Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 AM   #121
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
hello again from dreary wet west of ireland, i must have slept in a bit 'cos its nearly the end of january......!!
much water under the bridge since last rant/rave.....

not much time in chunks to write rubbish......so i was passing time reading 'antihero' threads...............!!!.............excellent stuff...................gives ya hope !

i was happy with the tiger explorer bike and all that but got a yearning for something red (maybe too much antihero reading !)

and as the man says - beg, borrow, steal or whatever it takes to get your dream, so i did all of these and some more and made plunge for new (to me) multistrada s..............definite good move...............whole other level and mighty fun.
weather here is crap but still it is great fun, more road bike than 'adventure' but this is what i was looking for all along !
took spin up north donegal to a place called 'grianan of aileach' - an old (1,700 b.c.) rebuilt relic of a place where the cool people hung out all them years ago. i'd say a fair bit of spliff passing and sun worshipping and general good times went on here, at least even on such a cold shitty day the vibe was still very good.
this be view from an grianan.............it was a truly dark and dismal and cold day as the next pic will attest to

but the rosso red brightened up my day !

anyways the sun temple as it was in january (no friggin' sun at all) this place was high and you could see a long long way and im sure if you were smokin' it up with a young one by your side you would surely felt on top of the world there !

and from the inside

wide angle thingy/panorama pic

messin' with the colour option thing on my simple camera

gotta run................as the muricans wood say.........see ya on da flipside
mka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #122
tradex56
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
grande!!!!!

great report!! My eyes shine with your photos. Please, can you tell me what camera you used! Ciao: Clap
tradex56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #123
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 639
Bootiful. Health to wear, chap.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 AM   #124
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hello and buongiorno 'tradex56'..................hope you are doing fine in dear old Italia.
my wee camera is just that............wee or small or picolo............called a nikon coolpix s8200...........i would like a fancy one but this one fits easily in a pocket............and mostly it's as simple as anything. i would put a picture in of it but i just can't figure out how to get it to take a picture of itself.....................as i said it is good but not that good........!!
and hey 'frey'...............many thanks.........i know that you know that the weather is screwed here at the moment.............wind and rain and rain and rain and rain and...............................but eventually it will clear and you have to get your bike up and running (you hinted before that it may be in a gentle state of 'deconstruction' at present).............we have many good roads here that need you creating the sound of noise and the smell of petrol wafting out over the fields into the nostrils of the soon to be born wee lambs...............!!! yuuummmmmmmmm lamb..........!!
thinking of better weather i stick this one in

ciao dudes
Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 AM   #125
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,097
my wee camera is just that............wee or small or picolo............called a nikon coolpix s8200...........i would like a fancy one but this one fits easily in a pocket............and mostly it's as simple as anything. i would put a picture in of it but i just can't figure out how to get it to take a picture of itself.....................as i said it is good but not that good........!!

Wow, I wouldn't change a thing, your photos are excellent! I've gone the pocket camera route too because I found that I was always leaving the big camera home because it was about 10 pounds and a cubic foot of crap with case, body, lenses, flash unit, tripod, etc. I carry a Canon Powershot with me literally everywhere since it fits easily in a pocket and takes very good photos, better than no photos at all anyway!

What a beautiful place you live, and even though it's rainy you are able to ride in January. We've had a real Winter here, woke up to 1*F yesterday morning with three inches of fresh snow. The roads are dicey and the highway folks have put so much salt and sand down that it's like driving on dirt roads everywhere. It's beautiful but Spring and getting back on the bikes seems like it's a long way off still:

I live just a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and am anxious to get back on it, but I'll have to wait a bit... Thanks for the gorgeous pics and a look at your beautiful country!

Doug
Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #126
Frey Bentos
not listening

I know from driving the car and the work van that the roads here are covered in a lovely soupy salt mixture. That Ducati is goint to need an awful lot of cleaning.
Saying that there's a silver one I have seen in Bundoran a few times. Northern reg and covered in road dirt. Looks friggin cool as fuck.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #127
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hey manfromthestix

.....................how's it hangin' ?..............little cameras and all that...............have you tried the gopro thingummybob................? that is some surface you got over there...........biking.........driving.........eve n freakin' walkin on that is madness............looks beautiful and treacherous all at the same time..............i spent some time checking out the beaches in your fair state when visiting a friend who went to UVA in the long ago times....................pretty pretty place..............gotta get back sometime.
heeeeyyyy 'frey'.....................thanks for the soupy information man..............where is bundoran ? hahahahahaha
i was in a local bank car park before christmas (no, not loitering with any intent, at least not this time) guy pulls in on a silver ducati....(might be the same one) got to talking..............he was english but i felt like being polite, for once, so i indulged him ! and he reckoned great bike...........but he told me he hit a sheep on the belcoo to garrison road and showed me the damage..........busted pannier...........twisted brake stem..........handle bars etc all shot to shit..............i felt bad for him but knowing this part of the world is 'bentos turf', i asked him 'how was the sheep ?'
i think he's still putting strings of fu**ks at me......................hahahahahaha !
i tried to explain that i liked sheep but he just didn't get ma drift.................whaddaayyyyaaadddoooo about that ?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #128
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

for those of youse there city slickers i thinked it'd be a good idear to explain wot a sheep is.
dis be a run o de mill kinda sheep you be findin ereabouts in da fields an such

now a belcoo / garrison kinda sheep, well i aint got no picture of them dere kinda creatures no sir..............they is just wild tings.
afterall one of dem critters attacked a man on a bike.............or maybe then again he was just teasin' the guy !
Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #129
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,097
hey manfromthestix

