there is no cure other than time. I have meds for the dizziness and nausea. I don't think I'll have any progress for a week or so, unless I can really heal fast.
Very sorry to hear about your condition. Hope you are able to back to your project soon. In the mean time if you are up to it and of course if you haven't checked it out " Honda twins. net" it might be worth a look for info and some ideas.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

When I went to upload the 2nd set of videos from my camera to my laptop, there was a static shock that killed the camera and power supply on my computer. I lost a lot of video, so what I say I'm going to do in the beginning of the video doesn't all get done. $350 later I have a new camera and power supply.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
Lapchik OP
Tinkeritis posterboy

It lives! Almost . . .I think the carbs are out of sync. Also, there is a small exhaust leak I need to fix. Other than a few cosmetic items and the carb sync, it should be all good to go!

Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #15
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
After my mini bike I inheritied this exact bike from my dad. I literally destroyed it doing things on it that it was not designed to do. Thanks for the memory.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote