Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #16
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
It doesnt make sense to spend more than what the Symtec people get for their heaters...you can buy from CA Sport Touring or other places,,,,they seems solid and you could buy multiple sets for what the stock companies want and you would be no better off.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommin
Have you heard about Polly Heaters?

Cartridges slip inside the bars - no change to the grips themselves.
Good price, fairly easy install, great heat.

Dave
WOW that is different. Do you have this yourself? How big a hold do you need in the handlbar to snake the wire out on its way to the battery and switch?

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmetzger
Are you using the "motorcycle" ones, or are you using the snowmobile ones? They both use the same amount of power, but it says the motorcycle ones are set tp run a little cooler. Seems to me you'd want them to run as hot as possible...
the snowmachine ones. $18 and hot enough to cook on...perfect.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkreig
WOW that is different. Do you have this yourself? How big a hold do you need in the handlbar to snake the wire out on its way to the battery and switch?

Thanks for the tip!
We just put these on a Uly. The holes (two) are 3/8" to sleeve the wire out of the bar. His supplier sent him the wrong grips so we put the snowmobile grips in. They run so hot that you can't use them on high. I don't know if that is because they are not mc grips or they just run that hot. Seemed ok for me on the low position. I like to use thin leather gloves so need a little more heat than an insulated glove. The diameter of the unit is supposedly 5/8". I have tappered bars on my 950 KTM and oredered them for it, but my bar diameter is only 1/2". I will bore the ends out when the units get here and I can measure the outside diameter precisely. Please no safety comments- I just don't care if the bars break because I tried something with them.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #20
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Last post is 6yrs old so I'm wondering if there are any new heaters on the market that are better/more efficient technology or just better all around for DS bikes. I've got a couple KTMs (see sig) that need heated grips.

Thanks!

12 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #21
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
My Symtec (now called Heat Demon) grip heaters are still working great after 4 years and they're reasonably priced at about $40. http://www.heatdemon.com/products/Mo...roduct_id=1103
Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #22
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
My Symtec (now called Heat Demon) grip heaters are still working great after 4 years and they're reasonably priced at about $40. http://www.heatdemon.com/products/Mo...roduct_id=1103
I've run these on a few bikes, and other than avoiding their rocker switch like the plague, I've been happy with them, and they definitely offer the best value.

I do keep eyeballing the A'ME heated grips, because on paper they have one of the slickest setups, just hard to swallow the price.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #23
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,139
Second bike, second pair

I've been putting the symtec grip heaters on the last two bikes I've had. I'll be putting them on all future bikes. Like others have said, avoid the rocker switch; get the metal toggle option. I'd also suggest using a relay. Mine get too hot on low, sometimes. I'm going to change the high/low switch to a pulse type, like my W&S jacket uses.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #24
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
I am going to get the Heat Demon internal grips. A bit pricey but the install is easy and I can use the grips of my choice.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 845
I put these on when needed.

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-util...rap-grips.html

DYNOBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #26
DualSpaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
I haven't personally tried these, but Dirt bike magazine gave them a good review. I will definitely try them on my next bike strictly for they way they mount. http://www.amegrips.com/
DualSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #27
OTB
Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer: 7,039
I have installed and used both the Symtec differential winding style and the resistor type heated grips. The Symtec are better made, but the resistor type get much hotter. Here in Colorado I prefer the resistor type.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #28
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Hot Grips!

I've used HotGrips on my last 3 bikes, (15+ years). Never had a failure & easy install on all 3. The grips were all a little larger ("fatter") than originals, & a little harder. I personally like a fat grip & the hard/soft is something each has to decide for themselves, I guess. They all worked well, even with the supplied, simple, low/high/off switch. On my current bike, I've substituted a 3 position , marine rocker switch, ($20) just for the aesthetics. All the grips were were under $100.00. I think they are made in USA, but I can't swear to it. They seem to be a solid, well-made product. I'll no doubt go with them again on my next bike .
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #29
BaldKnob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSpaz View Post
I haven't personally tried these, but Dirt bike magazine gave them a good review. I will definitely try them on my next bike strictly for they way they mount. http://www.amegrips.com/
I have the streetbike version (Chicanes) and for the most part have been a satisfied customer. Easy peasy installation and softer than stock SuperTenere grips but not as long so if you have monster paws look elsewhere. Grips are very warm and there is no big controller to take up space on the bars. My only problems are both sides will turn themselves off briefly then resume. I have had to call "Bob" in customer service 3 times for this and each time he promptly sends me a new one but I really wish A'ME would fix this for good. Overall, 7 out of 10.
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote