User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #46
jimmycorp
adventure lurker

Oddometer: 180
I've always uses Brother brand laser printers since 1996. They are cheap, reliable workhorses. With durable cheap toner.

Right now I have the MFC SOMEshit can't remember the model. Its a scanner copier printer FAX and its wireless. So no cables and it services 2 computers sometimes 3or 4 all wirelessly.

Also have the brother hl2070N. Network laser. Also wireless. Had it for about 6 years no issues.

Both these printers are ideal for printing emails, and pictures of f'ing everyone's mom. :

I highly recommend them

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #47
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,006
Canon Pro-100.

13x19"

$100 after rebate.

Refillable cartridges for pennies.

I bought two. (That's $200 total.)

That got me a second set of $125 factory cartridges and $60 printhead for $100. AND two packages of 100 sheets of 13x19 paper.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #48
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Fuck HP and every one of their engineers.

I have a Photosmart Premium all-in-one. It's my third; the first two were replaced under warranty (and just barely). One stopped powering on. The other would be on but wouldn't do anything but lie to me about being jammed or having empty ink cartridges. The current one so far has worked for a year but needs a reboot sometimes so it remembers what planet it is on.

I fucking hate HP, but what alternatives are there? You shop for printers, and they are all but the only game in town these days. My father's Lexmark broke. Kodak is the Yugo of printers. I guess that leaves Canon.
Shop harder.

You skipped Epson (the best imo), Dell, Panasonic, Olympus, Polaroid, Sony...

and those are just the dedicated photo printers.

Good all around printers that make great pictures on photo paper are also out there. Once again I like Epson because they use pigment dyes, even though the differences nowadays aren't what they once were.

The only reason I'm focusing on photo printing is because you complained about your HP Photosmart. Adorama of all places http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...&cat2=Printers actually has a broad selection of functions and brands in printers, with some good explanations.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #49
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,460
For normal printing, as I said above, I don't think you can find a better workhorse than the Brother at the consumer level. For an all-in-one, a few years ago, I bought one of the higher end Canon units. It was more like a small office unit. It was basically one notch down from their high end photo printers, combined with a scanner, along with some fax capabilities. The thing was great at everyrhing it did.

A big selling point for me was that it had a separete large black ink cartridge for doing the day to day printing, and those were somewhat cheap. It then had separate color cartirdges as well, so if you ran out of blue, you weren't tossing the whole cartridge (fuck HP), and could just replace a single color for $10-$15. I never used a lot of the photo printing, as it added up between the paper, ink, and I just didn't have a need for much of it. Looked amazing when I did though.

Hopefully for that range of all in ones, Canon hasn't screwed the pooch and started cranking out shit, because they were really nice. I actually liked mine enough to buy one for my mom as well. I wasn't going to give her anything she would have a headache over.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 AM   #50
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I have had a HP8600 for about a year now. I am happy with it. I really like the AirPrint feature. From my iphone or ipad, I can wirelessly print. Maybe my opinion of HP will change in a couple years.
I have one of these as well and it has been very good. The only thing that I don't care for is the paper size sensor. If you try to print on a strange size envelope that the driver doesn't recognize, nope won't print. You can't position the writing on the page and just tell it that it's an 8.5x11 either. I think there are only 2 or 3 sizes of envelope that it recognizes as well.

Mailing labels to the rescue til I use all these weird envelope sizes up. Ink use hasn't been a problem either, seems to be quite efficient.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:37 AM   #51
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I have a Samsung laser printer. ML2525W, I don't even think they make them anymore, it was about 120$ when I bought it, I have two of them in the house. The cartridges are 70$, but they easily last 1500-2500 pages depending on how dense your pages are. If they read 0% toner I've gotten another several hundred pages out of them just shaking the cartridge because they don't artificially stop working. Other manufacturers did that to fuck over the printer refill market, my current cartridge was refilled by office depot.

