User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
G.Man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
BMW Summer 3 vs Summer 2 Pants

I saw the Summer 3 at the dealer recently and they look great.

Does anyone know if they shrink after washing? I've heard that the Summer2s will.

More importantly, what are the differences between the 2s and the 3s?

Thanks in advance.
G.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Summer 2 never shrunk on me. It was a heavier nylon/cordura blend type material with great knee/shin armor and hip armor. I purchased a pair of the Summer 3 because they were a lighter weight which was better for actual summer use in the SW, but I thought they were not much thicker or more protective than a pair of Carhart pants or jeans. The armor was also much smaller and I thought hip armor wasn't included with them so I sold them. The Summer 3 are made of a cotton blend IIRC because when I bought them, I was between sizes and bought the larger size thinking I could shrink them after washing/drying them. They did shrink a little but not enough to make a difference for me.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
G.Man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Summer 2 never shrunk on me. It was a heavier nylon/cordura blend type material with great knee/shin armor and hip armor. I purchased a pair of the Summer 3 because they were a lighter weight which was better for actual summer use in the SW, but I thought they were not much thicker or more protective than a pair of Carhart pants or jeans. The armor was also much smaller and I thought hip armor wasn't included with them so I sold them. The Summer 3 are made of a cotton blend IIRC because when I bought them, I was between sizes and bought the larger size thinking I could shrink them after washing/drying them. They did shrink a little but not enough to make a difference for me.
Thanks for sharing.

So the main difference between 2s and the 3s is the lighter weight?
G.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Man View Post
Thanks for sharing.

So the main difference between 2s and the 3s is the lighter weight?
Yes and the smaller knee pads. On the 2's the knee pads go down the shin a bit and wrap around the sides. Best knee pads I've ever owned. The Ralley 2 and 3 also use the same pads. The 3's knee pads are minimal, but decent for pants worn when who you need something to ride around town in and not look like a Power Ranger. IMO, the 3's look more like regular cotton cargo pants where the 2's look more like nylon hiking pants if that matters to you.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,343
The 2's are coated, not sure with what, but it's almost like the wax coating of the old Belstaff. Light rain will not penetrate them and they seem to be a bit more windproof than a similar type of pant, maybe it's the super tight weave of the material.

I wore a pair around the US for 6 months.

I'll be having a tailor add a zipper up the side of the zip of legs at the seam so they can be removed without removing boots.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote