Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
forrestlaw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Need versatile jacket for TX (Suggestions)

All three of my moto jackets are now too small (perf. leather, textile, and mesh). I need to buy a new one and want a few suggestions as to a good jacket that would be versatile to wear in Houston. I was thinking textile with a removable rain liner and/or removable quilted liner. It's so hot here in the summer that I will end up buying a mesh jacket over the summer, but I can only afford one right now to get me through the spring.

Suggestions? I would like a nice quality jacket, but nothing crazy expensive like Rukka or Klim Badlands. I wouldn't be opposed to gore-tex, but I don't really want to spend more than about $300 to $400.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Charrito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I've had a Tourmaster Intake for a few years now. It's mesh with a rain liner and a quilted liner. The only issue that I have with it is that the jacket still gets wet as the liner is inside. I now mainly use only the outer mesh shell on really hot days as I have another jacket for inclement weather.
Charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #3
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
I'm wearing a revit tornado in South Florida, a lot of mesh to flow this soup like humid air, and with the liner in and a sweatshirt I've ridden in the high 40's with it.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
forrestlaw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcc46 View Post
I'm wearing a revit tornado in South Florida, a lot of mesh to flow this soup like humid air, and with the liner in and a sweatshirt I've ridden in the high 40's with it.
Rev'it and Dainese are kind of what i've been looking at. Mid-range pricewise and higher quality, but not overly expensive.

The tornado looks like it might fit the bill nicely. How have you found it to fit? Do you wear the same size as in other jackets?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
It's a different cut than the other revit stuff, so you want to order 1 size down from normal. Should be explained in the video.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,135
I just got a Rev'it Sand 2 for exactly this purpose. Light weight, light color, good venting, and waterproof (not Gore-Tex) and thermal removable liners.

I have a cozy Rukka suit for the cold and wet weather, but this Sand 2 seems to be the bomb when it gets hot. You may be able to find a Sand on closeout in your price range.

There are lots of opinions on mesh, but I came to the conclusion (after years of using mesh extensively in the gulf coast region) that when it's really hot and humid (like Houston is in the summer), you need to be able to limit airflow so you don't overheat and/or dehydrate.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Bracton
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Alpinestars Andes Hi Viz. Great jacket, price and it is a waterproof

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 mediante Tapatalk
Bracton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Bracton
n00b

Oddometer: 4
she'll (no need to put and take the waterproof layer). I own a Badland Pro but on a day to day basis I tend to use more the lighter Andes

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 mediante Tapatalk
Bracton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 258
Another option.

I wear an Olympia AST 2 year-round here in Houston. Revzilla has them on clearance for about $200.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I wear an Olympia Nomad. It comes with a rain liner and a quilted insulated liner. The outer jacket has zippered panels over mesh to open it up for ventilation.
For me it's comfortable into the mid and upper 90's (which is as hot as it ever gets here). For low temps I've worn it down to upper 30's. http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog...sition-jacket/
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #11
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I'll throw in a second vote for the Revit Sand 2. Extremely comfy. Terrific venting; about 75% of what you'd get from a full mesh. And as one of the more knowledgeable inmates already noted, it's entirely possible to have too much venting. Out in the breeze on a motorcycle you can turn yourself into a potato chip pretty easily. And when things turn chilly, the quilted thermal liner in the Sand 2 isn't an afterthought. It's pretty damned effective.

As to zip-in rain liners, I've never found them to be of any use. I can't speak to things there in Houston but, here in the desert when the rain hits it hits fast and hard. By the time you got through the rather laborious process of zipping the thing in you'd already be drenched. And even if you do get it in in time, you're still riding around with a wet jacket. For me, a rain jacket goes on in no time at all and when the rain stops you're in a nice dry jacket.

Good luck with your decision.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
The Olympia X-Moto ($260) and Moab ($190) would probably fit your needs. I wear the previous version of the Moab (Bushwacker) as my Summer jacket and have been very impressed with it. I've always felt it would be a good "do it all" jacket if I was only going to have one. The downside is the rain liner is also a thermal liner which doesn't really help during a Summer downpour. But the Moab now has two separate liners, thermal and waterproof, which I think fixes the major flaw of the Bushwacker. I have no experience with the X-Moto, but it gets very good reviews. I have been pleased with the quality of my previous Olympia products, especially given their price.

That said, I don't think any one jacket is as good as two (Summer and Fall/Winter/Spring). I also am not a fan of internal rain liners. So I use the mesh Bushwacker in the Summer and keep Frogg Toggs handy for the rain. Then I use my FG Rainier for the rest of the year. When the Rainier wears out, the Klim Overland is the leading candidate to replace it.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #13
forrestlaw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestions. After many hours of reading forums, reviews and looking at revzilla (you know how it is) I narrowed it down to either Rev'it or Dainese. I really decided I liked the tailored, trim European cut of Dainese more than than the boxy cut of the American brand jackets I had before. I do agree that it's so hot in Houston that it's almost impossible to comfortably get by with only one jacket, especially if one of them is waterproof.

The two waterproof jackets I decided on (Rev'it excalibur and Dainese Laguna Seca D-Dry) were both on backorder until the new lines come out in the spring. Supposedly this will be in the next few weeks for Dainese and around beginning to mid-march for Rev'it.

What I ended up doing was ordering a Dainese Airframe mesh jacket for now, then I'll get the waterproof jacket when those two come back in stock. I'll post a first impression and review when it arrives later this week.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,470
Any mesh jacket that isn't crap and has a removable insulated liner. Then add a waterproof/breathable rainsuit. This is easier to deal with than a waterproof liner when it starts pouring suddenly.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some are herders, search and rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our dogpark, our swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
Zojirushi
Surly Sailor

Oddometer: 119
I lived in Houston until last summer and used a Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0. Downside was that the fit is blocky like most American manufacturers. My friends looked a lot better in their Dainese jackets, but they didn't flow anywhere near as much. One mentioned he was jealous of the jacket's flow compared to his Dainese.

That's the good news. The thing flows.

Some are saying you can have too much ventilation. I'm not sure. Do you have to be cognizant of staying hydrated when you're wearing full mesh in 100+F plus 100% humidity? Yep, but at least you're cool. I can drink water, stay cool, and feel good after a long ride. I'm also more alert because I have a lower core temp.

I live in El Paso now. A slight breeze brings about much greater cooling effect on my body due to the lower humidity. I may try a new, less breathable jacket. Maybe.

Finally, I went down on I45 in downtown one day thanks to a lady driving a Jimmy with bald tires in the fast lane. I slid a ways as I was going 70mph. The jacket didn't burn through. Not even close. It did rip off one of those stupid Joe Rocket logos, though.