User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
Bmw k1300gt.

I seem to remember having a test ride on the GT a few years back. I remember using the term "jet powered armchair" along with a few choice expletive when the taps were opened.
Has anyone got one / had one?
Thoughts?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
I seem to remember having a test ride on the GT a few years back. I remember using the term "jet powered armchair" along with a few choice expletive when the taps were opened.
Thoughts?
I tried to follow one on my 30hp scooter last year.

It was doing great until the guy noticed me.

Jet powered is right, HE WAS GONE IN SECONDS.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 471
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=23713

I have a friend who has a K1200GT. I have ridden it many miles, it is a brilliant bike. Unfortunatly, he has had a number of problems with it. The K12 and the K13 are quite similar.

I considered a K13 for a while, but decided against it. There's too many threads like this out there. Some say the reliability problems are overblown, I say where there's smoke there's fire.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Thoughts?
The K bike lineup is down to just 1 bike. I suspect BMW will kill the line off in a year or two.

M
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milar View Post
The K bike lineup is down to just 1 bike. I suspect BMW will kill the line off in a year or two.

M
Eh?

We still have R, S and the 2x1600 in the shops.
That's four.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Test ridden one only. Incredible bike. I personally like it better than the K1600GT. But would I buy one? Not a chance. Because I've also ridden a C14 Concours. Also incredible bike. Half the cost for a used one, better quality bike (The last is just my personal opinion. I've been riding BMW for 33 years, and it just seems to me their quality has gone to crap. Love my GS, but pretty sure my next bike will be a different brand.)
Old 01-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Attack Pug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
I have one what would you like to know ?
Attack Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
Do you like it - any issues?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
johnwoodsrides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I had an '06 K1200GT, bought it for 2 up with my wife. More comfortable than my K1200S, but turns out she just doesn't like riding...........

The GT has great wind protection, but depending on your height, you might need to look at after market shields, as I experienced buffeting at speed. I also found that during summer months, it may have had TOO much wind protection, as even with mesh gear, I was hot. Issues with the K12 (air box, fuel strip, timing chain tensioner) were mostly figured out in the K13, but the timing chain may still be a problem. And of course the final drive.

I rode mine down to WV a number of times, to VT, to Buffalo, NY. Great slab bike, eats miles like crazy. Get yourself a radar detector, as it is faster than it feels. I found that for one up riding, it was more bike than I really needed/wanted. The turn in was slow, (compared to my "S"), and it is top heavy in parking lot situations.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 116
I had a K1300GT for awhile. What a rocket. Seemed like 100+mph was its happy place. Rock solid at speed. It was great for the many straight back roads in interior Florida. You could set the cruise at 100mph and relax, just for the hell of it. The GPS said we did 156mph one day. But......at normal, close to legal speeds it was....kind of a yawner. And the wind noise and buffeting was
awful compared to the 1200RT I traded for it. Plus it was a top heavy pig at rest. The 1200RT is one of the best high end touring bikes out there if that's what you are looking for. I got the 1300 for the big HP. But after a while I thought I was spending way too much time going way too fast with less comfort at than the RT. It was fun for awhile tho.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,011
I have a K1200GT. Smooth and fast. And heavy.

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #12
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=23713

I have a friend who has a K1200GT. I have ridden it many miles, it is a brilliant bike. Unfortunatly, he has had a number of problems with it. The K12 and the K13 are quite similar.

I considered a K13 for a while, but decided against it. There's too many threads like this out there. Some say the reliability problems are overblown, I say where there's smoke there's fire.
information liked this is what stopped me from looking toward buying one.

there used to be a very worthy article here: http://ashonbikes.com/content/bmw-k1...que-comparison that must've been nuked for some bizarre reason. this was a comparison between the real world useable torque of the k1300gt vs k1600gt... based on enging rpm at speed doing roll on testing in comparison to weight. (using final drive ratios at speed. torque at 60mph due to engine being in certain rpm etc) totally made sense on why the k1300gt was more responsive than even the BEAST.

and with the additional positives that come with a lower weight... seemed ideal for those that don't tour around two up. seriously would want a k1300gt over a k1600gt for solo riding. (95% + here)

but.... (and damn this but) there seems to be a few niggling problems that won't let me look further. seemingly simple shit that must be fixed (or close to it) on other models... if there were a "real world" solution for the SWITCHGEAR issue for instance. like an owner could have one built up a special way, knowing it was capable and durable. but if not... then forget about it. (for me at least)

seems they have these issue resolved for the k1600... but just not going to go back and fix the k1300gt since it's dead now they are so heavily vested in the big six.

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 10:21 AM
KoolBreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #13
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
nice: http://cycle-ergo.com/Dyno.html

stolen from: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=33232
KoolBreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
information liked this is what stopped me from looking toward buying one.

there used to be a very worthy article here: http://ashonbikes.com/content/bmw-k1...que-comparison that must've been nuked for some bizarre reason. this was a comparison between the real world useable torque of the k1300gt vs k1600gt... based on enging rpm at speed doing roll on testing in comparison to weight. (using final drive ratios at speed. torque at 60mph due to engine being in certain rpm etc) totally made sense on why the k1300gt was more responsive than even the BEAST.

and with the additional positives that come with a lower weight... seemed ideal for those that don't tour around two up. seriously would want a k1300gt over a k1600gt for solo riding. (95% + here)

but.... (and damn this but) there seems to be a few niggling problems that won't let me look further. seemingly simple shit that must be fixed (or close to it) on other models... if there were a "real world" solution for the final drive issue for instance. like an owner could have one built up a special way, knowing it was capable and durable. but if not... then forget about it. (for me at least)

seems they have these issue resolved for the k1600... but just not going to go back and fix the k1300gt since it's dead now they are so heavily vested in the big six.
I've had a k12s for years
no breakdowns.
couple of fixs when new
airbox.
otherwise nothing
only thing is a clunky gearbox.
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 AM   #15
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
but.... (and damn this but) there seems to be a few niggling problems that won't let me look further. seemingly simple shit that must be fixed (or close to it) on other models... if there were a "real world" solution for the final drive issue for instance. like an owner could have one built up a special way, knowing it was capable and durable. but if not... then forget about it. (for me at least)

If you can afford these bikes, you can afford the final drive swaps.

I'd check the "mean time between failure" if it's something that can be
calculated and replace it before it fails.

My Flickr gallery