ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #91
PBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
:)
I'm game for getting together in February. I'm available Feb 2nd, the weekend of the 8th and the weekend of the 22nd. Anyone who is interested in starting off with a meet/greet and beginning to plan logistics, this is a good chance to get an early start...
Chime in with dates and location ideas!
I can make any of those dates, so what ever works best for everyone I can be there. If weather is decent it would be nice to through in a short ride as well.
PBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #92
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,289
DR200 Suzuki is what my wife rides. We looked at the XT carefully also, and it seemed VERY similar. We found her 2009 with only 795 miles for $2700. Does 65-70, and happy all day long at 55mph, and just as happy tractoring up the gnar at 10mph or less without chugging to a stop. She climbed on it and very quickly started following me pretty much anywhere, seriously. And this was after failing to be able to ride my old Shadow with a similar 31" seat height. I believe we got her the perfect first bike, but the XT mighta been just fine. I'd assume the TW would be tough on the highway, but don't know.

That said, after about 8,000 miles in 2-1/2 years, she's looking through CL for a DRZ400, but that woulda been tough to tackle as a n00b.

When you do get her something, and you want a couple to ride a daytrip with, lemme know
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #93
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
DR200 Suzuki is what my wife rides. We looked at the XT carefully also, and it seemed VERY similar. We found her 2009 with only 795 miles for $2700. Does 65-70, and happy all day long at 55mph, and just as happy tractoring up the gnar at 10mph or less without chugging to a stop. She climbed on it and very quickly started following me pretty much anywhere, seriously. And this was after failing to be able to ride my old Shadow with a similar 31" seat height. I believe we got her the perfect first bike, but the XT mighta been just fine. I'd assume the TW would be tough on the highway, but don't know.

That said, after about 8,000 miles in 2-1/2 years, she's looking through CL for a DRZ400, but that woulda been tough to tackle as a n00b.

When you do get her something, and you want a couple to ride a daytrip with, lemme know
Will do. I think once she gets into it enough to not be self conscious, having another couple to ride with would be a great way to keep it interesting! :)

She sat on a DR and she thought it felt pretty tall. I think she would get used to any of them, but she will just have to get over that initial hesitation.

I rode a DR400 in Bend (traded bikes for a while with my buddy while riding)...that thing felt super twitchy compared to my XRL!
jcloer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #94
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRider View Post
I can make any of those dates, so what ever works best for everyone I can be there. If weather is decent it would be nice to through in a short ride as well.
Ditto that!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #95
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
The XT225 can be found pretty easily on craigslist and it's no more powerful than the TW but has 6 speed gearbox and can easily do 70 on the highway. It's also lighter than the TW and the same height. I think it has a bigger tank as well.

http://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/4258719773.html $2900
Bought for his wife. Only 1500 miles.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4299614824.html TW200 $3250 with a rack.

Might also consider a Kawasaki KLR250. Very nice bike same height as the others and bulletproof. http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/4300627783.html only $2000.

Lots of options...

I've looked at all of those! :) Thanks for the links and the tips! I need to get her out on weekends to go check out a few bikes on CL and just see which one she'll like.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #96
KillerD
BoozeMagician

Oddometer: 173
February is a shitty month for me, but if the meet up is in Portland I'll be up there anyway the last week of the month and may be able to catch a really early or late event. Out of the state the weekend of the 22nd.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
KillerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #97
PBRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
I've looked at all of those! :) Thanks for the links and the tips! I need to get her out on weekends to go check out a few bikes on CL and just see which one she'll like.
I am in the market for a bike for my wife as well. She got her endorsement back in 2008 and rode for one season. Now she wants to ride again but does not want any type of off road capable motorcycle because they look to much like a boys bike.
PBRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #98
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRider View Post
I am in the market for a bike for my wife as well. She got her endorsement back in 2008 and rode for one season. Now she wants to ride again but does not want any type of off road capable motorcycle because they look to much like a boys bike.
LMAO! I found a TW yesterday from the late 80's that is red and white. I told my wife we should get that one so that she can match me on my XRL. ;)
Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #99
dirtbagrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
sunday ride??

I'm going on a ride out side of Estacada Sunday off NFD 4610 if anyone would care to join me
dirtbagrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #100
jcloer1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagrider View Post
I'm going on a ride out side of Estacada Sunday off NFD 4610 if anyone would care to join me
Wish I could! I have company in town this weekend. Have a great ride and thanks for the invite! Should be beautiful!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #101
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I may be interested. I need to test some suspension mods. I'm also nursing a back issue so not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #102
dirtbagrider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
I may be interested. I need to test some suspension mods. I'm also nursing a back issue so not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
let me know I'm open to any start time I would like to wait till it warms up
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #103
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Hey Dirt Bag,

I might be up for a cheap local ride. I`m Close to Silverton and know the area.

Shoot me a PM when ya think it might happen. Gonna get chilly with altitude but as long as the sun is out it`s all good.
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #104
dirtbagrider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan690 View Post
Hey Dirt Bag,

I might be up for a cheap local ride. I`m Close to Silverton and know the area.

Shoot me a PM when ya think it might happen. Gonna get chilly with altitude but as long as the sun is out it`s all good.
I sent you a PM don't know if I did it right, let me know if you get it.. thanks

Estacada ride tomorrow its going to be nice out !!!!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #105
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagrider View Post
I sent you a PM don't know if I did it right, let me know if you get it.. thanks

Estacada ride tomorrow its going to be nice out !!!!
I'm hoping I can go. What kind of ride will this be? Doubt I'd be up for anything too difficult as my back is still not great today.