ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #1816
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,752
Beautiful pics!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #1817
dcbelljr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 38
[QUOTE=klinquist;23270445]A few shots from this weekend.

Awesome pics, klinquist! How's that big ugly Madstad working out for you?
__________________
AKA "littledon" or "LD".
2012 Tiger 800XC
2003 KLX 400
dcbelljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #1818
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbelljr View Post
Awesome pics, klinquist! How's that big ugly Madstad working out for you?

I frickin love the big ugly Madstad. Would recommend.
Glad I opted for Madstad's offroad brace after the riding I did this weekend too...
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate GETLOZT) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #1819
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Mirage
Oddometer: 2,111
Klinquist,

How do you like the AK20 conversion on your forks? Did this install add adjustability? I just bought an 800XC and looking at future mods like a 19" wheel laced in for better road handling. Thanks. Your bike looks great!! Let us know how those Karoo IIIs work. Traction and longevity.
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #1820
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Klinquist,

How do you like the AK20 conversion on your forks? Did this install add adjustability? I just bought an 800XC and looking at future mods like a 19" wheel laced in for better road handling. Thanks. Your bike looks great!! Let us know how those Karoo IIIs work. Traction and longevity.

The AK20s are triple adjustable. I'm not bottoming out the front anymore... and it feels *really* good, but I've got an appt with a local suspension guru to help me get it all tuned in, get the appropriate preload set, etc... so stay tuned.

Karoo3s are great on the street (little wiggle at 75mph full lean ) and also great in the dirt... longevity... well, I've got 1800 miles on them so far and I might get another 1500 depending on how I ride.. so not great. Most knobbies melt at high speed and going to/from Death Valley was ~850 miles total @ 80-85mph, so that didn't help.

For control reference my OEM Scorp Trails were toast at 3900 miles.
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate GETLOZT) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #1821
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
The AK20s are triple adjustable. I'm not bottoming out the front anymore... and it feels *really* good, but I've got an appt with a local suspension guru to help me get it all tuned in, get the appropriate preload set, etc... so stay tuned.

Karoo3s are great on the street (little wiggle at 75mph full lean ) and also great in the dirt... longevity... well, I've got 1800 miles on them so far and I might get another 1500 depending on how I ride.. so not great. Most knobbies melt at high speed and going to/from Death Valley was ~850 miles total @ 80-85mph, so that didn't help.

For control reference my OEM Scorp Trails were toast at 3900 miles.
How did you burn thru the OEM scorpion trais in 3900 miles? Mine lasted 21 000km's
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #1822
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
How did you burn thru the OEM scorpion trais in 3900 miles? Mine lasted 21 000km's

Lots of traction on our local mountain roads :).... For reference I also only get 28-30mpg when riding in the hills... Redline isn't a warning, it's a target.
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate GETLOZT) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #1823
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,136
A couple pics from my weekend trip up the coast all the way up the PCH.

There will be more in my thread found in my signature.







__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #1824
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
A couple pics from my weekend trip up the coast all the way up the PCH.

Tip: Take pictures with the sun at your back (shadow on the opposite side of the bike) ... that way we can at least see how awesome that green is!
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate GETLOZT) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #1825
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Tip: Take pictures with the sun at your back (shadow on the opposite side of the bike) ... that way we can at least see how awesome that green is!
I try to do that as much as possible but I can't always get a nice background that way. When I get the free time i will be editing them...

How's this though for lighting

__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #1826
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
How did you burn thru the OEM scorpion trais in 3900 miles? Mine lasted 21 000km's
You do know that there's a twist grip on the end of the handlebars on the right?
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 40000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:55 AM   #1827
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You do know that there's a twist grip on the end of the handlebars on the right?
You mean he's allowed to use more than half the tach when upshifting? Won't that put undue stress on the motor... and his tires?
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #1828
RedBean25
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RedBean25's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Oddometer: 133
Some pictures from a ride this past weekend in Northwestern Washington State.

Log Jams:


The Steeds:




Burnout:


The Bridge:


More Bridge:


Even more Bridge:
RedBean25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #1829
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,136
Nice shots!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #1830
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: DFW
Oddometer: 931
God I need a damn top case.
__________________
Current Bike: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
I deserve the best, anything less is unacceptable.
GPrairie_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014