ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #736
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,677
The VIRB sure does work well in the cold!

My wife forgot her VIRB in the glove compartment of the car overnight, and this morning I went to get it and immediately started filming this wild winter weather we're having. It fired right up, and has been going for about 1.5 hours already, with two bars still left on the battery gauge. Amazing.

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #737
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder
 
s0ulchicken's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: High Desert, New Mexico
Oddometer: 99
RAM Mounts

Knowing what I know now after this weekends rides - the mounts I have been using absolutely suck (yeah you GoPro). For those of you in the know, how do the RAM mounts hold up to vibration? I had a seat post mount for Sunday's ride where I shot the video backwards, and even with stabilization, the video shook like I was riding out an earthquake. Will RAM's mounts do a better job for me?
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #738
hubilado
Motoquiero
 
hubilado's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 153
[QUOTE=s0ulchicken;23198446]Trail - Seven Sisters, section recorded at 48fps is the Whoops. 10 minute video... enjoy! The Whoops start at 2:30. - lots of fun downhill!!



Nice video...that trail looks fun. I thought I saw some dirt bike tracks along the way; are they OK out there?
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #739
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder
 
s0ulchicken's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: High Desert, New Mexico
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulchicken View Post
Trail - Seven Sisters, section recorded at 48fps is the Whoops. 10 minute video... enjoy! The Whoops start at 2:30. - lots of fun downhill!!
Nice video...that trail looks fun. I thought I saw some dirt bike tracks along the way; are they OK out there?
Thanks! The Kinsey / Road Apple Rally trails (they encompass Seven Sisters/Rigor Mortis) are dirtbike friendly out here, plus there is a massive moto-cross track in Aztec. Only trails locked out to motors are Anasazi, Alien Run, and Mountain View. Everything else is open. I can get a couple of maps for you if you think you might head out this way.
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #740
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulchicken View Post
..........
Only trails locked out to motors are Anasazi, Alien Run, and Mountain View
.......................
Any chance you could go out there today and get us some VIRB Vid.
__________________
2004 DR650: 59,658 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #741
USAIR
picking and riding
 
USAIR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The VIRB sure does work well in the cold!

My wife forgot her VIRB in the glove compartment of the car overnight, and this morning I went to get it and immediately started filming this wild winter weather we're having. It fired right up, and has been going for about 1.5 hours already, with two bars still left on the battery gauge. Amazing.

That is good to know.
My other cameras are notorious for losing power in cold weather.
I would keep batteries in my pocket to keep them charged.

Nice photo too.

Weather here is about the same crazy cold...can deal with snow but extreme cold sucks.
Walked out on the deck and the cracking of the wood thought it was going to fall down.
The house cracks a lot more too.

Fred
__________________
2013 WR250R 2007 Wee
www.riverbendphotos.com
YouTube feed
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #742
USAIR
picking and riding
 
USAIR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulchicken View Post
Knowing what I know now after this weekends rides - the mounts I have been using absolutely suck (yeah you GoPro). For those of you in the know, how do the RAM mounts hold up to vibration? I had a seat post mount for Sunday's ride where I shot the video backwards, and even with stabilization, the video shook like I was riding out an earthquake. Will RAM's mounts do a better job for me?

Well I like Ram mounts to me they seem to do a good job with the vibes.

Look at some of my videos all ram mounts the ones on the sled about as rough as it gets...I think.

The sleds seem to transmit the vibration really well.
I had them on plastic (the worst) and a old wood sled both bad.
But I think the videos seemed OK to me.

My other off road on my bike are with the ram mounts too and to me they seem OK too.
All mounted on my handle bars.

Fred
__________________
2013 WR250R 2007 Wee
www.riverbendphotos.com
YouTube feed
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #743
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder
 
s0ulchicken's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: High Desert, New Mexico
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Any chance you could go out there today and get us some VIRB Vid.
I WISH! No where I would rather be, but the desk calls me.... I did take some video over the weekend - the first ride I had it set to time lapse, by mistake... The second ride I had it mounted to the seatpost for a back shot of the whoops, but the vibration from the mount made it almost impossible to watch. Damn shame too, as the rear view was stunning - is currently on my MUST FIX list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Well I like Ram mounts to me they seem to do a good job with the vibes.

Look at some of my videos all ram mounts the ones on the sled about as rough as it gets...I think.

The sleds seem to transmit the vibration really well.
I had them on plastic (the worst) and a old wood sled both bad.
But I think the videos seemed OK to me.

My other off road on my bike are with the ram mounts too and to me they seem OK too.
All mounted on my handle bars.

Fred
Good to know! The only mount I do not have an issue with is the handlebars - all other mount positions give a nasty, unwatchable vibration.

