ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
bergermeister OP
housin'
 
bergermeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: CA
Oddometer: 2,023
Friday Night Tykes

Caught a few episodes. This culture is why my kid doesn't play football.

bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,879
Hard to be a cowboy, if you are a botanist. Do they start too young, IMO yes, but I am in the minority opinion. Just had this issue come up at my level; and I was amazed, more like saddened, at the sentiment. So, it is the way it is. There are plenty of morons running plenty of things. From top to bottom. I am not going to get too excited about this. If you don't agree and can't live with it as is, vote with your feet as you have done. But if your kid wants to be involved, unless they are an exceptional athlete, they will be too late to catch up with these kids at a later date. Not sure if you coach or not, but no kid likes to sit on the sideline....no matter how many admonishments.... "Coach, can I go in?" At that level, there should be equal playing time IMO. No one is missing out on a D1 scholarship....but alas, there are plenty who disagree with me on that too. It is not just football....it is a culture shift. Probably not for the better, but we will have to sort it out after the process has matured. Then you can say, "I told you so."

I am not saying I don't agree with your assessment, but if others are on board with it, it is their choice and that has to be ok too. If Mommy's baby can't handle it, there are other things to do in life.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 75,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
Caught a few episodes. This culture is why my kid doesn't play football.
That is completely fucking nuts.

There is no -- no -- reason to expose kids to that level of injury and abuse.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
bergermeister OP
housin'
 
bergermeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: CA
Oddometer: 2,023
That preview is not even the worst of it. Kids getting concussions, puking on the field, being yelled at to man up and play hurt, and to hurt the opposing players... what a meathead culture.

I can't imagine doing this to a kid. I played football in HS and saw this bravado and abusive BS, including guys taking 'roids promoted by the coaches. I told myself that I would not put my kid through it, and the concussion studies have only made that decision easier.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
bergermeister OP
housin'
 
bergermeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: CA
Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Hard to be a cowboy, if you are a botanist. Do they start too young, IMO yes, but I am in the minority opinion. Just had this issue come up at my level; and I was amazed, more like saddened, at the sentiment. So, it is the way it is. There are plenty of morons running plenty of things. From top to bottom. I am not going to get too excited about this. If you don't agree and can't live with it as is, vote with your feet as you have done. But if your kid wants to be involved, unless they are an exceptional athlete, they will be too late to catch up with these kids at a later date. Not sure if you coach or not, but no kid likes to sit on the sideline....no matter how many admonishments.... "Coach, can I go in?" At that level, there should be equal playing time IMO. No one is missing out on a D1 scholarship....but alas, there are plenty who disagree with me on that too. It is not just football....it is a culture shift. Probably not for the better, but we will have to sort it out after the process has matured. Then you can say, "I told you so."

I am not saying I don't agree with your assessment, but if others are on board with it, it is their choice and that has to be ok too. If Mommy's baby can't handle it, there are other things to do in life.
That sounds like something from the show.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
That sounds like something from the show.
It was supposed to....the new era.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Beelzabob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Beelzabob's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 2,136
I grew up in a football culture. I played from 6-19 years of age and have seen a wide range of coaching styles. After watching all the episodes now of FNT, I'm disgusted with the Jr. Broncos head coach. I think this guy should be banned from coaching for life for telling theses kids to spear and use their helmets as weapons and hit the other kids in the head. He should be ashamed of himself.
__________________
Thank you soldiers for the freedom you graciously provide us.

"Most of the trip was like being thrown into a barrel of titties only to come out sucking your thumb!" - Oisin

Beelzabob screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 01:07 PM
Beelzabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,936
'Friday Night Tykes' coaches suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzabob View Post
I grew up in a football culture. I played from 6-19 years of age and have seen a wide range of coaching styles. After watching all the episodes now of FNT, I'm disgusted with the Jr. Broncos head coach. I think this guy should be banned from coaching for life for telling theses kids to spear and use their helmets as weapons and hit the other kids in the head. He should be ashamed of himself.
Boom.

"SAN ANTONIO — After several scenes on the controversial “Friday Night Tykes” show of San Antonio youth football coach Charles Chavarria encouraging his 8- and 9-year-old players to injure opponents, he has been suspended.

On Thursday, the Texas Youth Football Association announced that Chavarria, who coached the Jr. Broncos, won't be allowed to coach for at least a year.

Chavarria apologized Thursday, and said appearing on the show is “the worst thing that's ever happened to me.”

“I went from being a guy who was looked up to in the community, and now I'm getting death threats,” he said."
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Beelzabob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Beelzabob's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 2,136
__________________
Thank you soldiers for the freedom you graciously provide us.

"Most of the trip was like being thrown into a barrel of titties only to come out sucking your thumb!" - Oisin
Beelzabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
“I went from being a guy who was looked up to in the community, and now I'm getting death threats,” he said."
You would think that would be no big deal for such a big tough guy..."come and get me you yellow bellied wankers; I'll bust your head in.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!
 
NICO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 24,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Boom.

"SAN ANTONIO — After several scenes on the controversial “Friday Night Tykes” show of San Antonio youth football coach Charles Chavarria encouraging his 8- and 9-year-old players to injure opponents, he has been suspended.

On Thursday, the Texas Youth Football Association announced that Chavarria, who coached the Jr. Broncos, won't be allowed to coach for at least a year.

Chavarria apologized Thursday, and said appearing on the show is “the worst thing that's ever happened to me.”

“I went from being a guy who was looked up to in the community, and now I'm getting death threats,” he said."
Being on the show is the worst thing? He's a daft fuckwad. His upbringing, the model presented to him that allows him to think his approach was acceptable, was the worst thing that's happened to him. Fuck that guy and any parent who lets or has let their kid play for him.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Being on the show is the worst thing? He's a daft fuckwad. His upbringing, the model presented to him that allows him to think his approach was acceptable, was the worst thing that's happened to him. Fuck that guy and any parent who lets or has let their kid play for him.
Hmmmmm......just wait until your coaching debut.....you will have an eye-opener even in baseball. It will surprise you.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014