Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
Alpinestars Toucan are in my opinion the most protective boot you'll find this side of a motocross boot.
I liked the look and construction of the Toucan's, but they didn't come in a "big-boy" size 14. I went with the Sidi Adventure Goretex and have been very impressed so far. Comfortable out of the box and a decent amount of protection.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Alpinestar Scouts.

I did WI to CO and back in mine and they are great.

Comfortable on the bike, waterproof, easy in-and-out, and relatively comfortable to walk in (considering the level of protection.)

I would buy them again in a minute.
I've been wearing the scouts for about a month. Value wise I think they are great. Took a couple days to get used to.

I'm not terribly impressed over the ankle protection, however the trade-off is you can walk long distances in them without discomfort and they have a lug sole.

For the money they are pretty good.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #18
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 128
From what I recall, there is a high density plastic shield sandwiched bewteen the outer leather and the liner in the ankle area...

The feel for the shifter is not like wearing a pair of work boots or cowboy boots, but I am accustomed to motocross boots. I have my controls adjusted for these boots and I have never missed a shift or had any issues.

I can see that, dependent on the bike, one could have issues with clearances.

I feel the Scouts are a great compromise between comfort, protection, and keeping out the elements.
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #19
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I am going to be ordering the forma adventure boots soon. Heard lots of good things and they sure look sexy in the brown!
spaceman_spiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #20
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
I am going to be ordering the forma adventure boots soon. Heard lots of good things and they sure look sexy in the brown!
I considered those, but I want a boot with a replaceable sole. I'm getting a set of the Toucans in the very near future.

I currently use the Gaerne Balance Pro which is a very comfortable boot with good protection. However, I've had three friends break their feet in the past year so I'm going try something with a bit more protection. We'll see...
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 PM   #21
bicyclebradley
V-Twin

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbman View Post
I actually had the Scouts before the Toucans. I sold the Scouts soon after buying them becuase of their lack of feel for the controls and pegs. In other words, I was constantly looking down to make sure my foot was positioned properly to shift because i couldn't feel my shifter. Im sure they would have broken in eventually, but i wasn't willing to wait it out. Surprisingly, the Toucans were both way more comfortable out of the box, but they also have better feel in the toe box.
I just got my AStars Scout boots. they are STIFF!!! But i wetted em down and walked around in em and they are okay now.

I missed some shifts at first because there is a lack of control feel, but in about 2-3 days that went away and they are comfy and cozy and flex okay and i can feel the shifter fine. the rear brake use takes some getting used to - with the beefy boots i found rear braking a lot harder than normal, meaning i was stepping on it harderI haha.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #22
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
I have a pair and they really did save my foot in my recent crash. Had a pair of Gaerne Balanced oils and sold them....glad I did and went with the forma

Very comfortable also

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:53 AM   #23
Perspicacious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
There can be only one. Alt Berg. If everything was reduced to the singularity of motorcycle boots, Alt Berg would be that singularity.

I've ridden -7C to +45C. Alt Berg.

But pay attention to the sizing. Get it wrong and they suck. Get it right and it's like 1,000 virgins massaging your feet and wanting more...
Perspicacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #24
dazler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
These boots already saved my foot and lower leg form much more serious damage than just a broken ankle.......so I am a believer in these

Forma Adventures

Could you give more detail of the incident? so you got a broken ankle? wow it must have been brutal.

I might exchange my boots for this ones now that I saw how big the area of the velcro is on the tarrain tx no way i would be able to use my pants over them if I want to.
On this ones it look flat.
how does the molded ankle support feels? would it save you in a slow fall bike on top of boot?
I notice on the forma page that they are CE Certified but give no details as to what test it pass. Frontal, side, rear, crush etc.
http://www.formabootsusa.com/product...venture-detail

from all the D/S boot with a simple design this ones seem to be the most protective out there.
dazler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #25
mamacone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I like the idea of a replaceable sole, however by the time I need new soles the boots have lost the needed/desired support and safety blanket I like.
mamacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 249
Would someone re-educate me on how the sizing run on these? I normally need a 10.5 USA D width. My Sidi are 11.

I tried these two years ago and could not get a pair to fit me, way too wide in the ankle area.

Really would like to try them again and see if I can make them work.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #27
New2Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
I have a pair and they really did save my foot in my recent crash. Had a pair of Gaerne Balanced oils and sold them....glad I did and went with the forma

Very comfortable also
I am glad I found this thread, I was about to pull the trigger on some gaerne balance oil boots but was hesitating cause of the price tag and went to do more research.

Kag and any other owners of these boots:

These formas look just as protective as the balance if not more?

