Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
dhawker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Helinox Cot - This looks interesting...

http://vimeo.com/84684804

Not sure what the final price will be but it will go nice with my Helinox chair and Table set.
dhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawker View Post
http://vimeo.com/84684804

Not sure what the final price will be but it will go nice with my Helinox chair and Table set.
It does look like a nice bit of kit. I have a Go Kot which has given great service over the past 7 years but I was not been able to buy a second when my wife wanted one last year due to no answer from the web site on shipping to Canada, so this new design gives me an alternative.

We tried the MSR Luxury Lite Cot but returned it when the plastic legs cracked on first use. She is only 130 lbs so that did not give us much confidence to try a replacement, took a refund and continue to search for a good, small and portable cot.

Maybe this one is it.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
dhawker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
It does look like a nice bit of kit. I have a Go Kot which has given great service over the past 7 years but I was not been able to buy a second when my wife wanted one last year due to no answer from the web site on shipping to Canada, so this new design gives me an alternative.

We tried the MSR Luxury Lite Cot but returned it when the plastic legs cracked on first use. She is only 130 lbs so that did not give us much confidence to try a replacement, took a refund and continue to search for a good, small and portable cot.

Maybe this one is it.
Yes, I find as I'm getting older, the ground is getting harder and my air mattress is getting thinner. Truth is, I'm getting fatter. I've been considering a cot for some time and the Luxury Lite was on my short list, so thanks for you input on the plastic legs. I was a little worried about the design change from the aluminum legs on the originals to the plastic ones on the newer models.
dhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 924
I'm a fan on Helinox stuff (2 chairs&table) but I'm not sure about this one. 21x6x6" packed and 5lbs makes it the size and weight of my tent (or bigger). I've also found that if it gets chilly the insulated Exped/BA mats are the way to go (also have a LuxuryLite). I bet it sleeps like a dream in warm weather though...and is a lot less fussy to put together than a LuxuryLite. Looks durable too.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
meatwitheyes
Bon Vivant

Oddometer: 1,734
I posted this a while back on one of the other cot threads

Retail on the cot is $299.00... .... That's way out of my price range....

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De.../helinoxcotone

The Taciturn Misanthropist... Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
All education is liberalizing
meatwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Litemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
5 lbs is more than my tent and sleeping bag. The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm Sleeping Pad in the large size is just over 1 lb.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litemup View Post
5 lbs is more than my tent and sleeping bag. The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm Sleeping Pad in the large size is just over 1 lb.
Its more than my hammock, bag, mattress and tarp. But helinox make awesome stuff and this looks like a nice piece of kit.

As far as weight for many who would carry this, 4.4 lbs is probably not a big deal. I'm 5'9 175 with an FJR. I doubt the bike would care about those extra few lbs.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Wife and I just bought two Helinox chairs - they are freakin' awesome! The cot looks cool, too, but as someone else mentioned, the Neoair Xtherm is 2.5" thick and super lightweight...and good R value for cooler weather.

Wife and I are re-outfitting all our backpacking gear which is 10+ years old in prep for a backcountry hiking trip in Glacier National Park this summer. I'm spec'ing out all the gear to do double duty on the motorcycle.

Xtherm's are next!

Buy the cot and let us know how you like it!
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Before I even opened this thread I expected an atmospheric pricetag...my guess was $199 but I got blown out by $100 even.

At 5lbs I don't see the relevance for moto camping but I'm in the light-minimalist crowd. Seen plenty on ADV with Kermit Chairs folded up on the back of their bike...also a 5lb piece of kit. I suppose the weight wouldn't matter as much if you're doing more adventure touring
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
Before I even opened this thread I expected an atmospheric pricetag...my guess was $199 but I got blown out by $100 even.

At 5lbs I don't see the relevance for moto camping but I'm in the light-minimalist crowd. Seen plenty on ADV with Kermit Chairs folded up on the back of their bike...also a 5lb piece of kit. I suppose the weight wouldn't matter as much if you're doing more adventure touring
Yep, a lot of money, but this battered old body is a temple and I like to give it the best maintenance I can..........

For now, I will continue to use my Go Kot but SWMBO will have a look at the Helinox. When you are already at $229 for a Luxury Lite, this isn't a big leap, if it is built to last.

The GK has more than paid for itself over the years as a camping comfort, and spare bed for the cabin. Much heavier but packs down to bike size.

PS. have a pair of Kermit chairs for over 10 years, they are good kit. Had to replace the pins a few times but everything else is holding up well.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.

Montague screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 01:23 PM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
i guess i'm a fan of a sleeping pad. coldest i've ever been in my life was sleeping on a cot in the army. i later said "screw orders" and laid on the ground with my roll mat.... i warmed up shortly after.
'07 GZ250 (wife)
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
I don't see a 21" long by 5"x5", 5lb cot being worth $300.

I have a cot, packs to the same size as a Kermit chair, 22"x5"x3". Weighs about 5lbs, the supports are steel, but the price is right at $20. Takes a few minutes to put it together, I would not bring it on an overnight trip, but if I was camped at the same spot for say a long weekend or a week then I would.

I'll see if I can find the brand, I picked it up at Campmor, I think they were $18 or so each, or possibly from sportsmans guide.

I think I put up a review a few years back, I'll try to find the link.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
I'm sort of interested. I use a LuxuryLite, have only had it for one season. It's the first cot that I've taken in my touring gear and I am very pleased with it. The ONLY benefit I can see with the Helinox is really the ONLY downside with the LuxuryLite and that's the setup/takedown time and tedium involved.

The down side is the huge pack size. It's at least as big as my tent. I pack a lot of gear. I don't know what i'd be willing to leave behind and I can't think of anywhere else I can hang more luggage on my bike. The LuxuryLite has already caused some upheaval in my packing ritual, given that it's about 20 times larger than the Big Agnes Air Core mattress it replaced. Even though I could also leave behind the 4-D cell pump, it still caused a few problems that I admittedly have not fully solved yet.

So I'll keep my eye on this little bit of gear. I don't see the (steep) price as a deal killer but if it should come down over the summer and the reviews from users are positive, I might have to try it.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,908
I'm thinking adding this on top of the Helinox would be nice.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Switch+1P

Old 02-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Sure but I need a roomier tent. It's not just me, but also lots of gear that I keep dry in there.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote