User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Geo-Thermal Pond Loop Problem?

My Water Furnace brand of geo-thermal system has a loop in a pond ~250' below my home, with the pipes buried in a 3' deep trench to the pond. System was installed in 1998. While the system "works OK" , the pond loop pipes, a cloverleaf affair, have risen partially(as in slightly) above the surface. They were orginaly sunk in the pond & wires with concrete blocks were placed over them to hold them down. The original contractor is long gone. I called one HVAC guy & his answer was "do you want me to do it or you? No "so-called secrets were revealed" and I'm wanting to do it myself for certain.
I may wait until it's above zero...
I'm wondering:
"how do I re-sink these pipes"?
I've considered using sandbags(never found a source for the ones like the military uses,etc.) & could also use more concrete blocks with heavy romex tied on?

I tried a google search & never saw a single solution! The comments are always lacking the detail of the actual means to sink the loop. I had the loop recharged a few years back & has performed OK since then.
Ideas?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,121
I would use cinder blocks tied to the pipe with copper (16-12 ga) wire having pvc insulation. I expect that would fix the 'floating' problem for your lifetime +. I figure, if it's good enough for the mafia...
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,324
A couple of those giant zip-ties on each brick/block might be easier to get on there, and would likely be cheaper. UV resistance won't matter at the bottom of a pond, so you don't even have to spring for the really nice ones. Honestly, if you're using cheap block, I'd worry about it breaking up before either the romex or the zip-ties dissolved.

But then, I've never done this before either.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,031
A quick poke around showed the loops being attached to a framework and then weighting the frame.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Are the pipes made of anything special?
Is it just a decorative pond or do you swim in it in the summer as well?
Or is it a cattle pond where you would have to worry about wildlife?
Is it fixed water level or does it go up and down with the seasons?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Here's a vid showing a pond loop tied to
cinder blocks with heavy wire ties. I think
that's a mistake, as those ties degrade and
crack over time, which may be why your loop
is floating now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y4uOqON4Xo

Also, here is a long thread concerning problems in
keeping loops submerged:

http://www.geoexchange.org/forum/thr...op.1317/page-2
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Are the pipes made of anything special?
Is it just a decorative pond or do you swim in it in the summer as well?
Or is it a cattle pond where you would have to worry about wildlife?
Is it fixed water level or does it go up and down with the seasons?
It's a non cattle farm pond with fairly stable water level. No swimming & I only let children fish it under supervision so no casting at pipes area. The deer stay at edges. Pipes are hvy black plastic roll pipe. They were originally sunk using romex tied to blocks by the contractor in 1998. The cloverleaf shape of the pipes as originally rolled up is intact.
Would be an ice skate project now-I'm planning for summer now
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 01-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleDoc59 View Post
Here's a vid showing a pond loop tied to
cinder blocks with heavy wire ties. I think
that's a mistake, as those ties degrade and
crack over time, which may be why your loop
is floating now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y4uOqON4Xo

Also, here is a long thread concerning problems in
keeping loops submerged:

http://www.geoexchange.org/forum/thr...op.1317/page-2
The second one is interesting -I need more time to read it all. thanks
I do recall from having had 4 different contractors bid on the install that there was disagreement as to loop aspects. I called Water Furnace tech people in IN back then & was assured my existing pond was big enough & went forward with whats there. I have a trench like the first video but much farther from house and only one large cloverleaf loop- I'll guess it has ~150' of pipe in that loop plus the run from house to pond. I'm now thinking they did use large zip ties on blocks to sink the loop in the pond.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I would use cinder blocks tied to the pipe with copper (16-12 ga) wire having pvc insulation. I expect that would fix the 'floating' problem for your lifetime +. I figure, if it's good enough for the mafia...
I've thought that 10ga romex inside black plastic pipe draped over the loop would work
Old 01-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,031
What about internal weighting? Is there anything you can put inside the loop tubing that will sink the tube without taking up too much volume?
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,146
Don't see why you wouldn't just want to use poly rope, to tie blocks together
Old 01-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,954
I would think the blocks would disintegrate after a while. Go to garage sales and buy old bar bells and cast iron weights. You can usually get them cheap and they would last hundreds of years submerged.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
... They were orginaly sunk in the pond & wires with concrete blocks were placed over them to hold them down.
I tried a google search & never saw a single solution!...
Ideas?
Well, I suspect your problem is that you're searching in the wrong place with the wrong search terms. I'd start by getting off Google and into the dark net, then start looking with search terms like 'Mafia', 'disposing of bodies', 'submerging in pond', 'stays down a long, long time'. Stuff like that. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of creative solutions from people that have a lot of experience keeping 'stuff' at the bottom of a pond. People with a lot more at stake than some vanishing contractor... unless, that is, they had something to do with said vanishing

Just make sure you don't offer anyone money to make stuff stay at the bottom of your pond. And, be very, very sure your wife does not decide to just up and disappear any time soon. That would make way too many people very interested in what you searched for and what's at the bottom of this pond, and you don't want that, right?

Sorry,

It's late,

Couldn't resist...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #14
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

This guy's reading too many murder mysteries? Ala where is Jimmie Hoffa...

"my contractor" vanished cause he got old and died naturally.
I don't see poly ropes lasting long-the barbell theory could be "twerked to work" in some fashion like maybe cast some concrete on the ends of a steel T fence post stuck through some plastic pipe then placed on top via a brief double canoe trip into the pond?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 AM   #15
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post
I would think the blocks would disintegrate after a while. Go to garage sales and buy old bar bells and cast iron weights. You can usually get them cheap and they would last hundreds of years submerged.
I never have dived down there to see if they fell apart or the ties that held them broke apart... a mystery for the ages huh?