Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrobs View Post
I am thinking they are not en acted laws?
Unless your a lawyer ? Or a politician ...

You need a permit to cross. As part of that permit there are requirements.

You don't have the permit? Or you don't conform to the permit requirements, then you can be taken as not having the permit so ... Full fine for no permit .. $1,000
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 292
A cheap fishing rod might be a good starting point for a flag pole.
Plenty of profiles to choose from.
Portly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
Dirt Doctor
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,114
I think the only people pushing compulsory flags are Mt Dare Station & Birdsville Roadhouse who surprise surprise sell the flags............

Who is going to enforce it anyway?? No one me thinks

I've done eight trips to date into the SD and only have meet the SA rangers at Dalhousie Springs - which now doesn't allow fires so we will be camping down the road in June when we come through on the coast to coast

On the bikes just have the lead bike constantly making calls on the UHF i.e motorbikes eastbound - and you will be in communication with 99% of the traffic
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #19
flatlineroz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hi Pete what bike are you using? I think I read somewhere you are on a tiger now? Are you going solo or with a support car?

I might be able to help with info as I went across on a tiger, 4wd supported in 2012.

Darren
flatlineroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 AM   #20
panhead_pete OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlineroz View Post
Hi Pete what bike are you using? I think I read somewhere you are on a tiger now? Are you going solo or with a support car?

I might be able to help with info as I went across on a tiger, 4wd supported in 2012.

Darren
Hi Darren would be on the Tiger and without a support vehicle. Any advice to help inform my decision would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #21
flatlineroz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
It will be a taxing ride on a fully loaded tiger, when I did it we went east to west (supposedly the harder way).

To clarify it was my father inlaws bike but he crashed a few times in the first 20km and broke himself so I took over.

I found the hardest section was west of the SA border. Some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to put turns in the track both up and down and also at the top of the dunes, this was by and far the hardest bit of the whole trip, there were a few times when I got beached just due to not being able to carry enough speed to keep ontop of the sand, I would make sure that you have enough strength to repeatedly pull/dig your bike out of a up hill beaching. I would have a shovel of some to dig yourself out.

I am guessing you can ride fairly well otherwise you wouldnt even consider something like this.

I think we budgeted about 44ltrs fuel for birdsville to oodnadatta and we had a bit spare at the end but you will have figure out your own safety calculation. How much spare fuel and water can you carry on your setup?

We had the standard original tyres which were ok but I think something with more grip would make a better time of it in the deep sand.

We ended up pushing the radiator back a bit from a few slow offs which then forced the fan to rub on the core which then led to 5 small leaks which we fixed with quick metal.

When you get to the big salt lake that runs north south try to limit the the amount of fun, I wound it up a bit too much and ran out of track and ended up 50m into a very soft clay pan.

I would have a hand held uhf and some way to charging it, whilst most of the time you can see a few dunes ahead it did help knowing how many were in the convoy.

How many days are you planning to take, obviously you will travel alot faster than cars. Once the sun starts to dip it is almost impossible to see your line in the shadows.

Once you cross into QLD I think it gets easier as the tracks go straight up and down the dunes meaning you can carry more speed.

We went in June and there was only a few times I took off the mesh jacket but I think in April it will be a bit hotter. Be prepared to be wacked on the arm/leg repeatedly from the the track side trees, the width is a 4wd so your arm just glances each and every tree/bush, between dunes you can carry some high speed if you want to but it is nice to recover a bit.

flatlineroz screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 04:31 AM
flatlineroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 AM   #22
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Hi Darren would be on the Tiger and without a support vehicle. Any advice to help inform my decision would be greatly appreciated.
Hit the gym now , pump those weights
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #23
SoakedAs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hi, what will you destination be for this trip? Is there room for 1 more?

I've been setting up my KLR650 for some adventures and considered doing the trip to the flinders classic via Melbourne (to see family).

I'm not a very experienced rider but I've managed every challenge that I've found for myself including some soft sand, huge rocky descents and whatever else I can find.

I'm heading to Frasier at the end of Feb so if I manage that I'll be in a good position to take on this adventure if you would have me along and it works out.

Would be great to hear from you.
Cheers
SoakedAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly View Post
A cheap fishing rod might be a good starting point for a flag pole.
Plenty of profiles to choose from.
You can get blanks - just the rod without the guides etc.

There were fiberglass radio antennas that you could get... long ones. they had a spring mount on the base... humm google search .. looks like the 4WD ones are not long enough! (max 2.2m).. but the boat ones are

http://www.zcg.com.au/marine_antennas_am-fm_radio.htm

3.4m tallest and down from there.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #25
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,265
It was 50 out here yesterday.....
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
panhead_pete OP
Beastly Adventurer

HI Darren

Thanks for the detailed response. More food for thought.

I have a 30+ litre safari on the bike now and normally pub it when I travel including at the Classic so wont have much gear which would allow me to carry 5L of water in a saddle bag and 5L on my back plus another 15L in fuel in the Saddle bags.

Two days from the Flinders to Mt Dare I would think based on my trip last year as long as the Oonnadata Track is OK. If its all wet and torn up will go up the Birdsville.

Planning two days to get across the Simpson with pre dawn starts whilst its cool. If I was to get to Mt Dare with plenty day light would fuel and water up and try and knock out some of the kms that afternoon. Should only have tools/spares, 3 days food, a few clothes and a swag so traveling light. Hire a sat phone at Mt Dare and drop it off at Birdsville.

Destination is the Sunshine Coast Soakedas and Id over night in Birdsville then probably haul ass home. So it would be a lot of riding in 5 days.

May still be too much to bite off and wont firm up any plans until MUCH closer to the date and these would be subject to change at the time.

Thanks so much for everyone's input to date.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #27
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,018
maybe give your cooling system a good flush and put some quality coolant innit
the big cats boil the billy in slow deep sand and if you letem get too hot you lose your clutch!
maybe look at timing it so you hit the dunes of death between poeppels and knolls at dawn or dusk when the going is cooler...it makes a big difference
Old 01-22-2014, 03:16 AM   #28
panhead_pete OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Philth, will do re the coolant! How far in are the dunes of death?
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 AM   #29
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,018
dunno but id say 150 from b ville?
theyre only about 40 ks and start at poeppels and finish at knolls
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #30
panhead_pete OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post