They also look like the soles have more traction when off the bike, did you have a chance to see if one has better traction off bike? (I am not concerned with replaceable soles)

It seems like it might be a little more rigid, did they feel the same when shifting?

Are either waterproof?

Any other major differences come to mind? other than the price tag in formas favor

I already have a pair of Alpinestar s-mx 5 vented boots for on-road riding and they are very comfortable, with good flex but seem to offer little off road protection (as they should, whoops. should have done more research on that one) They also have no tread to speak of when off road http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

I have a crf250L so I am looking for something similar to OP (i believe) a boot that is provides as much protection while off road as possible without going to a full blown mx boot. But also while maintaining enough flex to walk and shift comfortably (as possible). Tread for walking off bike off road is also a must.

There are some great suggestions in here. My list of potentials includes the gaerne oiled boots, alpinestar scouts, fox comp 5 off road boot, and now the forma adventures have really caught my eye and maybe moved to spot 1 the sidi and toucan are a little out of intended price range.

Thanks for all the great info and putting up with all my questions! Let me know if I missed any good choices in my price range
New2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #28
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazler View Post
Could you give more detail of the incident? so you got a broken ankle? wow it must have been brutal.

I might exchange my boots for this ones now that I saw how big the area of the velcro is on the tarrain tx no way i would be able to use my pants over them if I want to.
On this ones it look flat.
how does the molded ankle support feels? would it save you in a slow fall bike on top of boot?
I notice on the forma page that they are CE Certified but give no details as to what test it pass. Frontal, side, rear, crush etc.
http://www.formabootsusa.com/product...venture-detail

from all the D/S boot with a simple design this ones seem to be the most protective out there.

Details and photos in Face plant
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948740

The crash was my fault purely but IMO the Formas (First real ride with them on, even though I walked around with them on for a week) helped in me not having an open fracture of the fibula and prevented a nasty spiral fracture of the tibula....I still had a bad distal fibula fracture but the support of the boot allowed me to stand up, pick the bike up, and ride it out. The ER doc even commented that the boots saved my foot & lower leg from worse damage. I walked on the fracture because of the good boot support.
I owned the Balanced Oils and I sold them because I believed that for the $$ the protection was not what they should be. Plus the soles were slick and not walk friendly. The formas sole has tread and you can walk around in them. I ordered mine from Italy from Motostorm ( http://www.motostorm.it/en/ ) for about $242 shipped. The retailers I contacted here would not match the price. I ordered 46eu and I wear a 11w and they fit good, maybe I should of got a 45 but very very happy with what i got.

The boots are actually very light on my feet and just plain comfortable. No shifting issues at all, water proof and have a very solid secure feeling on your feet. They have a feeling of not putting them on....but strapping into them.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS

kag screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 12:00 PM
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #29
New2Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Details and photos in Face plant
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948740

The crash was my fault purely but IMO the Formas (First real ride with them on, even though I walked around with them on for a week) helped in me not having an open fracture of the fibula and prevented a nasty spiral fracture of the tibula....I still had a bad distal fibula fracture but the support of the boot allowed me to stand up, pick the bike up, and ride it out. The ER doc even commented that the boots saved my foot & lower leg from worse damage. I walked on the fracture because of the good boot support.
I owned the Balanced Oils and I sold them because I believed that for the $$ the protection was not what they should be. Plus the soles were slick and not walk friendly. The formas sole has tread and you can walk around in them. I ordered mine from Italy from Motostorm ( http://www.motostorm.it/en/ ) for about $242 shipped. The retailers I contacted here would not match the price. I ordered 46eu and I wear a 11w and they fit good, maybe I should of got a 45 but very very happy with what i got.

The boots are actually very light on my feet and just plain comfortable. No shifting issues at all, water proof and have a very solid secure feeling on your feet. They have a feeling of not putting them on....but strapping into them.
Thanks for the info, these look my the boot for me! If I could afford the toucan I would probably get that. Do y'all think forma adventure is the next best option in support and protection in that price range?
From the few people who have taken spills in them it seems like it is

Sorry to ask for more details kag but as a new rider who would like to avoid distal fibula fractures. :) If you don't wanna go into it thats cool, but if it was a common mistake that got you injured maybe I could avoid doing the same if you tell us or pm me a little more about it

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #30
New2Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Kag

i read through the thread on your ankle injury. It is making me rethink and maybe want an MX boot just in case. :/

I will rarely be riding in anything more serious that that road in you r photos (maybe a little tighter track and lines by trees but probably not too much more intense)

Do you think you will upgrade to something with more protection or stick with the adventures?

Also I have a crf250L which must be a bit lighter than your awesome bike!