2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
That's true. look on the bright side,,,,it's not Ontario. Or heaven forbid,,,,,,,Quebec.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
That's true. look on the bright side,,,,it's not Ontario. Or heaven forbid,,,,,,,Quebec.

Once again, for 2014, you are in the lead for winning the Dick of the year award

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
And filled with pot heads.
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Once again, for 2014, you are in the lead for winning the Dick of the year award

Come on guys... Just because you are settling into the depths of winter (I hear another 'Polar Vortex' has descended upon you), it doesn't always have to lead to another bit of B.C. bashing does it? I'm not too impressed by the last two posts - lighten up and don't worry, spring is coming to your parts in around 3 months....
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #6
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Rain is a lot easier to shovel than snow. We haven't had any for over a week now. +6 to 11c & sunny every day for the past week.

It's only expensive if you want to live there. Lots of cheaper & nicer places to live in this country than Hongcouver.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Rain is a lot easier to shovel than snow. We haven't had any for over a week now. +6 to 11c & sunny every day for the past week.

It's only expensive if you want to live there. Lots of cheaper & nicer places to live in this country than Hongcouver.

Ssssssh... You will only upset them more. I can only quote the elderly retired couple from Red Deer, who live across from me: "should have moved here 30 years ago..." As it is, I'm moving up my annual start of my riding year by 3 weeks to the beginning of March, because the weather has been so mild. It's been so mild that they haven't put any sand down on the roads over here on the Island - I used to wait until April when the last remnants of that scourge to riders disappeared.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
CL>Vancouver.BC>personals>rants & raves.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
CL>Vancouver.BC>personals>rants & raves.
You aren't offended by the earlier reference to Quebec were you? You couldn't be - you're having too good of a time out here in BC. Personally, I have nothing against that province, even though the ex comes from there (maybe I should..).
Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
You aren't offended by the earlier reference to Quebec were you? You couldn't be - you're having too good of a time out here in BC. Personally, I have nothing against that province, even though the ex comes from there (maybe I should..).
Yeah well...someone tried that with the frog/tadpole thing somewhere else a couple days ago.

Had to tell him that he is a "landlubber"....for the ones going to sea a tadpole is a "Polliwog". But then I have turned into a Shellback a long time ago and have the certificate to prove it.

Yep I kissed the large dead fish in front of King Neptune's court. And then got others to kiss it the following years.....
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Not to worry. If Quebec continues on it's current path of unbridled spending habits, I'm sure they can improve on their current 5th position of most indebted region on EARTH. Imagine if Alberta stopped poring money in there, like a truck pushing off rotting poutine into a gravel pit to be buried? No worries, if Quebec follows their dreams to be independent, I fully support their wishes. I'm sure that financial radioactive wasteland of France will come to save you.

Dick of the year award? If that means offering a shovel full of pure 100% truth, with the lovely halo of roses brushed away to see reality and fact,,,,yes, I humbly accept your coveted award with honour. I have a place for it already. On my toilet tank.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,135
this ratio has as much to do with low median incomes, as it does high real estate prices.
It is a ratio. Lots of starving people in Vancouver. Highest percentage of starving children, marginalized people thrown out on the streets to fend for themselves, etc, etc.

Certainly a selective set of cities. Priced real estate in Paris, lately?

Personally, i am sick of Vancouver. Lowest quality people that i have ever met. self - serving weasels, for the most part.
When i meet a decent human being, almost invariably, they are from out east.
YMMV

One the world stage - one of the safest, most beautiful cities, in one of the safest countries in the world. Fantastic outdoor activities. This adds value.

Me? We just put the house up for sale.
Had enough. Lived here almost 30 years.
In the future, I will still look forward to visiting Vancouver.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,736
I grew up in NFLD, lived some years in NS, and moved to Ontario last year after 5 years in Victoria. BC is beautiful as we all know and I rode year around while there.
But the depressing rain is worse for a family with small kids than cold weather. It was too wet for them to play outside during winter, but here at -15 I'm the custodian of the local outdoor rink and the kids love it. We had a couple + days last week and the neighborhood kids were scared as they thought the ice was gonna melt. If not skating they're building snowforts and sledding.

When I'm older, I'll get a house south. For the price of a home in many parts of BC, one could own 3-4 homes, and swap as the weather changes.

And with Toronto being the center of the universe, one can be anywhere pretty quickly and everything is close and cheaper here.
My wife and kids couldn't wait to move from BC. A few years here and it will be tough to get them to leave.

This is from an unbiased Newf, who would like to go back to the Rock.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,052
Well I was born in BC and lived in quite a few cities and provinces across the country including Montreal. After the last referendum I bailed out and moved to Ontario and was happy about it. 10 months ago I came back to live with the GF. Not particularly happy about that but if Mohamed won't come to the mountain the mountain ........ I suck it up, stick my head in the sand and try not to get involved in Quebec's shameless politics.

All the Anglo's I know who live here complain ad nauseum but don't do anything about it. I always get the "Oh, when I retire I'll move to Ontario" rant. Pisses me off... shit or get off the pot.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #15
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I grew up in NFLD, lived some years in NS, and moved to Ontario last year after 5 years in Victoria.
My wife and kids couldn't wait to move from BC.
Couldn't wait to leave BC, or couldn't wait to leave Victoria? BC is a big province with many diverse microclimates. If you wanted warm winters without significant rain, you could have gotten that in the Okanagan Valley. Want shitloads of snow and lots of outdoor rink time? Go north young man.

One thing for sure is that BC has some of the best on-road and off-road biking available within Canada if not North America. Speaking specifically of BC excluding the greater Vancouver region. Not much fun biking where there's millions of people.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote