ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #61
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 464
Wow - Mikrow; where have you been? It's good to hear you chime in. We've lost touch since riding together on the inaugural MT1K. I hope you will make it up for this ride and if you do I hope you will get in touch with me. It would be good to see ya and if you pass through my AO en route, I'd be glad to host you on your way to and fro.

Timmer, I'm glad you are on the mend and ready to prowl. The WR will be a fun bike and easy to manage, yes? Have a great time...

Wansfel, you are a planning and riding rascal... A "Professional Adventure Rider!" I hope I can do this ride, but if not, I hope we will do something else over the course of this next riding season. I'll take the drive and head north this time...

Everybody will be in excellent hands with Timmer, Wansfel, MoondogMT, JimmyZ... these are fine Montana resources, to be sure.

Subscribed

All the best,

Stovey
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #62
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
OK, you got me. Virtually everything you mentioned has been in the planning hopper. The trouble I've run into is the distances involved. To run everything Timmer and I have discussed would take over 1,700 miles and well over our self allotted 7-8 days.

I worked out of Lewistown for several years back in the mid 70s. Yes, there is some interesting back road potential. I've put together some routes which include virtually everything you mention (ferries, breaks, Judiths, Snowys, Castles, Little Belts, and even Utica. But, right now I'm sidelining that region due to the distances involved AND also due to the weather at the end of July. It can be miserable hot and there ain't much shade.
1700 miles is only a little over 200 miles a day. That isn't too bad, especially if there is some pavement involved.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #63
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 422
here is a little pump up video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRwZ4aEDkw
Im in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And its difficult to analyze love when youre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #64
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
1700 miles is only a little over 200 miles a day. That isn't too bad, especially if there is some pavement involved.
I'll revisit the "east" routes. Certainly not mandatory for anyone to ride over 7 days. We've always had people come and go as they please and personal schedule permits. BUT, it still gets hot in that part of the state in July.

Of course it could also be a ride of its own in say later June.
Wansfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #65
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 447
Mikrow, Stovey, and Olyrider! Long time fellas, long time... I'm 3 for 4 on the MT rides now and have missed you guys. I am gonna have to miss this one. Mrs. Stinky and I are heading further east this year to adventure some new ground.

We had a great time last year with Ron leading the parade. Ron is the ultimate tour master! He'll do you guys right. Hope you boys have a splendid time. I'll be watching the thread for good ideas on our way east.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #66
missoulamike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzo View Post
Actually there is a great dirt road through part of Glacier. The North Fork Road from Kintla Lake to Fish Creek is unpaved and a great ride. The North Fork Road on the west side of the North Fork Flathead River (outside the park) is occasionally paved; inside the park on the east side of the river the road is unpaved. It looks like there are a couple routes from Eureka or Hwy 93 across the Whitefish Range to the North Fork Road. Even if it is paved, the Going to the Sun Road is still worth doing. From East Glacier dirt roads head south along the Rocky Mountain Front.
If I remember correctly, the route up Graves Creek through the Twochuck was a scenic route to the N Fork from Eureka way but that's a memory from 20 years ago now! Need to revisit the map to make sure. Bowman Lake is beautiful too but more traveled. If headed toward east glacier, good cut across from there on dirt over toward the paved browning/heart butte cut across. Bet you two are having fun with this! :)
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #67
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 464
Hi Rod!

I had the pleasure and privilege of riding with Wansfel last Fall and you are right - he's an Ace. Good man to ride the river with, for sure. Want to ride this one if I can. Taking measures to clear ground on the 2014 schedule and I'm hoping for the best!

Sorry you will miss this one but catch you maybe on the next?

You still on the KTM 450 or back on a bigger bike again? Or both?

Stovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Mikrow, Stovey, and Olyrider! Long time fellas, long time... I'm 3 for 4 on the MT rides now and have missed you guys. I am gonna have to miss this one. Mrs. Stinky and I are heading further east this year to adventure some new ground.

We had a great time last year with Ron leading the parade. Ron is the ultimate tour master! He'll do you guys right. Hope you boys have a splendid time. I'll be watching the thread for good ideas on our way east.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #68
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Stovey, Stinky...You guys are just too sweet.
Enough BS already! Stinky, If you want, I will route to you a route out in the middle lands should you desire regardless of where the BOM wanders in the end.

Mike, Too close for comfort. Drug a camp trailer E to W on the route you mention with a '77 Bronco - last year of the originals. Only hope it is still as great as my memory (1978). Not a place I want to primitive camp...too many griz, but super ride through. (And great fishing as I recall!)
Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #69
mikrow
Wanna see my snare?

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Wow - Mikrow; where have you been? It's good to hear you chime in. We've lost touch since riding together on the inaugural MT1K. I hope you will make it up for this ride and if you do I hope you will get in touch with me. It would be good to see ya and if you pass through my AO en route, I'd be glad to host you on your way to and fro.

All the best,

Stovey
Hey Stovey!

Great to hear from you. I'll definately try and make this one, and if I do I'll be in touch for sure.

Headed to Big Bend state park in a week or two, then going to slowly make my way north. Woo!

Cheers!

Mikrow

PS: Hey Rod, cheers to you too and hope to run into you some time!
mikrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #70
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 447
Stovey- did a little downsizing last year and sold the 450. I'm back on the Adventure Pig (GSA). Sure do miss the 450 but work was keeping me too busy to use it the way it should be used. I loved that thing...

Wansfel- any suggestions you have running east out around the Breaks would be most appreciated. That's brand new territory for me.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #71
missoulamike
Gnarly Adventurer

Is my Vstrom 1000 going to be too big a bike for this adventure? I know it rides a bit higher than I'd like on dirt roads, but . . .

I could always take my early 60's Moped, but at 23 mph tops I might lag a bit behind the rest of you even though I'm sure I'd outclass all of you with my wire baskets and the old fashioned bicycle/spring seat. :)
Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #72
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by missoulamike View Post
Is my Vstrom 1000 going to be too big a bike for this adventure? I know it rides a bit higher than I'd like on dirt roads, but . . .

I could always take my early 60's Moped, but at 23 mph tops I might lag a bit behind the rest of you even though I'm sure I'd outclass all of you with my wire baskets and the old fashioned bicycle/spring seat. :)
my weestrom is going, I think other than engine size, the rest is very similar. I think they will be fine-
Im in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And its difficult to analyze love when youre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #73
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by missoulamike View Post

The big V should be ok. Shouldn't be anything much rougher than the LOLO Motorway as an example. Couldn't have the moped showing up the old KLR anyway.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #74
missoulamike
Gnarly Adventurer

Sparky the moped will be glad to hear that. He kinda likes the semi-retired life.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #75
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,955
I'm all for avoiding shadeless infernos at that time of year.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is online now   Reply With Quote