Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #106
valvesprung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Looks fantastic! My only critique would be that the headlight, gauges, and fairing need to be lowered about 3" to bring the lines of the bike into a smooth flow. Certainly doens't look terrible as is, just think it'll balance things a bit :)

Beautiful work!

1979 KZ650sr - extremely custom
1981 GPz750 - completely stock
1993 GS500 - baby adv
valvesprung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #107
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvesprung View Post
Looks fantastic! My only critique would be that the headlight, gauges, and fairing need to be lowered about 3" to bring the lines of the bike into a smooth flow. Certainly doens't look terrible as is, just think it'll balance things a bit :)

Beautiful work!
I might tend to agree, but... could it just be the angle of the pics?

When I first saw Burly's original build that led to the kit from Ryca, I thought the lines were fine with the headlight and gauges in the original position.

(Link to original build thread over on ChopCult)

But, yeah, it still might be better lower... and Ryca offers just such a thing HERE.

Looks pretty damn wicked cool as it is though.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 04:14 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #108
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,611
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

When I first saw Burly's original build that led to the kit from Ryca, I thought the lines were fine with the headlight and gauges in the original position.

But, yeah, it still might be better lower... and Ryca offers just such a thing HERE.

Guess I'll have to get this.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #109
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski View Post
Guess I'll have to get this.
And you thought your project was DONE!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #110
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
its missing a Ace Cafe decal, next time I do a run most probably in March I'll get one for your bike.

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #111
Leystone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
That is a AWESOME looking Sportster.

Question for you or the crowd that's done these builds - does cutting off the rails basically mean you can't put a regular seat back on there? I'd love this bike even more if it could have the ability to flip to a 2up ride.
Leystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #112
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leystone View Post

Question for you or the crowd that's done these builds - does cutting off the rails basically mean you can't put a regular seat back on there? I'd love this bike even more if it could have the ability to flip to a 2up ride.
Its a don't look back cut. Once its done, its done. With the right know how and fab skills, I.m sure one could make something that would accomplish that.

they do offer the number plate option, that way you don't have to cut the rear off.
"Grim Brother" #1

1stiski screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 05:32 AM
Old 01-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #113
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
its missing a Ace Cafe decal, next time I do a run most probably in March I'll get one for your bike.
Sweet.
"Grim Brother" #1
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #114
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leystone View Post

Yes, and no.

In stock form the Sportster's seat is supported by the fender, and the fender is supported by the fender struts. So, a stock seat won't work...

... BUT, a custom two-up seat can be designed to work on a bike without fender struts, although you'd probably need a frame loop to support the rear. No biggie. There are tons of examples of custom Sportsters without struts and with two-up seats. So, with a little imagination and fabrication it shouldn't be too difficult to make interchangeable seats for both uses on the same bike. The bigger issue would be how to accommodate the rear pegs in conjunction with rearsets. It could be done, of course, but it would complicate things a little.

Here's just one example of a Sportster without fender struts and with a two-up seat and rearsets.

You could easily replace that seat with a solo version if you wanted. And remove the rear fender as well, if you don't mind getting your back soaked and filthy when it rains...
Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #115
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 333
Quote:

That is the Chainsickle lowering bracket. I know because I installed one on my build. It's also about $30 cheaper to buy directly from Shane at Chainsickle. The Ryca rear sets also appear to be made by CS.

Still a very nice build.

Regards

Rod

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com

My Multi Purpose Sportster (MPS)
rodteague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #116
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodteague View Post
That is the Chainsickle lowering bracket. I know because I installed one on my build. It's also about $30 cheaper to buy directly from Shane at Chainsickle. The Ryca rear sets also appear to be made by CS.

Still a very nice build.

Regards

Rod
Yeah, I think I do remember that the rearsets are Chainsickle items. I've read many threads about Chainsickle's stuff and plan to use them myself if I ever get around to actually doing more than just dreaming about a Sportster build. I know that Ryca puts their kits together as "packages" to simplify things for the customer, and that many of the individual components are "sourced" elsewhere. I'm more of a do-it-yourselfer and rarely buy "kits", so I'd get the parts from the manufacturer whenever possible, and if it was more cost effective. Hell, I'm so cheap that I'll spend hours researching a part just to save fifty cents!

I don't remember a mention of them using a gauge lowering bracket on the build thread, but of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen. But, looking at various angles of that bike, it appears to my eye that the speedo is in the stock location. Then again, I haven't compared it side-by-side with a stock bike either.

Good tip on Shane's better pricing on the lowering bracket.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #117
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Quote:
Yeah, I think I do remember that the rearsets are Chainsickle items. I've read many threads about Chainsickle's stuff and plan to use them myself if I ever get around to actually doing more than just dreaming about a Sportster build. I know that Ryca puts their kits together as "packages" to simplify things for the customer, and that many of the individual components are "sourced" elsewhere. I'm more of a do-it-yourselfer and rarely buy "kits", so I'd get the parts from the manufacturer whenever possible, and if it was more cost effective. Hell, I'm so cheap that I'll spend hours researching a part just to save fifty cents!

I don't remember a mention of them using a gauge lowering bracket on the build thread, but of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen. But, looking at various angles of that bike, it appears to my eye that the speedo is in the stock location. Then again, I haven't compared it side-by-side with a stock bike either.

Good tip on Shane's better pricing on the lowering bracket.
Was on the Chainsickle site, I like the fact I can order that headlight lowering kit and also have extra bucks to get one of their cool cafe T-Shirts.
"Grim Brother" #1
Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #118
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Beautiful bike. Very well done. I like that you kept the anniversary paint.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #119
1stiski OP
Ride that nasty thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
Beautiful bike. Very well done. I like that you kept the anniversary paint.
Thanks. Yes, originally I was going to do the whole bike in black, but you know , that special anniversary color grew on me, the bits of chrome and the silver flake in the blue just comes together. I'm glad I went this direction, It actually looks like something that Harley would of sold off the floor.
"Grim Brother" #1
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #120
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Looks good, but I'm still waiting on that sound clip..

I'm curious how the exhaust sounds. I know it's subjective, but how's the volume? Did it have any noticeable effects on overall power, powerband, jetting requirements, etc? I really like the way it cleans up the lines of the bike, and gets the exhaust out of the way of other things, but I'm curious about the flow/performance and volume levels....