.....................how's it hangin' ?..............little cameras and all that...............have you tried the gopro thingummybob................? that is some surface you got over there...........biking.........driving.........eve n freakin' walkin on that is madness............looks beautiful and treacherous all at the same time..............i spent some time checking out the beaches in your fair state when visiting a friend who went to UVA in the long ago times....................pretty pretty place..............gotta get back sometime.

Yeah, Virginia is a glorious place to ride! I live near West Virginia and it is amazing there as well. Most years the weather isn't too bad except for brief periods so I can ride year-round, but we're having a pretty hard winter here this year. I lived in Wyoming for 34 years before moving here so I'm not skeered of a little snow and ice, but I know better than to ride a motorcycle on it without studded tires. When I lived in Wyo I even had studded tires for my bicycle! I was actually on my way to ski for the day when I took that photo above, so it was a good day for that. Yes, my lovely wife gave me a GoPro Silver3+ for Christmas and I've been playing with it, got some nifty footage of me and my buddy screaming down the ski slopes. I had it hooked up to my bicycle handlebars for a ride too, but it was pretty shaky because all the sand and salt on the roads makes them rough as hell. I can't wait to hook it up to the motorcycles and do a few videos of that. It's a cool gizmo, still learning how to use it, but pretty straight-forward. I challenge you to watch a skiing or cycling video without leaning into the turns in your desk chair , it's mesmerizing!

I'm a geologist so I love it when the leaves are off and the snow highlights the structure in the rocks:

We had a saying when I lived in Wyoming - Women are scarce, men are men, and sheep run scared. I understood your meaning right away, sad to say . We have millions of white-tailed deer to dodge around here and they are horrible about leaping out in front of you from the dense brush along the roads. Some folks call them "flying forest rats" and other terms of endearment.

Doug
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #130
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by mka View Post
i would put a picture in of it but i just can't figure out how to get it to take a picture of itself......................
...Mirror! & self timer..... but be mindful of keeping your own image out of the pic lest ye blow your cover, agent..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mka View Post
i tried to explain that i liked sheep but he just didn't get ma drift.................whaddaayyyyaaadddoooo about that ?
...Don't forget your Velcro gloves.....

BTW, nice pics and words, as usual.
How many bikes do you keep in your stable?
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #131
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

autumn time

Hey Doug..............cool pic of roolly rocks there...............used to study that stuff long ago
............even went to iceland (on a geology trip which turned out to be a totally fully fuelled alcohol binge fest after landing in keflavik airport i have no real memories except for a beautiful girl, i even remember her name...Aska.....the beer was for nothing as it was an american airport base of sorts and the local hooch...man it should have a government warning...............you geologists all drink like fishes ?)
And Shooby, you win the mastermind prize for this week.............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........mirror and self timer..........very good............!! i'd still be thinking about it for years and years...............now if only i could figure out how this timer thing works..........it keeps flashing a big light and blinding me.
just a couple autumn time pics from before the big mans burpday last month
it was a real misty morning and i wanted to get away on a day out but tried out the views

lots of birdys up early for some fish.

i wanted to take a spin to see where my musical hero was born and reared, in case you don't know i'm talkin' bout Van the man, he grew up in east belfast, and i'm not one to intrude but i have had the longing for years and it is not so far away, just the other side of the island..............so it was another excuse to get up and away i guess.
obligatory bike pic

and more birdys !

so it was time to rock and roll...............another wee adventure

Old 02-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #132
Frey Bentos
not listening

I wondered why Dear Old Shaggy was limping. And smelled of Eyetallyon...
Old 02-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #133
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hoping dear old shaggy gets well soon, i lit a candle in the church for her !
so i hit the road with sweet sweet music going round my head like an intoxicating perfume causing the blood to stir despite the cold cold day..........
.........as i got further inland the fields were white with frost/ice and even the puddles on the road were iced over.........but inside my head all was a blazing furnace of saxaphone, harmonica and deep deep blues, greens and reds............i was in another place...........!!!
..........san anselmo................st dominics preview......inarticulate speech.............tupelo honey...........hymns to the silence...............rave on...........gypsy queen...........street choir................linden arden................listen to the lion...................cyprus avenue..................kingdom hall..............wild children.....................coney island...........orangefield.................weste rn plain..............vanlose stairway...............even the great pink floyds comfortably numb.............with van's twist....................orgasmically exstatic stuff..............!!!
time flew and soon i was in belfast............thru the city on the motorway and over big bridge with titanic quarter on left............i was heading for hyndford street, east belfast..................!!
and there i was............at his front door..............just a small terraced house........out of which george ivan morrison used to skip every morning off to school...........it actually seemed a real good place............nice vibe here............and the smell of a bakery nearby imbued the place in a softness.................a quietness...........a place where a boy could grow in life and love.
brown door..little plaque............understated in the extreme.