EDIT - I will edit a portion of the video so you can see my dilema
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #744
USAIR
picking and riding
 
USAIR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulchicken View Post
I WISH! No where I would rather be, but the desk calls me.... I did take some video over the weekend - the first ride I had it set to time lapse, by mistake... The second ride I had it mounted to the seatpost for a back shot of the whoops, but the vibration from the mount made it almost impossible to watch. Damn shame too, as the rear view was stunning - is currently on my MUST FIX list.



Good to know! The only mount I do not have an issue with is the handlebars - all other mount positions give a nasty, unwatchable vibration.

EDIT - I will edit a portion of the video so you can see my dilema
Bike might give more vibration then motorcycle?
Although not sure why the handle bars would be better then the seat post?
Seems like they would be about the same.

When I have time I going to do a mini review on my mounts....might help...

Fred
__________________
2013 WR250R 2007 Wee
www.riverbendphotos.com
YouTube feed
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #745
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder
 
s0ulchicken's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: High Desert, New Mexico
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Bike might give more vibration then motorcycle?
Although not sure why the handle bars would be better then the seat post?
Seems like they would be about the same.

When I have time I going to do a mini review on my mounts....might help...

Fred
When I mounted the VIRB to the seatpost, it was sticking out at a 115 degree angle to the seatpost, about two inches away (like a sideways T). My guess is since there was no support from either top or bottom of the Virb, there was nothing to stop the vibration. Perhaps if I had a way to secure it to the seat along with the seatpost for two points of contact, it would have worked better.
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #746
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulchicken View Post
Knowing what I know now after this weekends rides - the mounts I have been using absolutely suck (yeah you GoPro). For those of you in the know, how do the RAM mounts hold up to vibration? I had a seat post mount for Sunday's ride where I shot the video backwards, and even with stabilization, the video shook like I was riding out an earthquake. Will RAM's mounts do a better job for me?
I think RAM mounts will make a big difference. This is a video I took with a GP2, on RAM mounts on the forks of my DR650. The times when the camera blurs I think can be traced to high frequency vibration from the engine when it's revving up around 6000 or so rpm, none of which you'll have on a bicycle seat post.

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #747
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder
 
s0ulchicken's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: High Desert, New Mexico
Oddometer: 99
That video looks baby smooth - very nice! I went to RamMount and picked out what I need, and will most likely pull the trigger as I know it won't get better with what I have. I do like how they have their bar set-up, it looks like I can get that into tighter spots than I could with the GoPro stuff.

EDIT - went to place my order at RAM - Virb mount is back ordered until April 1st...

EDIT #2 - found a Virb mount at MyPilotStore.com... went with Amazon for the handlbar mount - I should be good to go by this time next week.

s0ulchicken screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 02:09 PM
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #748
bicyclebradley
V-Twin
 
bicyclebradley's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: San Diego, Worlds Finest City.
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulchicken View Post
That video looks baby smooth .
it DID look smooth.
i like the idea of the fork mount, its way solid! nice work EBD!!

I have some new footage based on the s0ulchicken setup...

1080p
Ultra Zoom Mode
Stabilization On
Lens Correction On

...and it came out "tetas" as we say in my bizz... will be up soon in this thread.
__________________
Swim, Bike, Run. Faster, Better, Stronger.
http://www.bear-straps.com
bicyclebradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #749
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclebradley View Post
it DID look smooth.
i like the idea of the fork mount, its way solid! nice work EBD!!
I was happy with the way that mount worked. It was a RAM diamond base on a reflector arm I'd cut down. I've made up a second one for my wife's DR except I didn't cut off the reflector part.



It was odd though, the lower the light level, the happier I was with the pictures and video I was getting.

Here's another example, taken near dusk.



And a couple of pics taken from that same RAM mount.



__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #750
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder
 
s0ulchicken's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: High Desert, New Mexico
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclebradley View Post
it DID look smooth.
i like the idea of the fork mount, its way solid! nice work EBD!!

I have some new footage based on the s0ulchicken setup...

1080p
Ultra Zoom Mode
Stabilization On
Lens Correction On

...and it came out "tetas" as we say in my bizz... will be up soon in this thread.
I am really looking forward to checking it out bb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I was happy with the way that mount worked. It was a RAM diamond base on a reflector arm I'd cut down. I've made up a second one for my wife's DR except I didn't cut off the reflector part.

It was odd though, the lower the light level, the happier I was with the pictures and video I was getting.
Looks awesome - I am looking forward to the RAM mount as I think I will be able to mount it to place that the handlebar mount from GoPro wouldn't work very well, at least not without causing a catastrophic failure at some point on the ride. I would hate to wrap that sucker up in the chain or the spokes for sure.

As far as ride data is concerned, it looks like I deleted it as unusable... not that I am much bothered by that... not at all... grrr...

s0ulchicken screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 05:41 PM
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014