Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Ordered bits and bobs to make the S-Works whole again. :clap New saddle (white), bar tape (white), headset (need the crown race), and carbon bottle cages. Yeah, I know I can get Velocity cages that weigh the same for LOTS less, but its CARBON man!

M
  2. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I definitely do NOT trust the centerstand to keep the bike upright once he's in it. I use it to keep the bike upright until he's positioned over the seat, then I sort of keep my arm/elbow around the seat post while I buckle him in. Once he's strapped in, I throw a leg over and we're off.
  3. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    This right here boys and girls:
    [​IMG]
    is why you don't race stuff you can't afford to replace.

:nono

M
  4. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'll even start a caption:

Dude on the left: Hey look! A water bottle that matches my kit! I SO need that!

Dude on the right: what?! Where?! I don't see anything! :confused

M
  5. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    Question for TP users..

How are the plans delivered?

Do the plans come in a format I can just download into my garmin cyclecomputer and follow?

For example, on the Edge 800, you can download a training plan for Intervals from the Garmin Training Centre and just follow the prompts.

I am preparing for a long multi day ride by April, started base training but looking for something more structured to follow. I have done 800km so far this month and plan on min of 500km per month till then

Upcoming ride is about 7 to 8 days
    150 - 200km per day
    Plenty of hills (for me), about 800 to 1750m of elevation gain per segment.
    Temps are 32-40 deg C with RH of 100 in the south dropping to 80/90 as we move northwards.
    Road bikes, no luggage, 2 of us

And I live in Flatisland!

There is a Hilly Century plan that looks promising, I have the Time Crunch Cyclist book but translating all that stuff into training zones and plans on the Garmin is not what I am looking forward to.

Looks like the Experienced Century plan is what I need
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great shot! I like the position of the third guy, looks like the rear wheel is locked up and he is drifting a bit.

We have a 1/2 mile oval here that they race crit races on a couple nights a week. It is pretty cool, with banked turns and a small hill at the start/finish. That is good for a few really expensive crashes a year. Usually the chain link fence on the outside of the banked turns is what does the most damage.
  7. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a Junior, I had a $10 max for rear derailleurs.

As a Senior, I pretty much only raced the track. Beefy steel frame and papier-mache' wheels. Never bent the frame as the wheels would take the hit.
  8. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    One picture that explains everything you need to know about Cyclocross:

[​IMG]
  9. vfr700

vfr700 172S

Oddometer:
    The Swiss Cross is spec'd w/ WCS carbon cross fork, WCS headset w/integrated cable hanger, has a fastback seat cluster, integrated head tube, investment cast drop outs, and a higher spec tube set compared to the other's DB 4130. It has a good MSRP for what you get, but the V.O. & Surly are solid bikes.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that explains a lot. Makes sense, now. Thanks!
  11. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    I think you would have to program the workouts separately into your garmin. I just use the Training Peaks app on my cell to pull up each day's workout then, either memorize if simple, or write down shorthand details, times, zones on blue painters tape and put it on my top tube where I can read on the fly.
  12. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    Yea,even if you don't crash em frames do break or just get noodley. 10k race bike let the pros do that.

That poor bastard doing the knee slide that's gonna hurt long time. The tree ain't gonna feel good either.
  13. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    They were probably going at a pretty good clip. I hit the asphalt at 20 last summer and the depth of the wounds from grinding on asphalt was impressive....and painful.
  14. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    But where is knee-slide guy going to throw that midget?!?
  15. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    Thanks

I bought the Experienced Century

Will use weekend to translate into Garmin Workouts and upload to GPS
  16. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    I hit a guy who fell in front of me in a race ,we were in a bad crosswind. I endoed over the bars and slid ,the back of my jersey was pretty much gone. .I had to sleep on my belly for a month, I don't sleep on my belly.Every time I'd roll over while sleeping it'd wake me up. It sucked
  17. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    That's the first thing that popped into my mind as well.:rofl Where's the midget toss emoticon?:evil
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Hindsight being 20/20 he should have gotten off and run that downhill.

M
  19. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Through lots of (cycling and rollerblading)crashing experience, I can say the depth of the wounds doesn't seem to affect the pain level. Even shallow road rash is the suck. The impact/grinding part doesn't phase me. It's the act of picking the gravel/asphalt bits out of the wound in the shower after getting home that hurts like a mothertrucker. I've heard it's even worse if a nurse does it in the ER with a wire brush.:eek1
  20. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Thus why roadies shave... reduced likelihood of infection from road rash. The nurses are going to shave the site anyway. Hair carries a bucketload of bacteria and bad mojo. Oh... and Tegaderm is a miracle sent from upon high. :deal