we honour poets in this country, such as yeats etc...........but this poet lives among us............are we all blind, can we not see...........??

i stood there to take in the history, the mystery, in the moment, and it felt so good.
when the mist in my eyes cleared i moved on reluctantly to witness the places that shaped this mans childhood and saw the spire of st donards...........sunday six bells.........in the distance......

i parked up and no sooner had got out my camera when a wee lady came over to me..........she asked if i wanted her to move her car so that i could take a better picture..............so i got to chat her up.............what a class lady...............she remembered van as a boy, said he could be moody but was a treasure.............she explained something incredible he did for a family whose brown eyed girl had died so tragically young........it brought tears to my eyes..................and further added to the myth...

well, of course i had to mosey on up to cyprus avenue..........all the little girls are on something, something

such an elaborate avenue compared to hyndford street and abbetta parade and sure enough there were lots of school girls out and about in their uniforms as if to stamp the moment in my tiny mind.
the avenue meets up with grand parade

i moved on back down towards beechy river..............beechy river............man does that evoke things............distant sounds echoing across beechy river...........as we sank into restful slumber................and of course that is just the local name for knock river...........but for some reason it resonates..............a wee brook really that slides on by orangefield.

'and the voices whispered across beechie river'
and orangefield feeling wondrous and lit up inside

just normal places, roads, streets and such, and yet put to music, bring life, dreams, hopes and a future

'orangefield'....................and the pylons, the pylons, the pylons

'and meeting down by the pylons..................playing round mrs kelly's lamp'
in the distance the pylons and harland and wolff where van's dad worked for a time

tuning into radio luxembourg....................telefunken.......... ........what's justin doing, now
obligatory bike pic.................just outside orangefield

well, here was i standing there 'higher than the world' tracing something from my head from music i have played over and over and over my whole adult life, worn out so many tapes and scratched cd's from just absorbing this deeply spiritual music.

i make no apology for this rant which is probably a rave because, well, just because.
and to van, if you are out there, somewhere, listening, reading.............i thank you, thank you, thank you..............and i hope i have not tread upon any of your past ...........i just really needed to go there and witness, a pilgrim..................'i believe to my soul'
........you are the conduit
gotta go..................more to come..............if you don't like this i apologise but, no buts, we all have our dreams to keep us alive !
Old 02-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #134
Chris K
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Grand.

Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #135
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i left here in a strange state as i hoped i hadn't diminished anything by being here......................all was well..................all was even better
than well.....................hmmmmmmmmmm......greatttt tttt....!!
now, one of the amazing things about belfast is that while george ivan was growing up in hyndford street another boy with the name george was born not very far away, in fact only a matter of yards, he as it happens was the great and gifted footballer george best.
georgie best was my hero when i was a boy....................definitely the most gifted soccer player ever.................he was amazing.
george grew up in burren way, just a couple of roads over from george ivan.................so i had to, just had to slide over to visit his old boyhood house.

another plaque, as ever totally understated.

i walked around and just round the corner were the fields where george would have dazzled as a young boy.
big apartment blocks/flats overlooked the green fields and plenty of coloured flags adorned the lamp posts.

i didn't get quite the same vibe here as up on hyndford street but it was very pleasant just the same (no bakery smells).

george best blazed like a meteor, he was fantastic, glamorous, witty and as i will repeat, the greatest footballer ever...!!!

my pilgrimage complete, my mind full of stuff, it was time to bid east belfast adieu...........!!
so away i went, back the way i had come, and soon i needed some petrol.
so i pulled off the motorway and ended up in another quite famous area, near the church at drumcree, near portadown.
i was hungry and cold and the sun was going down, so i filled up, got coffee and a lion bar (!), and sat outside beside an atm...!
great place to chat up ladies, i didn't know this before..............but as i sat some very pretty ladies kept coming over to the atm to get money.............and me being shy and all, i chatted every one of them young and not so young............i must have been buzzing cos each one left the atm smiling.............maybe it was laughing (at me)..........!!!

as the sign says.................'remember your bag' !......................and 'ask for a box' !

i was running late so i didn't stay for the table quiz................and it was getting cold cold cold and dark dark dark
i had had a great day.................a truly great day..........and sailed home on a cloud of contetedness.........!!
join me again, for another trip, somewhere...........!!...................thank you for your patience as always.