If I was going to buy a new printer, I would get a colored laser from Samsung. They have a relatively cheap one at $200, the black cartridge is rated for 2500 pages, each color cartridge is rated for 1800 pages. The cartridges are expensive, but the colors should last a very long time, depending your usage (me it would probably be something like a couple of color pages a week). I print in black quite a bit and my currently printer cartridges last for 6 months or more. But I'm not using it in a professional environment, just receipts, airline tickets, documents etc... If I was printing "a lot", say it was my livelihood, I would get a big boy printer starting at 1000$, possibly even just renting a serious printer from a local company and paying per page usage per month.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #52
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Lots of replies, thanks.

Here's what I need: It will likely be an all-in-one. It has to be color. A black laser printer really isn't an option. I also don't need a massively huge machine.

I've heard some decent comments about the Brother line for consumer level printers. I also heard they haven't begun chipping their ink cartridges yet.

I'm VERY reluctant to buy another printer where the ink cartridges cost $35 and they are chipped to "run out" in a certain amount of time.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #53
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,448
The Brother MFCJ450DW is rated very well by Amazon users:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EANURCE/...I1NCSD3NLHUIOY
Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #54
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
The Brother MFCJ450DW is rated very well by Amazon users:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EANURCE/...I1NCSD3NLHUIOY
Yeah, I'm most likely leaning towards a Brother. Will likely keep it under $100, because I've never had ANY printer last more than 2-3 years. I treat them as disposables now. Looks like I can buy the complete ink set for the Brothers for under $50 too. My last Epson was over $80 to ink up. Cheaper to buy a new printer, really.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #55
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I have a Samsung laser printer. ML2525W, I don't even think they make them anymore, it was about 120$ when I bought it, I have two of them in the house. The cartridges are 70$, but they easily last 1500-2500 pages depending on how dense your pages are. If they read 0% toner I've gotten another several hundred pages out of them just shaking the cartridge because they don't artificially stop working. Other manufacturers did that to fuck over the printer refill market, my current cartridge was refilled by office depot.

If I was going to buy a new printer, I would get a colored laser from Samsung. They have a relatively cheap one at $200, the black cartridge is rated for 2500 pages, each color cartridge is rated for 1800 pages. The cartridges are expensive, but the colors should last a very long time, depending your usage (me it would probably be something like a couple of color pages a week). I print in black quite a bit and my currently printer cartridges last for 6 months or more. But I'm not using it in a professional environment, just receipts, airline tickets, documents etc... If I was printing "a lot", say it was my livelihood, I would get a big boy printer starting at 1000$, possibly even just renting a serious printer from a local company and paying per page usage per month.
The Samsung CLP-315W (color, laser, Wifi) I bought from Fry's for $99 is still running strong. The footprint is about the size of a breadbox and it supports everything in the house either directly or through Google Cloud Printing.

It's mostly used to print coloring book pages for my 3 year old.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #56
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
.....Hopefully for that range of all in ones, Canon hasn't screwed the pooch and started cranking out shit, because they were really nice. I actually liked mine enough to buy one for my mom as well. I wasn't going to give her anything she would have a headache over.
After going through HP's like Happy Meals then dealing with teaspoon size Epson print cartridges I finally bought the cheapest Canon wireless all in one I could find. I wanted to try the Canon because (a) it was cheap (b) it was cheap and (c) 30+ engineers couldn't break our Canon printer/copier at work. So I sprung for an MX340 on sale at Staples for like $100. I figured it, too, would be in the recycle bin in a year or less so cheap was the order of the day.

Three years later it is still happily scanning stacks of documents over the wifi, copying and printing just like it did when I bought it. Not one jam, error or other hassle in all that time. Are the photos it prints the best I have seen? Hardly. But I am into this thing for $100 and it has never failed to print, copy or scan for three years. Plus only two ink cartridges that are a snap to change unlike the nearly infinite number of tiny cartridges in the ridiculous Epson it replaced.

As for HP, I will likely still be using my 30 year old 41CX and 11C calculators when I go to my reward. But until you get up to workgroup sized network machines their printers are flat out junk.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 10:16 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #57
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,006
Thanks to this thread.....

Well, as luck would have it....printed my morning report about noon, 30 odd pages. Packed up and went to the next job. Tried to print my report about 3pm, no such luck ! Imaging drum error.

Did some back and forth research on imaging drums vs new printer. New printer won out. I ordered another relatively cheap samsung that still uses the same toner cartridges as my current printer. Next level up printer has different cartridges.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: